Can Fibre Broadband Be Delivered Via Copper Wires?

Hi all.

Is it possible for fibre broadband to travel down ordinary copper telephone wire?

Or does there need to be a completely new line installed for fibre?

Thanks.

There are two types of fibre broadband; Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) and Fibre To The Premises (FTTP).

FTTC is what the majority of people have at home; the fibre only goes as far as the nearest telephone cabinet, and the rest of the data journey is carried on the usual wiring. So yes, fibre broadband can travel down the ordinary copper telephone wire.

More info:

https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/broadband/help/fttp-fttc-fibre-broadband-guide

fibre to the premises is now being rolled out we have it now in our area but if you are looking for this then note that not all providers offer it

This site is good and you can check what is available for you

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

On 09/07/2021 at 14:47, the_bloke said:

There are two types of fibre broadband; Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) and Fibre To The Premises (FTTP).

FTTC is what the majority of people have at home; the fibre only goes as far as the nearest telephone cabinet, and the rest of the data journey is carried on the usual wiring. So yes, fibre broadband can travel down the ordinary copper telephone wire.

No. In the case of FTTC it is fibre all the way to the local cabinet but when it gets to the copper wires it's then converted and transmitted just like any normal non fibre broadband signal. The speed can then degrade just like any non fibre signal depending on the distance a person is from the local cabinet. It's one of the reasons that the speed can vary a lot with FTTC but it still works out significantly faster than a copper wire only connection.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

No. In the case of FTTC it is fibre all the way to the local cabinet but when it gets to the copper wires it's then converted and transmitted just like any normal non fibre broadband signal. The speed can then degrade just like any non fibre signal depending on the distance a person is from the local cabinet. It's one of the reasons that the speed can vary a lot with FTTC but it still works out significantly faster than a copper wire only connection.

Why 'no'? Haven't you just elaborated on my original point? I saw no need to bamboozle the OP with detail that doesn't matter.

'Do I need a new line for fibre'

'No'

24 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Why 'no'?

Because in the name is a clue. Fibre travels down fibre lanes only and does not as you state travel down copper wire which is what I was pointing out. Notice also the the OP asked two questions not one. Mine was also in answer to the first.

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

Because in the name is a clue. Fibre travels down fibre lanes only and does not as you state travel down copper wire which is what I was pointing out. Notice also the the OP asked two questions not one. Mine was also in answer to the first.

Oh sorry. Thanks for that. I'm sure it helps the OP.

On 12/07/2021 at 12:42, apelike said:

Just to be pedantic - Yes. Fibre Broadband is just a product, which can, using FTTC be delivered into your home using the existing copper wiring. This was the original question - not whether the transmission protocols or fibre signalling would use the copper wires.