Caveat Emptor Fair?

On 09/07/2021 at 20:28, Carbuncle said:

I am not sure about the 'and rightly so'. In the consumer arena, the law attempts to protect ignorant purchasers from knowledgeable sellers. I think the purchasers of flats in buildings with substandard cladding deserved better and better law would allow them redress against the developers of those buildings.

I think the issue of cladding is for an entirely separate thread.

Edited by poppet2

8 hours ago, ab6262 said:

Any purchaser has to use a solicitor and as such they are obliged to ask certain questions of the vendor to ascertain the quality of the purchase, with the current situation with cladding any solicitor not asking the right questions would be negligent.

Again, this is for a cladding thread, however, prior to Grenville, the issue of cladding was purely under the pretext of improving properties by preventing draughts and making the flats look aesthetically better externally. Why would leaseholders consult their solicitor's over something 
which gave the impression of improving their property?

Edited by poppet2

12 hours ago, poppet2 said:

Believe it or not, one of the presenter's from 'Homes under the hammer!!! " Yes, one of the presenter's. 🙄 Unbelievable. 

https://ascotmortgages.co.uk/blog/home-hammer-presenter-not-follow-house-buying-advice/#:~:text=One of the presenters of,of the property auction trade.span widgetspan widgetpan widgetspan widget

plenty of people buy without viewing, you take a calculated risk, i have done also from a picture and got an absolute bargain even though it need the works, who dares wins. Caveat Emptor applies in what ever you buy unless you have asked specific questions.

16 hours ago, francypants said:

No they don't.   The purchaser can do all the necessary conveyancing themselves ( but it is advisable to use a solicitor )

yes i know and you would be pretty dumb to do so.

Edited by ab6262

On 09/07/2021 at 16:11, Jeffrey Shaw said:

As long as a vendor (V) does not lie when answering enquiries etc. 

At Auction, the vendor is hardly going to volunteer information when trying to off- load a dodgy property. However, I'm surprised Caveat Emptor applies to even non auction properties which requires far more stringent checks by the Buyer's solicitor. 

Edited by poppet2

That's just it, though. It's for P's solicitor to examine and test V's title and documentation, whether on a private/EA sale or at auction.