What Are People Paying For Gardeners?

I was wondering what hourly rate people were paying for their gardener? 

Here in North Notts,we pay £12.50 per hour - hope that helps.

i would think it depends if its a bloke just cutting grass as he needs a few quid or a big job,but 10-15 pound per hour

One would hope that folks paying 12.50 an hour for someone to do their gardening, are not government benefits.

One would also hope they are paying the VAT, and not paying cash under the table.

12 minutes ago, trastrick said:

One would hope that folks paying 12.50 an hour for someone to do their gardening, are not government benefits.

One would also hope they are paying the VAT, and not paying cash under the table.

Why cannot people on government benefits employ gardeners at £12.50 an hour?

15 hours ago, capricorn77 said:

I was wondering what hourly rate people were paying for their gardener? 

I am just a gardener on the side, I dont live in Sheffield, I would not dream of charging by the hour, my set price for cutting a lawn is £10, takes less than an hour.

The guy that cuts the neighbours average  size lawn charges £10 each lawn. I think you are charging about right Cid. You are a good man. (If you get to Roth rum any time on your way to Meadowhell, I have some healthy Horse chestnut trees for you)😉

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

I will rephrase the question, why do you "...hope that folks paying 12.50 an hour for someone to do their gardening, are not government benefits."?

1 hour ago, Janus said:

The guy that cuts the neighbours average  size lawn charges £10 each lawn. I think you are charging about right Cid. You are a good man. (If you get to Roth rum any time on your way to Meadowhell, I have some healthy Horse chestnut trees for you)😉

Don't understand the good man bit. Are those charging 12.50 an hour not good? Not exactly a making a fortune at that rate.

I would hope that a personal professional gardener (which infers a house with a garden) is not among the basket of goodies deemed "essential" to one's lifestyle.

Call me an old meanie, but your government cannot maintain "the spiraling current unsustainable National Debt", (  Guardian) and is piling up these debts in the name of the children not yet born who will ultimately be stuck with the bills for these generous (and unsustainable, remember?) benefits.

I think that is really mean and selfish.

In the past old folks, or the infirm, would have their family, or in a pinch, the neighbors help out with tasks like digging the garden, snow clearance from paths and steps, etc.

But today, as government becomes more and more responsible for everybody's personal lifestyle, nobody wants to know, or care.

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

Why would a gardener pay VAT?