How Much Would Springer And Hodgkinson Be Worth Today

These were class acts of their time . No fancy gloves to catch the ball and only  a flat cap to keep out the sun. Them case balls hurt on a winters day

How much in today’s market then if Ramsdale is at £40m say?

Just now, Man in Crete said:

These were class acts of their time . No fancy gloves to catch the ball and only  a flat cap to keep out the sun. Them case balls hurt on a winters day

Title Should say Springet of course 

I saw Alan Hodgkingson stop three point blank shots with his face the last one knocking him out.....

11 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

Title Should say Springet of course 

I assume you mean Ron Springett, not his brother Peter?  Both played many games for the Owls, but Ron played for longer, and was also in England squads, as was "Hodgie" down the road.

I never saw Peter play (although I was meant to play against him many years later in a friendly after he retired, but it didn't happen).  Ron and Alan were both great keepers, and great servants to Sheffield football.  Sadly, all 3 are no longer with us. 

At their prime, Alan and Ron would have commanded big fees, but that was at a time where transfers were far rarer than today, and players often played most of their football for the same club.

Hodgy was a great keeper... but I doubt he'd make it to a Prem Club (he played with Utd in the old Div1) as he was quite small for a keeper by todays standards... he was 5'8"? Something like that.

7 minutes ago, Vasquez Rich said:

Hodgy was a great keeper... but I doubt he'd make it to a Prem Club (he played with Utd in the old Div1) as he was quite small for a keeper by todays standards... he was 5'8"? Something like that.

He was slightly taller at 5ft 9in.

He was also the World's first ever full time goal keeping coach.

5 minutes ago, Vasquez Rich said:

He was a small keeper, yes, but don't forget that the average height has gone up a lot recently, so he didn't stand out as being small for his time, because he wasn't.  Keepers were not as protected as they are now, so he had hefty centre-forwards bouncing into him regularly without the protection of the ref's whistle.  He played for many years in the top division of the day, against all the top forwards.

The smallest ever Goalkeeper in the premier was 5ft 9in.

The smallest now is 6ft 0in.

15 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

The smallest ever Goalkeeper in the premier was 5ft 9in.

The smallest now is 6ft 0in.

As I said, people are taller now!  The record for England Caps at 125 is held by a keeper - Peter Shilton, 6 foot 0".    Tall for his time then, certainly not now.  As late as 1980 (almost 10 years after Hodgy retired) when Forest won the European Cup they only had Shilton and Anderson at 6"0" and only one other taller at 6'2". 

When Chelsea won the Champions League recently (fielding 5 at 6'0" or above including the 6'6" keeper), the only player smaller than Hodgy was Kante!

They'd both have to grow 6 inches and put on a few stone to be worth anything today. Great in their era. 

Aye, aye, aye aye

Hodgy is better than Yashin & 

John Tudor is better than Eusebio & 

Wednesday are in for a thrashin'.

Wise words in deed.