Sheffield City Centre

Where do you chose to shop/visit for leisure?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you chose to shop/visit for leisure?

• City Centre
    • Crystal Peaks/Drakehouse
    • Fox Valley
    • Meadowhall
    • Parkgate
    • Other (state below)

Following from recent developments regarding John Lewis & Debenhams closing down, along with other smaller independent stores - are you put off by shopping or visiting for leisure etc. If so, where do you now shop/visit and what have you changed?

What would you like to see change, in order to get the city centre thriving again?

Today's Yorkshire Live is currently running with the following story... Just about says it all really.

The Yorkshire city overrun by ‘beggars and druggies’ that no one wants to shop in - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

I've lived in both Leeds and Manchester, and I feel much safer in Sheffield than those other 2 cities, which have a noticeably higher level of anti social behaviour in their city centres.

I'm not a big clothes shopper, though Debenhams was my shop of choice for clothes. I guess I'll try H&M, River Island or Marks and Spencers.

For leisure activities I avoid shops like the plague.

That's a ludicrous article.

There's been a lot of work over the last couple of years there far fewer " spice zombies" about.

I wouldn't wipe my unmentionables with the Yorkshire Live or in fact any articles under the "Examiner Live" subsidiaries of Reach PLC

They are all literally the definition of a toilet roll publications. Equivalent to a digital version of the sort of crap that used to get pushed through the letterbox once a week filled with with 90% adverts and 10% so called news.

Notorious for making stories out of nothing, light on facts, heavy on speculation or uncorroborated opinion.  I bet they asked about two people to form that absolutely ridiculous and insulting  article content.   The same will be for some of the other recently published content including an article 2 days ago saying how sooooo many people prefer to shop in Meadowhall rather than the city centre. Well duh, the former is a purpose built shopping centre so of course they prefer to go there to shop.

Then they carbon copy the same junk story across 30 different publications. Trying to pretend that we are all thick as if it's some real gathered local new source. All the ...... Live publications at the moment are getting in their knickers in a twist publishing sensationalized stories, bemoaning the fact that allegedly certain supermarket petrol stations are charging "£99 deposit" for fuel. That is a story clearly spiralled out of a tiny handful of dumbos who don't understand the widely established concept of pre-authorisation on credit and debit cards.

Back to the original post, "overrun" my backside. The way some of these stories are reported it's as if we're all tripping over Spice users and beggars  every time we step in the city. I was there literally less than 24-hours ago and noticed ONE vagrant in my area.   The way such stories are written it is if such similar problems never exist in other cities.

Absolutely desperate and embarrassing journalism to sell their stupid advertising space.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Try wandering through Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester if you think Sheffield has thousand of vagrants cluttering up the place. Pathetic article that.

peaks because its closest, meadowhall very very very rarely. Haven't been in the city centre in many years apart from work.

Everything else online if I can sometimes mcarthur Glenn.

If it wasn't for work I wouldn't venture into Sheffield other than to use the train station on occasion.

In broad daylight I often witness drugs being dealt & anti-social behaviour by 'undesireables' within 100m of Snig Hill police station. 

14 minutes ago, dan_999uk said:

I think it's unhelpful to minimise the number of NPS users on the streets of Sheffield. Something is badly broken. 

Hence scenes like this.

Scenes like what???

A few seconds of video taken completely out of context with no sound and no background as to exactly what went on. A single person in a single location laying on the floor and clearly people around him arranging for some sort of help or ambulance.

Hardly concrete evidence of some horrendous uncontrollable epidemic where nobody can so much as walk down the street without getting accosted by Spice users.

Nobody it is trying to argue that these incidents or users or problems don't exist. But they are certainly not at the ridiculously exaggerated and sensationalized levels claimed by certain moronic Media publications and ill-informed members of the public. Nor are they a feature which is tied to Sheffield alone.

Desperately trying to prove something that isn't there. Thankfully it seems the majority of us are just getting on with our lives, going out and about to do things that we need to do without  buying into this hysteria, fear and paranoia.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

19 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Scenes like what???

A few seconds of video taken completely out of context with no sound and no background as to exactly what went on. A single person in a single location laying on the floor and clearly people around him arranging for some sort of help or ambulance.

Hardly concrete evidence of some horrendous uncontrollable epidemic where nobody can so much as walk down the street without getting accosted by Spice users.

Nobody it is trying to argue that these incidents or users or problems don't exist. But they are certainly not at the ridiculously exaggerated and sensationalized levels claimed by certain moronic Media publications and ill-informed members of the public. Nor are they a feature which is tied to Sheffield alone.

Desperately trying to prove something that isn't there. Thankfully it seems the majority of us are just getting on with our lives, going out and about to do things that we need to do without  buying into this hysteria, fear and paranoia.  

Hmmm... :huh:

This blinkered attitude is why things will only get worse!

Ignoring a problem rarely makes that problem go away...
... nor does making the excuse that it is not just confined to Sheffield! :roll:

It is being addressed and the situation is much much better than say 3 years back.

The local Press reported the multi agency team and from memory incidents are down 70 percent.

I will try and find the link.

I can remember back in the 80 s when glue sniffing and alcohol were the intoxicants of choice and the Peace gardens were a really upleasant place to be .

It's just a shame that social media warps people's perceptions and it's easier to demonstrate a bad situation than a good one.