Police Open 'New Base' On Troubled Estate.

4 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Tax on cigarettes can be avoided by not smoking.........

.........But, my point was about your earlier claim-

my question in response-

was a counter-example, as the vast majority of people who go to food banks for free food, value that free food highly.

Of course taxes can be avoided by not smoking, but also by not working, and buying your stuff for cash. under the table. Lol

As for valuing free food, there is no such thing as "free food". Someone has to produce it, deliver it, and make it available.

Imagine how the standard of living could be improved for all, if the non productive government sector didn't eat up the lion's share of the GDP.

The problem is. of course, that we all love free stuff, However, nothing in life is free.

According to the Guardian, and posted elsewhere, the government's spiraling debt is "unsustainable".

Politicians who bribe the electorate with benefits costing money they do not have is engaging in a giant Ponzi scheme, which is considered illegal in civilized society.

Dumping the debt on to future generations yet unborn,  long after the politicians are gone, is immoral, selfish, and obscene.

It is even fraud, signing cheques for those future generations, who have no say in how their money is spent.

In the U.S that was considered Taxation Without Representation, and led to revolt.

Without radical economic reform, such an outcome is inevitable.

Provide benefits, by all means, but pay for them as you go. Raise taxes to cover the full cost to do so, if necessary. But tell the taxpayer the truth.

The politicians who dole out the benefits, and the folks who receive them are living in a never never land, and don't care about the future of the country.

They'll all be dead by the time the piper has to be paid. They hope.

Utterly selfish.

And how are our erstwhile G7 economies, dealing with this economic downturn?

To keep their governments in power, they all agreed to Spend More!. Lol

But the Enemies of Western Culture are licking their lips!

Edited by trastrick

10 hours ago, trastrick said:

People do not value free stuff, that is not earned. They just vandalize and abuse it.

6 minutes ago, trastrick said:

As for valuing free food, there is no such thing as "free food". Someone has to produce it, deliver it, and make it available.

You've being highly inconsistent, first saying that people do not value free stuff, then, when I give an example of people valuing free stuff, you convert to claiming there is no such thing as free stuff.

Which is it- do people not value free stuff, or, is there no such thing as free stuff? Because, if there is no such things as free stuff then the people you are claiming don't value it, are actually getting it.

Just now, onewheeldave said:

You've being highly inconsistent, first saying that people do not value free stuff, then, when I give an example of people valuing free stuff, you convert to claiming there is no such thing as free stuff.

Which is it- do people not value free stuff, or, is there no such thing as free stuff? Because, if there is no such things as free stuff then the people you are claiming don't value it, are actually getting it.

There's free stuff, like mangoes that grow wild on trees where I live and there's "free" stuff, that someone has to grow, harvest, process in a factory, ship to market then distribute to the hungry hoards.

If you thought I meant, when I said vandalize, food, you are perception challenged.

I was, of course referring referring to the vandalizing of public housing.

Edited by trastrick

Guest makapaka

Imagine if you set up a business in page hall that only employee page hall residents - you’d need a bit of funding but would pale into insignificance compared to the policing / funding currently given.

the business is a project that improves the page hall street scene for example.

the unemployed people there become employed and start earning genuine wages which allows them to spend money in the area which benefits other local businesses and more importantly their family thus reducing state aid.

the people doing it are proud of the work they’re doing and are rightly protective of people doing damage to what they’ve done and hold people to task for it.

the business continues to do well and those employed recommend it to other people in the area who become employed and you expand the business accordingly.

easy.

Guest busdriver1
7 hours ago, makapaka said:

Imagine if you set up a business in page hall that only employee page hall residents - you’d need a bit of funding but would pale into insignificance compared to the policing / funding currently given.

the unemployed people there become employed and start earning genuine wages which allows them to spend money in the area which benefits other local businesses and more importantly their family thus reducing state aid.

the people doing it are proud of the work they’re doing and are rightly protective of people doing damage to what they’ve done and hold people to task for it.

the business continues to do well and those employed recommend it to other people in the area who become employed and you expand the business accordingly.

easy.

In theory yes. But in practice there is a large minority (not just in Page Hall) that have no intention of working and look on in amazement at those who do.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

In theory yes. But in practice there is a large minority (not just in Page Hall) that have no intention of working and look on in amazement at those who do.

Is that based on knowledge or opinion ?

has someone tried a similar scheme before?

The UK unemployment rate is about 5%. And of those, a decent proportion will be claiming benefits only because they genuinely cannot find employment at the moment.

The vast bulk of the tax paid by the UK population goes on the health service, pensioners and schools. The amount used in supporting the lifestyles of "benefit scroungers" is tiny, but it always makes good Daily Mail type headlines to provoke faux outrage.

6 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

I agree with you about a large minority who have no intention of working.

I’ve seen it in Sheffield where my Mother use to live, a large proportion of the street were on benefits.  Working was a dirty word to them, and it’s the same here in parts of Newcastle and particularly in Gateshead.  

A family member of mine who lives in Gateshead has never worked since the day she became pregnant at the age of 18, she’s now in her mid fifties. The odd time I’ve asked her about getting a job or doing some training, her reply is, “There’s nay jobs up here”.  Strange when others seem to find one, but I suppose they are the genuine ones who want to work.

15 hours ago, makapaka said:

easy.

How do you get round discriminatory laws by restricting vacancies to people only residing in Page Hall

What jobs would the business provide

Whats the business model and purpose

Improves the Page hall street scene? is that code for tidy the crap up that the people there leave on the streets already

How much would you pay them and how would you ensure that they spend it in local businesses more than they already do with the benefits they receive

Given the state that some of the streets are already in through the actions of the people living there what do you think will change their minds or are you suggesting we now pay residents not to leave rubbish everywhere in the form of a job?

easy? why not set one up then

Guest busdriver1
10 hours ago, makapaka said:

Is that based on knowledge or opinion ?

has someone tried a similar scheme before?

It has nothing to do with any schemes. It is a sad fact that there are plenty people who will not work and are happy milking the benefits system. 

It is based on knowledge not opinion.

Whats next? do you want links to back it up? Thats the normal SF way to respond to any facts you dont like.

Guest makapaka
6 hours ago, sheffbag said:

How do you get round discriminatory laws by restricting vacancies to people only residing in Page Hall

What jobs would the business provide

Whats the business model and purpose

Improves the Page hall street scene? is that code for tidy the crap up that the people there leave on the streets already

How much would you pay them and how would you ensure that they spend it in local businesses more than they already do with the benefits they receive

Given the state that some of the streets are already in through the actions of the people living there what do you think will change their minds or are you suggesting we now pay residents not to leave rubbish everywhere in the form of a job?

easy? why not set one up then

Yeah I’ll just write a business plan shall I - cos I’ve got the time to do that just to answer your questions.

Plus I’ll just pack my job in and do it cos it’s my job to deal with social regeneration strategy within the city.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_enterprise

have a read you never know you might

learn something.

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

It has nothing to do with any schemes. It is a sad fact that there are plenty people who will not work and are happy milking the benefits system. 

It is based on knowledge not opinion.

Whats next? do you want links to back it up? Thats the normal SF way to respond to any facts you dont like.

I’d just like to know how you know that no one in (for example) page hall wants a job.

Guest busdriver1
9 hours ago, makapaka said:

I’d just like to know how you know that no one in (for example) page hall wants a job.

Please show me where I said that. To save you some time, I did not.