Registering With Hmrc

Can anyone help or advise me.  I started dog walking in September 2019 and also got a dog boarding  license in January 2020.  I didn't realise I should have registered with HMRC at the time.  I know you are allowed to earn so much before you have to pay tax but didn't think I would make anything like that amount as its only really part time, I wouldn't be able to live on what I make thats for sure, I just wanted to do something I enjoyed and what with the pandemic and everything I haven't been that busy.  My husband is the main wage earner.  If I registered now would I get into trouble for not doing so.? Its my first time working for myself and I want to do everything right.  Please no negative comments just advice on what to do.  This is praying on my mind and making me feel a bit stressed.

I suggest you read the Government web pages at https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself.

You will need to keep records of incomings and outgoings.

Good luck

I doubt very much that HRMC will take any action against you for neglecting to inform them about your altered circumstances when strictly speaking you probably should have.  Along with massive workloads and reduced staff, I think they have much much bigger fish to fry in terms of deliberate concealments, frauds etc. I would give them a ring and they will tell you what you need to do to regularise your position. 

I definitely haven't been fraudulent in any way, I've barely earned even a quarter of what you can earn as self employed which is £12, 500.  I suppose I was a bit naive when I started doing this as a job as I did wonder if it would go anywhere.  Its been extremely slow to say the least but I know I should have registered before now.

But what if i can't tot up my earnings? As for an accountant I can't afford that 

1 hour ago, Jillybabes said:

But what if i can't tot up my earnings? As for an accountant I can't afford that 

Presumably you were working cash in hand?

17 hours ago, Jillybabes said:

Can anyone help or advise me.  I started dog walking in September 2019 and also got a dog boarding  license in January 2020.  I didn't realise I should have registered with HMRC at the time.  I know you are allowed to earn so much before you have to pay tax but didn't think I would make anything like that amount as its only really part time, I wouldn't be able to live on what I make thats for sure, I just wanted to do something I enjoyed and what with the pandemic and everything I haven't been that busy.  My husband is the main wage earner.  If I registered now would I get into trouble for not doing so.? Its my first time working for myself and I want to do everything right.  Please no negative comments just advice on what to do.  This is praying on my mind and making me feel a bit stressed.

Genuinely the best thing to do is ring HMRC - they are not the ogres that some make them out to be - I've had to ring them on a number of occasions & they do their best to support you (within their rules & guidelines obviously)

On 29/06/2021 at 20:53, Jillybabes said:

Yes

then say nowt unless you are going to carry on. if you are then register its easy and your personal tax allowance and expenses will allow you to take more than that and pay no tax and you can file single page easy accounts, basically takings minus expenses and you can have a long line of expenses.