What Are People Paying For Gardeners?

9 hours ago, carosio said:

20% is quite a chunk to pay

Ah yeah, current VAT rate is 20%, not 17.5%; I was living like a decade in the past!

On 03/07/2021 at 13:34, trastrick said:

I was born in Sheffield, during the war, to a single mother, and I can assure you I have traveled the World extensively.  Nobody "tied me down".

We kids didn't leave our dear mother to be looked after by the government.

As for being a foreign resident, I take an interest in government expenditures because in addition to the $millions I paid in taxes from my Canadian Business over 40 years,, I paid taxes for 7 years in Britain, and never received a penny in return. I don't even qualify for a full Canadian pension. My taxes took care of the needs of a lot of people,  so don't lecture me

The term "foreign" when describing a person sounds a bit discriminatory, don't you think?

Especially when a lot of Brits were happy to have the "foreigners" at the EU tell them how to spend their money, Lol

That's very PC,  to think that the 'foreign' in the  Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office is "... a bit discriminatory...".

The "...the $millions I paid in taxes..."  certainly does allow you to question what the Canadian Government does with it.

In the last forty the UK the social structure has changed. Both parents usually need to be breadwinners. Single parents have to work to provide and people have to move to where there is work. Their parents are more independent in nature and in finances. It is totally unfair for older parents to expect a level of dependency for 30 years. Paying for things is the norm.

In those days carers were usually women who were expected to do far more than the man-who 'fixed' things every now and again. 

Governments should not interfere in how benefits are spent, neither is it the business of anybody else. Paying taxes on piddling amounts of work,  discourages enterprise, self help, self reliance and becoming an entrepreneur paying larger and larger amounts of tax.

As for the EU-you weren't here.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

26 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

In those days carers were usually women who were expected to do far more than the man-who 'fixed' things every now and again. 

Not forgetting the thousands of men who had to be up at 5am to start long shifts doing heavy and dangerous work in the Sheffield steel industry.

Edited by carosio

47 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

That's very PC,  to think that the 'foreign' in the  Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office is "... a bit discriminatory...".

The "...the $millions I paid in taxes..."  certainly does allow you to question what the Canadian Government does with it.

In the last forty the UK the social structure has changed. Both parents usually need to be breadwinners. Single parents have to work to provide and people have to move to where there is work. Their parents are more independent in nature and in finances. It is totally unfair for older parents to expect a level of dependency for 30 years. Paying for things is the norm.

Governments should not interfere in how benefits are spent, neither is it the business of anybody else. Paying taxes on piddling amounts of work,  discourages enterprise, self help, self reliance and becoming an entrepreneur paying larger and larger amounts of tax.

As for the EU-you weren't here.

In those days, dearie, we men were expected to fight the foreign wars, and women were far more than carers. they manned the factory assembly lines, and produced war machines and ammo. They volunteered to work on the farms in the Land Army.

You sell women short.

As for your "foreign" references, I have a British passport. And a nice letter from Sir Charles Clarke, Minister of Education, thanking me for my dedication to education, and congratulating me on my "retirement".

Facing 2 years of National Service, in some foreign hellhole, I joined the Army Cadets at 15,  and learned how to drill, and handle a Lee Enfield 303.  I figured it might help me stay alive a little longer in the next war, And yes, I paid taxes, on my piddling apprentice wages. It did not discourage me from becoming a rather successful entrepreneur.

I can only hope that with your complete ignorance of recent history, you never had an opportunity to pass your nonsense to students in a classroom..

Edited by trastrick

2 hours ago, carosio said:

Not forgetting the thousands of men who had to be up at 5am to start long shifts doing heavy and dangerous work in the Sheffield steel industry.

I think you mean several tens of thousands of men in Sheffield, and the several tens of thousands of women who had children, jobs and parents to fill their time.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

In those days, dearie, we men were expected to fight the foreign wars, and women were far more than carers. they manned the factory assembly lines, and produced war machines and ammo. They volunteered to work on the farms in the Land Army.

You sell women short.

