What's Wrong With Young Males-Rotherham Stabbings.

@ECCOnoob

You make some valid and interesting points, as is invariably the case, thank you.

I wanted to ask , do you feel the current sentencing appears to be an effective deterrent? If not, what could be done to change that? It's about saving lives.

3 hours ago, Janus said:

@ECCOnoob

You make some valid and interesting points, as is invariably the case, thank you.

I wanted to ask , do you feel the current sentencing appears to be an effective deterrent? If not, what could be done to change that? It's about saving lives.

People don't think they'll get caught for starters. And it's not the carrying of the knife that's the problem it's the stabbing of somebody that's the problem. 70 odd years back there's a strong chance your grandfather (great grandfather) would have habitually carried a pocket knife. Millions did, and Sheffield made a huge amount of them. I'm guessing he didn't stab anyone. I carry one on my keys. Should I do a 5 stretch if an officer of the law checks my pockets?

Valuing life is a better place to start, and for many - victims and perpetrators- life is very cheap. And if it wasn't a knife it would be a screwdriver or a bottle or a brick.

I just use my penknife as a fob for my hand grenade. 🤥

On 13/07/2021 at 21:31, tinfoilhat said:

People don't think they'll get caught for starters. And it's not the carrying of the knife that's the problem it's the stabbing of somebody that's the problem. 70 odd years back there's a strong chance your grandfather (great grandfather) would have habitually carried a pocket knife. Millions did, and Sheffield made a huge amount of them. I'm guessing he didn't stab anyone. I carry one on my keys. Should I do a 5 stretch if an officer of the law checks my pockets?

Through the late 50s and into the 60s we did just that, commonly carried pocket knives to school, and out of school many kids had "sheath knives", the type worn clipped to the belt in a small holster. Can't remember any stabbings or threats of.

50 minutes ago, carosio said:

Through the late 50s and into the 60s we did just that, commonly carried pocket knives to school, and out of school many kids had "sheath knives", the type worn clipped to the belt in a small holster. Can't remember any stabbings or threats of.

That doesnt surprise me one bit. It's a different mind set. I was given a pocket knife at about 10 by my uncle, mother didnt mind. My sister would have strung me up if id have done the same.