Did Southgate Get It Wrong

So yes England played well but did Gareth Southgate get it wrong.In my eyes Grealish should have been  on from the start,Luke Shaw was man of the match for me along with Pickford.So back to Southgates choices.Why take off RICE?????Why not play GREALISH from the start????Why not play CALVERT LEWIN????And why the hell would you put Rashford and Sancho on with a minute to play when they've hardly played all tournament???And lastly Please Everyone DO NOT BLAME SAKA who may I say as played fantastic, for something that Gareth could have avoided had he put out a team that could have won ITALY in normal time.Your previous choices may have got you to the final Gareth but I think you underestimated the Italians,and if you chose wiser it could have been a very different outcome.???

4 minutes ago, Straighttalker said:

So yes England played well but did Gareth Southgate get it wrong.In my eyes Grealish should have been  on from the start,Luke Shaw was man of the match for me along with Pickford.So back to Southgates choices.Why take off RICE?????Why not play GREALISH from the start????Why not play CALVERT LEWIN????And why the hell would you put Rashford and Sancho on with a minute to play when they've hardly played all tournament???And lastly Please Everyone DO NOT BLAME SAKA who may I say as played fantastic, for something that Gareth could have avoided had he put out a team that could have won ITALY in normal time.Your previous choices may have got you to the final Gareth but I think you underestimated the Italians,and if you chose wiser it could have been a very different outcome.???

Why didn't the show pony Grealish have the bottle to take a penalty?

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Why didn't the show pony Grealish have the bottle to take a penalty?

Well maybe given the chance he may have done if you listened to Gareth's interview Longcol you would have heard him say he decided who took penalty's and in what order.And I don't think Grealish is a showpony it's proven he's changed games so on that one your wrong.Break away from the sheep Longcol and be honest Gareth made some bad choices

Rice ran himself into the floor in fairness. He was brilliant - best match hes played, but the italians ran him ragged.

Might have been Southgate who determined the order, again I don't know, but picking saka 5th was an odd choice, I feel for the lad.  

I'd have picked saka or sancho over mount to start - despite going a goal up we never looked balanced.

Southgate will learn from this though I think.

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Rice ran himself into the floor in fairness. He was brilliant - best match hes played, but the italians ran him ragged.

Might have been Southgate who determined the order, again I don't know, but picking saka 5th was an odd choice, I feel for the lad.  

I'd have picked saka or sancho over mount to start - despite going a goal up we never looked balanced.

Southgate will learn from this though I think.

SAKA to start yes don't know if Gareth will learn from this think he only clearly listens to himself.lije I said some wrong choices

9 minutes ago, Straighttalker said:

Well maybe given the chance he may have done if you listened to Gareth's interview Longcol you would have heard him say he decided who took penalty's and in what order.And I don't think Grealish is a showpony it's proven he's changed games so on that one your wrong.Break away from the sheep Longcol and be honest Gareth made some bad choices

Doesn't he pick penalty takers from players who put their names forward?

1 minute ago, Straighttalker said:

Overall, I think we've had a great tournament.   We all reckon we can pick better teams and tactics than the current manager, at whatever level we watch, but that is what we spectators do!

I wouldn't have picked the subs to take penalties, especially those who had only just come onto the pitch.  When we were having trouble getting the ball to stick up front, I would have brought on DCL instead of Saka, as more physicality was needed against their backline, and they were getting increasingly physical.

By the same token, in the competition I would never have played Trippier at left back, and would have chosen Ben Chilwell over both him and Luke Shaw.

Who knows what would have happened if Southgate had made different choices?  Purely a matter for discussion.  What isn't is how well those who pulled the shirt on did, and how proud we are as a nation of them.  Roll on the World Cup next year!

1 minute ago, Straighttalker said:

SAKA to start yes don't know if Gareth will learn from this think he only clearly listens to himself.lije I said some wrong choices

If stones had got on the end of that free kick, Southgate would have been a tactical genius.

Maybe, just maybe we could have scored 2 early doors - which would have been an incredible achievement - the Italians were rattled. But they adapted and we didn't re-adapt until they had equalised. 

But first final in 55 years with a young squad. You'd have taken this after the Scotland game.

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Doesn't he pick penalty takers from players who put their names forward?

That's how it's been done in past. It's all ifs and buts- rashford and sancho score, I'm not sure saka has to take one.

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Overall, I think we've had a great tournament.   We all reckon we can pick better teams and tactics than the current manager, at whatever level we watch, but that is what we spectators do!

I wouldn't have picked the subs to take penalties, especially those who had only just come onto the pitch.  When we were having trouble getting the ball to stick up front, I would have brought on DCL instead of Saka, as more physicality was needed against their backline, and they were getting increasingly physical.

By the same token, in the competition I would never have played Trippier at left back, and would have chosen Ben Chilwell over both him and Luke Shaw.

Who knows what would have happened if Southgate had made different choices?  Purely a matter for discussion.  What isn't is how well those who pulled the shirt on did, and how proud we are as a nation of them.  Roll on the World Cup next year!

I'd go as far as to say we're right up there with favourites for the world. The two Italian CBs will surely retire - they won't fancy running about in 40c. Messi will be 35, Brazil don't look much past neymar.

We'll lose,what Henderson - and he didn't have a great game. The rest will be better. Southgate will be better. As disappointed as we are, we are progressing.

20 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

If stones had got on the end of that free kick, Southgate would have been a tactical genius.

Maybe, just maybe we could have scored 2 early doors - which would have been an incredible achievement - the Italians were rattled. But they adapted and we didn't re-adapt until they had equalised. 

But first final in 55 years with a young squad. You'd have taken this after the Scotland game.

That's how it's been done in past. It's all ifs and buts- rashford and sancho score, I'm not sure saka has to take one.

Rashford may score at times and Sancho also but Rashfords penalty was lazy and he's hardly played Sancho's penalty lazy yet again the very young Saka who I think as played brilliant every time he's played wasn't a lazy penalty at all it was a good save by Donnarama.not going to keep going on about it but Southgate got some things wrong SAKA ON.GREALISH ON CALVERT LEWIN ON LINGARD SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE TEAM , HENDERSON OUT ,RAHEEM DIDNT TURN UP , RASHFORD AND SANCHO SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN BROUGHT ON FOR A PENALTY WHEN NO MINUTES ON THE PITCH.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'd go as far as to say we're right up there with favourites for the world. The two Italian CBs will surely retire - they won't fancy running about in 40c. Messi will be 35, Brazil don't look much past neymar.

We'll lose,what Henderson - and he didn't have a great game. The rest will be better. Southgate will be better. As disappointed as we are, we are progressing.

Yes we are favourites but Southgate needs to shuffle some players he's got loads of good young talent and he's not using it tonight he come unstuck.

Saka should have taken the 1st pen,not as much pressure,I had have Shaw take one and Henderson not players who had not touched the ball.

I'm sorry but Pogba took a penalty for Man Utd and took a right hammering from the media,Rashford deserves some stick too.

Edited by ukdobby