As for your "foreign" references, I have a British passport. And a nice letter from Sir Charles Clarke, Minister of Education, thanking me for my dedication to education, and congratulating me on my "retirement".

Facing 2 years of National Service, in some foreign hellhole, I joined the Army Cadets at 15,  and learned how to drill, and handle a Lee Enfield 303.  I figured it might help me stay alive a little longer in the next war, And yes, I paid taxes, on my piddling apprentice wages. It did not discourage me from becoming a rather successful entrepreneur.

I can only hope that with your complete ignorance of recent history, you never had an opportunity to pass your nonsense to students in a classroom..

I do not  see the relevance of missing out on doing National Service, being in the Cadets, being in Canada for forty years, and  have the time to prove your "...dedication to education..."in less than seven years. 

Family structure and work patterns have changed drastically in recent history and not all of it by choice.

People should not be  told how to spend the money they are entitled to and with as more and more over 66s with income other than the state benefit they can afford gardeners. Spending money on a gardener is far better for the economy is better for the economy than spending it on a packet of fags. 

A couple of cans of pop and all the Crisp they can eat,  the Neighbours Kids,  :hihi:

On 03/07/2021 at 11:44, trastrick said:

I would hope that a personal professional gardener (which infers a house with a garden) is not among the basket of goodies deemed "essential" to one's lifestyle.

Call me an old meanie, but your government cannot maintain "the spiraling current unsustainable National Debt", (  Guardian) and is piling up these debts in the name of the children not yet born who will ultimately be stuck with the bills for these generous (and unsustainable, remember?) benefits.

I think that is really mean and selfish.

In the past old folks, or the infirm, would have their family, or in a pinch, the neighbors help out with tasks like digging the garden, snow clearance from paths and steps, etc.

But today, as government becomes more and more responsible for everybody's personal lifestyle, nobody wants to know, or care.

What are you on?

On 03/07/2021 at 07:48, trastrick said:

One would hope that folks paying 12.50 an hour for someone to do their gardening, are not government benefits.

One would also hope they are paying the VAT, and not paying cash under the table.

I seem to have provoked heated discussion here ,simply by answering a question - how much do people pay their gardeners - in an attempt to help the person who asked it!

How I choose to spend my money ( which has all been earned - and taxed!) is absolutely nothing to do with you,but I offer the following comments:-

We are neither ancient or infirm,but have a large garden which would be difficult to maintain without help.

Neither of us have ever claimed any sort of Government Benefit.

The gentleman who helps us in the garden did not in fact fix the hourly rate - I did,as I would not insult him by paying less for the excellent and reliable job he does.

I pay him by Direct Debit,clearly accountable -I have no idea what he puts on his Tax Return,but you maybe interested to know that he did in fact work for HMRC before he retired,so I imagine he knows the rules.I am pretty sure he is not liable for VAT,he would have to do an awful lot of gardening to reach the threshold!

Maybe you should think twice before passing judgement on people who do the right thing?

Why has a thread which was started by someone asking what people pay their gardeners , been hijacked and turned political?

Guest sibon
2 hours ago, Janet24 said:

I seem to have provoked heated discussion here ,simply by answering a question - how much do people pay their gardeners - in an attempt to help the person who asked it!

How I choose to spend my money ( which has all been earned - and taxed!) is absolutely nothing to do with you,but I offer the following comments:-

We are neither ancient or infirm,but have a large garden which would be difficult to maintain without help.

Neither of us have ever claimed any sort of Government Benefit.

The gentleman who helps us in the garden did not in fact fix the hourly rate - I did,as I would not insult him by paying less for the excellent and reliable job he does.

I pay him by Direct Debit,clearly accountable -I have no idea what he puts on his Tax Return,but you maybe interested to know that he did in fact work for HMRC before he retired,so I imagine he knows the rules.I am pretty sure he is not liable for VAT,he would have to do an awful lot of gardening to reach the threshold!

Maybe you should think twice before passing judgement on people who do the right thing?

That’s a fantastic post. Some of the judgemental nonsense written on this thread has been pretty revolting.

Stick around though. Not all threads end up like this .