My sons girlfriend a student has just moved in to a rented flat, when she got there she found no lock on her door, so basically anyone could walk in. She questioned this with the landlord who took her round and said he wasn’t putting one on as it’s a fire hazard. There is another student on the opposite corridor also with no lock. Can anybody or a landlord advise if this is correct. I know they won’t be able to take out insurance unless they have their own lockable room. 

On 03/07/2021 at 13:36, Lorraineell said:

My sons girlfriend a student has just moved in to a rented flat, when she got there she found no lock on her door, so basically anyone could walk in. She questioned this with the landlord who took her round and said he wasn’t putting one on as it’s a fire hazard. There is another student on the opposite corridor also with no lock. Can anybody or a landlord advise if this is correct. I know they won’t be able to take out insurance unless they have their own lockable room. 

My own children have lived in a variety of student accomodation, purpose built shared flats and shared houses, and in all they had a lockable door.

It's not a fire hazard, the landlord is either lying, can't be bothered or is saving money unfairly.