Suggestion To Mods Re Some New Post Abuses

There seems to have been an increase in abuse recently by some newbie chancers usually shot down quickly by the mods but still representing an annoying intrusion into what is a good forum. Would it be possible administratively for all new entries by contributors having a score of 5 or less to held back until vetted and only released for inclusion by the mods when confirmed as compliant and genuine?  Obviously all of our mega posters started somewhere, and in their early days new posters  would inevitably have to suffer some delay in their first entries, but if possible this would act as a strong  disincentive to these opportunistic time wasters  and free things up for use by legitimate members, the vast majority.       

Edited by silverglade5
typo

Not sure what you mean "having a core of 5 or less" unless you mean have made 5 posts.

If a member is the type of person you describe, they may not cause the issues you describe until a few months for example. So that would cause unnecessary time/ work etc for the mods.

Best to wait until the issue arises, then deal with it like the previous mods used to deal with it

7 minutes ago, Janus said:

Not sure what you mean "having a core of 5 or less" unless you mean have made 5 posts.

If a member is the type of person you describe, they may not cause the issues you describe until a few months for example. So that would cause unnecessary time/ work etc for the mods.

Best to wait until the issue arises, then deal with it like the previous mods used to deal with it

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

That bit did make me laugh! :thumbsup:

OPs suggestion would stop this sort of thing - 

3 hours ago, silverglade5 said:

There seems to have been an increase in abuse recently by some newbie chancers usually shot down quickly by the mods but still representing an annoying intrusion into what is a good forum. Would it be possible administratively for all new entries by contributors having a score of 5 or less to held back until vetted and only released for inclusion by the mods when confirmed as compliant and genuine?  Obviously all of our mega posters started somewhere, and in their early days new posters  would inevitably have to suffer some delay in their first entries, but if possible this would act as a strong  disincentive to these opportunistic time wasters  and free things up for use by legitimate members, the vast majority.       

By increase in abuse are you meaning spam posts? 

3 hours ago, silverglade5 said:

who are these newbies you speak of?? i havent come across any?

Edited by ab6262

After a glitch looks like SFBecca is right on top of the spam problem, works just fine.

3 minutes ago, butlers said:

After a glitch looks like SFBecca is right on top of the spam problem, works just fine.

What glitch? 

2 hours ago, SFBeca said:

By increase in abuse are you meaning spam posts? 

Yes, the 1 or so post cut and run spam merchants who know what they are about and expect to be deleted although their exposure over perhaps a couple of hours may be of some commercial benefit. 

Edited by silverglade5
amendment to text

@silverglade5 I would imagine (hope?) that SF members are intelligent enough to spot spam and either (a)disregard it or (b) report it, as I always do, thus allowing @SFBeca to remove as soon as possible and take whatever else action she can do to sterilise the originator.

This is an ongoing issue for any public forum -some have quite strict and sophisticated 'out of sight' methods of combatting it.

50 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@silverglade5 I would imagine (hope?) that SF members are intelligent enough to spot spam and either (a)disregard it or (b) report it, as I always do, thus allowing @SFBeca to remove as soon as possible and take whatever else action she can do to sterilise the originator.

This is an ongoing issue for any public forum -some have quite strict and sophisticated 'out of sight' methods of combatting it.

Many of us report these entries to the mods, including me, but you appear to misunderstand the intention of my post which was to question whether these spam entries could be stopped at source rather than being allowed automatic exposure before being removed as at present. My question was whether  it was possible to remove the incentive from these people, not to correct things when the 'advertiser' has had his or her fifteen minutes of fame as the saying goes.    

Is there not something that can be added to the forum signup page like a question a bot wont know the answer to?

Edited by HeHasRisen