People Over 60 Could Be Charged For Prescriptions Under New Government Plans

On 09/07/2021 at 18:48, Thirsty Relic said:

not everybody who could claim benefits does so.  If someone for example had to take early retirement due to ill health, they would be in receipt of a much reduced work pension, and just able to get by.  Add the burden of paying for medication on top of that could tip them into poverty.

Right.

The first point I have issue with is that you suggest that people who can claim benefits don't. If they don't, that's up to them, but if the system is there and offering support which they refuse to take then find prescription costs expensive, I'm inclined to say the error is all theirs.

I'm also interested to know how £9 a month will push someone into poverty, when it's for medication for a health issue that has forced them to retire. It's not exactly a large amount and you'd think it is a financial priority for our mythical retiree wouldn't you? 'Shall I buy a McDs for lunch, or shall I buy this medication to keep me alive?'

21 hours ago, the_bloke said:

Right.

The first point I have issue with is that you suggest that people who can claim benefits don't. If they don't, that's up to them, but if the system is there and offering support which they refuse to take then find prescription costs expensive, I'm inclined to say the error is all theirs.

I'm also interested to know how £9 a month will push someone into poverty, when it's for medication for a health issue that has forced them to retire. It's not exactly a large amount and you'd think it is a financial priority for our mythical retiree wouldn't you? 'Shall I buy a McDs for lunch, or shall I buy this medication to keep me alive?'

The £9 (+) that you mention is for one item.  Many people have multiple repeat prescriptions that can add up to a lot of money.  A previous poster suggested that free for all prescriptions would lead to more prescriptions being issued and more medication wasted.  I thought prescriptions were issued by doctors for clinical reasons, so I don't get that argument.  Free prescriptions, like elsewhere in the UK, would ensure everyone gets the medication they need irrespective of whether they can afford to pay for them!

1 hour ago, AKAMD said:

The £9 (+) that you mention is for one item.  Many people have multiple repeat prescriptions that can add up to a lot of money.  A previous poster suggested that free for all prescriptions would lead to more prescriptions being issued and more medication wasted.  I thought prescriptions were issued by doctors for clinical reasons, so I don't get that argument.  Free prescriptions, like elsewhere in the UK, would ensure everyone gets the medication they need irrespective of whether they can afford to pay for them!

You don't seem to know what you are talking about. £9 a month is for as many items as you want. It's called a Prescription Prepayment Certificate, and anyone can have one. It's especially designed for people on repeat prescriptions.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/prescription-prepayment-certificates-ppcs

4 hours ago, the_bloke said:

You don't seem to know what you are talking about. £9 a month is for as many items as you want. It's called a Prescription Prepayment Certificate, and anyone can have one. It's especially designed for people on repeat prescriptions.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/prescription-prepayment-certificates-ppcs

I used to have one before I got them free!!!!!!!!!  The £9 per month is paid in advance for the year, and not everyone has £108 to lay out.  I still say ALL prescriptions should be free, like in Scotland!  And I do know what I'm talking about, thank you very much!

36 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

I used to have one before I got them free!!!!!!!!!  The £9 per month is paid in advance for the year, and not everyone has £108 to lay out.  I still say ALL prescriptions should be free, like in Scotland!  And I do know what I'm talking about, thank you very much!

You can pay for it monthly via Direct Debit.

On 09/07/2021 at 17:49, the_bloke said:

Surely if they can't work due to a health condition they would be in receipt of benefits and get free prescriptions anyway?

Not necessarily. It's not as easy as people think to get benefits, particularly if you are middle aged with a few savings behind you. Many benefits are means tested so you won't qualify. Ill health retirement is not easy to get either as some debilitating illnesses are hard to diagnose and even harder to prove to the satisfaction of our draconian benefits system.