Moving To Sheffield From South With 2 Kids

Hello folks.

New here.

Really need some advices on the area to choose.

Due to the job relocation from Maidstone Kent,  Sheffield is the ideal place to live. Boys are 5 and 3 years of age.

Greystones seems tick every box, 

3 bed rooms property with driveway.

Fits the 300k budget or little bit more.

Good state schools.

My concerns are

What streets in Greystones should I avoid as prefer a quiet neighborhood?

As a Chinese family of four,  is there any better area in Sheffield  that offers same or better  choices ?

What is the catchment radius normally to get a place for those very good secondary schools, like Silverdale, Tapton, etc.

The relocation will be in about 4 or 5 months.  Could rent for a few months, in case if any delay on house purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Nice to see the Sheffield "welcome mat" thrown down for our newest arrival. Lol

Methinks that the usual prolific posters here, who are most vocal in attacking conservatives for their immigration policies are strangely silent, so let me be the first to welcome you and your family here.

I don't know Greystones, but you can check out the  amazing award winning architecture here, the Moor stalls. the Shopping Mall near Rotherham, and the Tramcar to get you there. Also they are proud of their giant Snooker Hall, if you are into that stuff.

If you want a little more relaxed pace, don't bother with the Peace Garden. It is not actually a garden, nor is it peaceful. They might have a little fairground though to amuse the locals.

If the wonders of Sheffield don't impress, don't worry the beautiful Derbyshire is right next door.

It's where most of the Sheffield Planners live, I hear.

Thanks for your kind reply. 

I've had a roughly picture what living in Sheffield going to be like, walking in peak district, big parks, hilly city, football matches lots activities as a big citie could give and and an Ikea. 

My concern  is about the secondary school, as couldn't afford the more expensive areas.  If an area fits our budget is in the schools' catchment area, we would love to think about that.

Sheffield is not too bad, as English towns go, and Derbyshire really is an eye opener.

The union run schools are a bit of a challenge but a little caring parental guidance can overcome the deficiency of the kind of common sense most of the rest of the World runs on.

Good luck in your new adopted town.

Edited by trastrick

I f you are looking at Greystones move quick prices are begining to rocket

Looks like the greystones is a pretty positive area.

Need to look the school catchment link to have the idea on school-choosing.

Thanks for all kinds of replies.

Greystones is a great area to live in, close proximity to Peak District,  walkable to city centre, good schools, plenty of shops and facilities.  Only problem is you might struggle getting a 3 bed with a driveway. You'll  get a terraced house for £300k but the parking will be tricky.  

I would echo the words of bungleboy69.  Greystones is a lovely area.  Greystones school is good . I would check but my kids went to High Storrs senior school from there.  Looking on rightmove you may need to stretch your budget as most properties in that range are terraced and run down to Encliffe Park.  Many owners in that area have more than one car and as a result owners often have to find a parking spot on a different street.  Recently house prices in Sheffield have gone far in excess of advertised asking prices.   I wish you good luck in your search and trust you will join many people who have relocated from the South who love it here.    One thing you may not have picked up on is the top end of Greystones  is hilly so if you aren't fit now , you will be.

Edited by misspedantic

Also bear in mind that unlike the rest of the country the asking price in Sheffield is always a baseline from which you have to bid higher.... so if your budget is X there is no point looking at a house with asking price X in a popular area. It will likely go for over the asking price (though there are exceptions to this).

Thank you.

After a little bit dig on the house searching with your suggestions, I realised 300k is not enough to buy a semi-detached house atm or if the price continues to boom.

I might to choose to rent around southwest areas of Sheffield for some months or a year to looking for the property. Hopefully I will have more choices on areas I like to settle.

Thanks again for all the helps.