New Drive. Future Quote

So, I bought a new house in April.

I've like a new drive, with the concrete being replaced, and potentially the little lawn at the front of the house also been turned into a drive (and maybe a low height wall replacing the boundary hedge).

Thing is, having just bought a house, I can't afford it this year at least.... But don't know how much to budget. Would a company quote for work you can't schedule for a year? 

30 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

So, I bought a new house in April.

I've like a new drive, with the concrete being replaced, and potentially the little lawn at the front of the house also been turned into a drive (and maybe a low height wall replacing the boundary hedge).

Thing is, having just bought a house, I can't afford it this year at least.... But don't know how much to budget. Would a company quote for work you can't schedule for a year? 

Given the price rises and scarcity of materials I'd be surprised if many would quote for a job 12 months on or they'll hedge their bets and quote big.

On 04/07/2021 at 20:13, tinfoilhat said:

Given the price rises and scarcity of materials I'd be surprised if many would quote for a job 12 months on or they'll hedge their bets and quote big.

Exactly right.

Our estimates are valid for 30 days only.

Materials cost have increased by around a third over the last yer (if you can actually find stock).

Sooooo, not a good time to buy a drive then! 🤪

17 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Sooooo, not a good time to buy a drive then! 🤪

Might be a good time. Could have gone up by half again in another 12 months! Who knows! 

Material costs aren't the only factor to consider. The pandemic has fuelled demand for home improvements.

We have a few projects that we asked for quotes for. Quite a few didn't respond, some said they're booked up for 6 months+ and those that did respond provided quotes 3 or 4 times the price of very similar work that neighbours have had done less than 2 years ago.

There's nothing we need desperately so we're holding off until the demand levels off and hopefully material supplies improve.