Terrace Houses On Penistone Road

Does anyone know when the terrace houses were built on Penistone Road facing  the bottom of hillsborough park? 

These houses along with many more on the adjoining streets were demolished in the 1960's.

I remember bitumening some of those roofs in the 1960s.

7 hours ago, PopT said:

Does anyone know when the terrace houses were built on Penistone Road facing  the bottom of hillsborough park? 

These houses along with many more on the adjoining streets were demolished in the 1960's.

Those houses were still there late 70's, early 80's

Edited by mrm65
edit

Hi Arthur

Thankyou for your reply and especially the map of the area. I think you are about right,  I now believe they started building these slums in 1901. I did see a n instruction some years ago specifying the materials to be used. The bricks were to be no more than third class  and the timbers the same. It's a miracle they lasted 60 odd years- no hot water, gas lit, later i 2 amp plug fitted in the front room. brick fire with with a cast iron set pot in the kitchen. The 4 rooms were Front room 12'x10', kitchen 8'x10' with two bedrooms the same size. The WC was at the bottom of the yard, luckily it wasn't shared with other 3 families in the yard so that was a plus. When my mother was pregnant with her first child they became homeless and were taken in by a family comprising of a married couple with their 8 children. I cannot imagine how they managed all living together albeit for a short period. At one time we were struggling with only 6 people living there. Looking back we were very happy living there, the people of Owlerton living in these terrace houses were the salt of the earth and got on with life overcoming many problems but always willing to help their neighbours. G-d Bless Em!