Did Southgate Get It Wrong

Poor Saka will get a bit of abuse now for a while, and so will the other two players who missed.

Unfortunately, all were black players, which will make it that much worse.

I'm not sure why Saka was tasked to take the decisive kick- this had to go in following Pickford's save earlier.

More experienced players should have been on that list of takers.

It has nothing to do with Southgate, lets be honest English footballers are over rated, over paid and basically useless at taking penalties. They just haven't got the right mentally and commitment to know how to take a penalty..

Lessons have never been learnt from the past...

It beggars belief that players get played all that money for being PROFESSIONALS but can't score a simple penalty.

The signs were bad when in the Denmark game, Harry Kane took England's first penalty of the tournament and MISSED, only scored on rebound.

England players must be the butt end of all jokes about missing penalties...

8 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Who knows what would have happened if Southgate had made different choices?  Purely a matter for discussion.  What isn't is how well those who pulled the shirt on did, and how proud we are as a nation of them.  Roll on the World Cup next year!

Agree. I think they did brilliant, great performances, and should hold their heads high and look to the future.

People abusing the players on Twitter should find some other team to ‘support’.

Edited by Waldo

When you look how Spain outplayed Italy it shows how far we’re behind,the draw was kind to us but they still had to beat them,a decent tournament but a failure as we didn’t win it.

Italy deserved to win cos they had the better players technically and a manager tactically streets in front of Southgate 

england sat back and allowed Italy to work their way back in the game

this should never have happened and highlighted Southgate had no plan b 

his way was to defend defend defend 

the love in with the likes of Kane and sterling has to stop neither had an effort in 120 min and the latter was deemed unable to take a penalty 

saka was out of his depth last night and his confidence was shot how Southgate could not react goodness only knows a more senior player should have taken his place

as for Rashford then if he ever thinks of taking a penalty again should be made to study the two Harry’s method not strut about like a chicken!

at least Southgate has accepted responsibility probably get a new contract and a knighthood!

When Italy came to life in the second half of normal time England lost the Plot for a while by losing their shape and running around like headless chickens,  that cost us, OK,  in extra time they regainged composure but unfortunately time was running out,  A lot of people if truth be known thought England were gonna get Hammered last night,  well glad they were wrong ,  England took a team with an outstanding record to penalties, well done lads,  I feel sorry for the young lad,  I think Southgates trade of thought was the lad was young and fearless,  never the less it was a big ordeal for him but I think he will be a great player for England and club sides.  they got to the final and give it all, that's good enough for me.

Southgate says it his fault don’t blame the players,if we’d have won then I suppose we wouldn’t have praised the players.

To me it was obvious Southgate blew it.

As the Toronto Sun says:

"In the second half, England sat back and defended while Italy pushed forward, and it seemed only a matter of time before the tying goal would be scored."

I agree, and that's when I switched off the TV. Couldn't bear to watch it.

Trying to defend a one goal lead with half a game left against a great team like Italy, was atrocious strategy.

Only with the penalties. His tactics got us through to the final. No easy thing. However, he should have said to them all "No messing about. Hundred mile an hour run-up and blast it!". Those who wimped it should be publicly flogged. 

I'm from Scotland, 

Know bugger all about football (rather be out on a bike)

But what was Rashfords little Jig about ?

Certainly didn't fool the Goal Keeper.

Keep safe.

they are a good england side,but lack the mentality to see it through also the need to learn from the italians,rough it out at times is needed,but i hope all this comes with maturity ,but they have a lot to learn.

I was 8 for the World Cup Final in '66. Doubt I'll last another 55 years till the next one 🙂.