"But I'm still right"

Aye, in your head.

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Absolutely agree. Just looks like another excuse to do a bit of council bashing.

Perhaps if someone like yellow bus events or one of their equivalent offered to host the big screen the council will be more interested, but I agree with others that personally  it's a ridiculous idea and not one I would want our  already dwindling resources being spent on.

It may have escaped people's attention but covid has not gone away. Pubs, bars and restaurants still have very strict rules on numbers and how people access and use their services. At a time when there are still vast numbers of people in the city who are waiting either their first and/or second Vaccines, and in the middle of a very precarious time when the proposed lifting of restrictions could be repealed at any moment, do we really want to be deliberately setting up a mass gathering of loose crowds to watch a game of football.

Yes I get it is a national event. Yes I get it is  a rarity for the National squad to be in the final. Yes I get it is of great importance to many, but not all.  There are plenty of ways people can watch it either in a group or private setting.

Certain people and the hysterical Media may be talking as if the entire world is going to stop between 8-10 p.m. on Sunday but the reality is there are vast numbers of those who couldn't give a flying fig. It's just a football match.

You saying council bashing  you are more tory than anyone here 

5 hours ago, MJ01 said:

As it seems that no other local authority is doing anything similar either, & all the other local authorities have had an equally dreadful 18 months, it seems that no local authority has an appetite for this sort of thing. So SCC is no different to anyone else.

I put it to you, why not put the event on yourself? Perhaps your answer might be that you can't afford it as you've got better things to spend your money on. I suggest SCC would proffer a similar argument.

Maybe it would be time best spent lambasting all the private events companies who aren't taking advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity

Hold on so it's the biggest thing that  will happen in the UK this year  I bet Italy have screens 

2 hours ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

No other local authority has a football heritage like Sheffield….or 3 players in the side born in Sheffield…or have two well supported professional football clubs in the city … what an opportunity to show this once in life time event missed …but it sees the Council have better things to spend money on ….like a cycle lane on Derek Dooley way ..that went well didn’t it ? 

but it’s a pointless discussion as it’s not going to happen..

It is because of woke people who are clueless wake up people 

1 hour ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

Do you follow football

Depends on your definition of 'follow' I suppose. I moved to Sheffield in 2001 & since then I've missed 3 Cefn Druids games - 1 when my wife died  & 2 games when my daughter was in a coma due to a car crash.

But to follow up a previous post of mine, so what 

29 minutes ago, ormester said:

You saying council bashing  you are more tory than anyone here 

Hold on so it's the biggest thing that  will happen in the UK this year  I bet Italy have screens 

What the hell has my political allegiance, which you know nothing about, got to do with council bashing.  At least when I do make criticisms I have sufficient reason to.  

As for your second point, no it is certainly not the "biggest thing that will happen in the UK this year". It is a football match.  Nothing more nothing less. A simple sporting match which, contrary to every obsessive Media publication and Twitterati, a very high number of the UK population could not give two hoots about.

Actually, I will suggest there are a lot of bigger things that will happen to the UK this year which far outweighs a football match. How about the little thing of a global pandemic, the massive changes to economy and lifestyles which desperately need to get resolved and repaired, the major efforts in trying to make sure that the population gets vaccinated against a potentially fatal viral infection....  

Edited by ECCOnoob

Where ever you will have these big screens and great crowds of people, you're going to see a spike in covid numbers - look at the Scotland fans from a week or so back. Forget about cost, this could be a sensible move by SCC.

There won't be a corner of the country you can't watch this match.

Exclusive uninterrupted coverage of the big match at downtown "Padders Bar"

Everyone welcome.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, ormester said:
3 hours ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

Is it? Which woke people?

Glad someone else noticed that, baffling

2 hours ago, ormester said:

Is there some punctuation missing from this statement or is it truly garbage?

9 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

What the hell has my political allegiance, which you know nothing about, got to do with council bashing.  At least when I do make criticisms I have sufficient reason to.  

As for your second point, no it is certainly not the "biggest thing that will happen in the UK this year". It is a football match.  Nothing more nothing less. A simple sporting match which, contrary to every obsessive Media publication and Twitterati, a very high number of the UK population could not give two hoots about.

Actually, I will suggest there are a lot of bigger things that will happen to the UK this year which far outweighs a football match. How about the little thing of a global pandemic, the massive changes to economy and lifestyles which desperately need to get resolved and repaired, the major efforts in trying to make sure that the population gets vaccinated against a potentially fatal viral infection....  

It's a football match  you just answered my question  there and Your complete ignorance  never lost Your arrogance too have You lol .

20 minutes ago, ormester said:

It's a football match  you just answered my question  there and Your complete ignorance  never lost Your arrogance too have You lol .

What question was that an answer to?

8 hours ago, MJ01 said:

Is there some punctuation missing from this statement or is it truly garbage?

Its his usual MO on this forum. Make an unualified statement and then return to the thread a day later and get pissy at everyone who doesnt agree with it. You cant teach pork.

Edited by HeHasRisen