I have put this request in this section rather than pets because the hedgehog isn't a pet and it will get more views quicker in this section.

The hedgehehog was trapped in the fence wire in my garden and took quite a lot of extricating.

It doesn't want to move and I have emailed the vets but had no reply yet.

I really need emergency vet care but can't use the phone.

Does anyone know a hedgehog rescue home near to Sheffield 12 Hackenthorpe.

RSPCA (wildlife advice); 0300 1234 555
RSPCA Sheffield branch; 0114 2898 050

South Yorkshire Animal Rescue 0114 2349 656
A local charity established to care for sick animals that cares primarily for wildlife.

Hedgehogs
While it is often rare to see a hedgehog, it is a great privilage, however if you see one that is active during the day, something is probably wrong with it. You can either monitor it in the garden or follow the advice given by the British Hedgehog Society on their website
British Hedgehog Preservation Society; 01584 890 801 

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer, Rollypolly.

My problem is that I cannot use the phone and I have emailed the RSPCA and also, the local vets but it appears that emergencies can only  take place after 9.00 am.

Not at all like they show us on the TV.

Link didn't work sorry, there was some one in Hillsborough called Lou Rennison that runs a Hedgehog sanctuary          https://www.facebook.com/lou.barrs

Edited by Arthur Ritus
Link didn't work sorry

Can’t somebody else phone the vet/RSPCA for you?

3 hours ago, Janet24 said:

Can’t somebody else phone the vet/RSPCA for you?

That would seem to be the easiest option. The nearest Vet to you would be:

Sheffield Birley Moor Vets4Pets

Unit 1, Birley Moor Park
Birley Moor Road
Sheffield
S12 4WG

Tel: Telephone: 0114 253 1313

Edited by mrm65
add info

Guest sibon
16 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I have put this request in this section rather than pets because the hedgehog isn't a pet and it will get more views quicker in this section.

The hedgehehog was trapped in the fence wire in my garden and took quite a lot of extricating.

It doesn't want to move and I have emailed the vets but had no reply yet.

I really need emergency vet care but can't use the phone.

Does anyone know a hedgehog rescue home near to Sheffield 12 Hackenthorpe.

Hi Og.

If you message me a contact number, I have a friend who volunteers for Sheffield hedgehog rescue. I’ll pass your details on

Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply.

I kept the hedgehog on a large plastic box in the garage with a big coat to snuggle into and a hot water bottle.

Also left some drinking water because advice was that this is better than something to eat.

Kept it  for about 18 hours and set it free on my front lawn with loads of mealworms for him and his partner in the early hours of the morning.

They have gone back to their nest (wherever that may be) and I expect they will be back tonight as they usually do.

Will make sure the gate is open at night so he doesn't have to squeeze through the wire again.

I was worried because he must have spent 6 hours or more, tightly trapped with his feet mostly off the ground and looked as if he was dead when I first found him.

To those who referred to someone phoning for me, that is what usually happens but circumstances meant that I had no-one to ask.

Life can be difficult if one can't use a phone and we wouldn't need to go asking others if people would just provide an email address and MAKE SURE THEY ANSWER THEM.

Society shouldn't just run for the able bodied - we all need help or advice at times.

I value highly, the work that the RSPCA and vets do but, neither the vets nor the RSPCA got back to me at all yesterday so it's lucky the creature wasn't injured.

Glad you've had a happy end to your hedgehog story and hope he's learnt his lesson.