What Are People Paying For Gardeners?

Just now, Waldo said:

Why would a gardener pay VAT?

I was talking about a benefit recipient, not the gardener.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand most goods and services are subject to VAT?

Edited by trastrick

18 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I would hope that a personal professional gardener (which infers a house with a garden) is not among the basket of goodies deemed "essential" to one's lifestyle.

Call me an old meanie, but your government cannot maintain "the spiraling current unsustainable National Debt", (  Guardian) and is piling up these debts in the name of the children not yet born who will ultimately be stuck with the bills for these generous (and unsustainable, remember?) benefits.

I think that is really mean and selfish.

In the past old folks, or the infirm, would have their family, or in a pinch, the neighbors help out with tasks like digging the garden, snow clearance from paths and steps, etc.

But today, as government becomes more and more responsible for everybody's personal lifestyle, nobody wants to know, or care.

There are many people on  government 'benefits' and there are many types of  government 'benefits', some of which have been earned and some are to help with disability.

It is not the business of the State to interfere in how a 'benefit' is spent and it is certainly not the business of a foreign resident to tell a British pensioner how they spend their money.

It has been decades  and several generation since children have been tied down to the location of their birth and in particular that women(usually) should stay at home to look after elderly parents.

34 minutes ago, trastrick said:

In the past old folks, or the infirm, would have their family, or in a pinch, the neighbors help out with tasks like digging the garden, snow clearance from paths and steps, etc.

But today, as government becomes more and more responsible for everybody's personal lifestyle, nobody wants to know, or care.

I agree, but I do some neighbours gardens for free. An old guy who I thought would never cut his lawn. So before it got too long, I cut it with my petrol mower, it takes 5 minutes.

I have done next doors garden, she is a nurse, rather than just clapping for the NHS, help them out.

42 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I was talking about a benefit recipient, not the gardener.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand most goods and services are subject to VAT?

I suspect you may have not fully understood something. VAT is a tax businesses charge on sales, but only if they're VAT registered. A business (including sole traders) only has to register for VAT if its income is above the VAT threshold (£85k per year), they can also voluntarily register for VAT. I would imagine most self-employed gardeners are not registered; unless they're doing quite well. 

Just now, El Cid said:

I agree, but I do some neighbours gardens for free. An old guy who I thought would never cut his lawn. So before it got too long, I cut it with my petrol mower, it takes 5 minutes.

I have done next doors garden, she is a nurse, rather than just clapping for the NHS, help them out.

People like you are the glue that holds communities together.

Just now, Waldo said:

I suspect you may have not fully understood something. VAT is a tax businesses charge on sales, but only if they're VAT registered. A business (including sole traders) only has to register for VAT if its income is above the VAT threshold (£85k per year), they can also voluntarily register for VAT. I would imagine most self-employed gardeners are not registered; unless they're doing quite well. 

I understand.

Still doesn't make sense to do more work (or report cash income) that puts you over the threshold. I believe that most smart people wouldn't want to get wrapped up in the VAT red tape if their income is around that level.

6 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Still doesn't make sense to do more work (or report cash income) that puts you over the threshold. I believe that most smart people wouldn't want to get wrapped up in the VAT red tape if their income is around that level.

More often that not, I would imagine a business would not want to be registered for VAT, it's extra admin (accounting etc) and an additional charge to their customers per sale, like 17.5% or whatever it is now (depends on what's being sold, there are different rates of VAT for different categories of things).

I would have thought with gardeners, or any other cash business; the concern would be are they failing to report income to HMRC, and  so avoid income tax. Is that what you had in mind?

Edited by Waldo

Just now, Annie Bynnol said:

There are many people on  government 'benefits' and there are many types of  government 'benefits', some of which have been earned and some are to help with disability.

It is not the business of the State to interfere in how a 'benefit' is spent and it is certainly not the business of a foreign resident to tell a British pensioner how they spend their money.

It has been decades  and several generation since children have been tied down to the location of their birth and in particular that women(usually) should stay at home to look after elderly parents.

I was born in Sheffield, during the war, to a single mother, and I can assure you I have traveled the World extensively.  Nobody "tied me down".

We kids didn't leave our dear mother to be looked after by the government.

As for being a foreign resident, I take an interest in government expenditures because in addition to the $millions I paid in taxes from my Canadian Business over 40 years,, I paid taxes for 7 years in Britain, and never received a penny in return. I don't even qualify for a full Canadian pension. My taxes took care of the needs of a lot of people,  so don't lecture me

The term "foreign" when describing a person sounds a bit discriminatory, don't you think?

Especially when a lot of Brits were happy to have the "foreigners" at the EU tell them how to spend their money, Lol

Just now, Waldo said:

More often that not, I would imagine a business would not want to be registered for VAT, it's extra admin (accounting etc) and an additional charge to their customers per sale, like 17.5% or whatever it is now (depends on what's being sold, there are different rates of VAT for different categories of things).

I would have thought with gardeners, or any other cash business; the concern would be are they failing to report income to HMRC, and  so avoid income tax. Is that what you had in mind?

You have it right.

In my more recent 5 year return to live in Sheffield and Lincolnshire, I found the under the table market was far more rampant than the 10 -12% reported by the government.

But that's what happens when  governments get too greedy.

I believe that the taxman urges businesses to register for VAT if the latter think they might be on or over the threshold at the end of the tax year.

20% is quite a chunk to pay over to the government on top of services rendered, although if the business is not registered for VAT then that's a prize worth having?

3 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Don't understand the good man bit. Are those charging 12.50 an hour not good? Not exactly a making a fortune at that rate.

It  is ok, because the post was for Cid. I believe he is a good man based on  our communications. 🖒

Edited by Janus
Typo.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

Just seen your post Cid. Thank you for doing what you do. I wish there were  more people like you.

Seen many a Gardner in S11,S7,S10,I maybe wrong but I bet they don't charge £12.50 a hour.