Just now, top4718 said:

It's no wonder the cities on it's ar5e in comparison to the likes of Leeds when people have this sort of attitude, I absolutely despair, did some people on here emerge from the womb straight to pension age.

Is Leeds council showing the game on a big screen?

The Central Park one at Newcastle was £12.50 entrance for group games 

I dare say the bar prices were above pub  prices too 

18 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Dull, dull, dull, unimaginative, grey people.

Oh diddums. just because we don't get obsessive a football. No I don't. I find those that do to be the completely dull unimaginative grey people as you say.

In fact compared to many other sports fans, football falls into the literal definition of regulated uncompromising uninspiring herd mentality. Watch them pouring in and out of the grounds all wearing their uniforms pledging allegiance to their chosen sides. They couldn't look less like a clueless flock of sheep following their leader if they try.

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Ha. Brave guy. Now you've lit a fuse.

You brought up the L Word

5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Ha. Brave guy. Now you've lit a fuse.

You brought up the L Word

And surprisingly in Leeds, big screens are in big pubs / pubs with beer gardens.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/leeds-watch-england-euro-2020-20999955

What a surprise (not).

17 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Ha. You were ahead of me.

Just for the record to draw a line under this continued nonsense by certain people I've had a quick check.

Unsurprisingly Leeds Council are not funding a giant screen for the city. Based on the quotes in the Yorkshire Post it seems they have decided to prioritise public health above outdoor screening of some game of football.

Clearly we are not so backward when compared to our rival  as some people seem to think.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, top4718 said:

It's no wonder the cities on it's ar5e in comparison to the likes of Leeds when people have this sort of attitude, I absolutely despair, did some people on here emerge from the womb straight to pension age.

Is that the same Leeds who aren’t showing the game, for reasons of public health?

Name us a big local city that is showing it.

There is a fan zone in London (Trafalgar Square) but it's a host city.  Manchester, Newcastle and a few other cities have fan zones but they are being run by private companies and not the Council. Paddy Power has set up the one in Newcastle.  Due to Covid they have reduced capacity. If SCC did set one up people would be on here complaining that it was fully booked and they should of have more space. 

Guest busdriver1

Since very early references to football quote China and the Roman empire, the claim that football is coming home is at best spurious. 

Leaving that aside, as has been said there are so many ways a fan can watch this game it seems strange that people want our council to spend our money on the erection of a large screen that would no doubt have some of the depressing aspects of a real game (rowdyism, vandalism, littering etc.) and then pay for the area to be cleaned up afterwards, and no doubt have to pay for an increased police presence. All this to watch a game that is freely available just about anywhere? 

In 1966 you watched it at home or live in stadium. That was the choice. Did it not count because thousands didn't come back soaked in other people's beer?

Anyway, trains to Newcastle are running you'll need to change at Donny or Leeds.

It appears fairly conclusive that no/very few local authority regions are putting up city centre big screens (it is all being done by private enterprise) this thread can probably be locked / deleted as it is irrelevant

37 minutes ago, MJ01 said:

As I jumped in with both feet without checking anything, can we close this thread to hide my embarrassment.

Fixed it for you.

The scenes around London right now are ridiculous.... Liverpool Street station, Leicester Square and the streets surrounding Wembley.
Kings Cross had to be evacuated this morning as a flare set off the fire alarms.... i'm sure we don't want to see this happening here.