Windows 11.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I'm just in the process of testing it.  Despite all their efforts to make it not install on a core i5 with 8Gb of RAM it runs fine (thanks to RUFUS for modifying the ISO).

If you mean older CPUs, you can install it. Updates may be an issue. You'll have to let us know how they go. I have a 4th & 6th Gen Intel, for now I've just left them on Windows 10. Ones a test PC, the other a HTPC, so no great rush to upgrade them. 

I note that they've removed accessing task manager by right-clicking on the taskbar.  And Powershell is now "Windows Terminal"

They have! IMO they have made the taskbar fairly useless.

Powershell is now "Windows Terminal"

Look in 'Windows Tools > Control Panel' Powershell & CMD are there. You can set the default to what you want, going by an MS page I read a while back. I can't link to it, as I can't remember where it was.

I've found Windows 11 works OK and no major issues from the beta releases to what we have today.

I think it was TPM  that was the issue.  Not a feature on my motherboard.

System-Does-not-have-TPM-enabled.png

I'm sure Microsoft just want me to scrap a decent usable computer with plenty of life left in it.  Quite ironic considering their shiny new OS has screensavers that are decades old!

Microsoft: Many workers are stuck on old computers and should probably upgrade

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/04/microsoft_device_decisions/

23 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I think it was TPM  that was the issue.  Not a feature on my motherboard.

System-Does-not-have-TPM-enabled.png

I'm sure Microsoft just want me to scrap a decent usable computer with plenty of life left in it.  Quite ironic considering their shiny new OS has screensavers that are decades old!

Microsoft: Many workers are stuck on old computers and should probably upgrade

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/04/microsoft_device_decisions/

The marketing and stupid big warning in Windows 10 update does make it look like that.

It does also say that you'll be OK if you have to stay on Windows 10 (or words like)

I have a mix of Windows 11 that were OK hardware wise, plus the two I mention above. It was just a personal choice to leave the two with older CPUs on Windows 10. There are plenty of ways to get Windows 11 on older hardware if you want to. Chances are that you have TPM 1.2, Windows 11 requires TPM 2. It depends on the CPU and/or the motherboard.

I don't fully agree with the requirements of Windows 11 but the choice to install it on older hardware is yours.

On 18/11/2021 at 11:50, zach said:

I don't fully agree with the requirements of Windows 11 but the choice to install it on older hardware is yours.

Indeed, I plopped it on an old media PC (Intel Q9550 / Asus P5E-VM-HDMI motherboard), at least 10 years old... no issues at all.

If I did install W11 and did not like it, could I revert back to W10 without having to buy W10 and installing it again? 

I think there's a 14 day roll back period (double check that)

I missed it, but wasn't going to use it anyway. It's like any new OS, things are moved around and some new settings etc. Time usually gets the job sorted and you get used to it. 

If you have made your mind up, it's in 'Recovery > Go Back' part of Windows 11. As I've said, I've not used it. It should just retore from the 'Windows.old' folder, and you're back on Windows 10.

There is a way to circumvent TPM but you should really read the small print in the EULA of Windows 11 as to what M$ wants to do with your data and your PC - there's more to life than being a data stream for .... M$, Google, Facebook et.al.

But if you must try out a poor OS:

https://forum.zorin.com/t/soooo-i-installed-w10-to-see-w11/12056/7?

Edited by swarfendor437

9 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

There is a way to circumvent TPM but you should really read the small print in the EULA of Windows 11 as to what M$ wants to do with your data and your PC - there's more to life than being a data stream for .... M$, Google, Facebook et.al.

But if you must try out a poor OS:

https://forum.zorin.com/t/soooo-i-installed-w10-to-see-w11/12056/7?

ooops 'That page doesn't exist or is private'.

On 30/12/2021 at 07:37, RollingJ said:

ooops 'That page doesn't exist or is private'.

Sorry it was a Lounge article - oops! I will copy and paste the content! (below) posted by a Moderator of the forum (not me as I no longer moderate):

"Here is a memo I wrote for myself for the step-by-step to evade TPM detection:
How to bypass the Windows 11 TPM 2.0 requirement

For inplace update

1. Add entries to Registry:
    win11bypass.reg

2. Download the latest Windows installer:

https://uupdump.net/

Download UUP files from Windows Update servers with ease. This project is not affiliated with Microsoft Corporation.

3. Unzip and place aria2.exe in the same folder

4. Mount installer ISO file, copy its content.

5. Replace appraiser.dll (not appraiserres.dll) in the sources folder

How To Remove or Replace appraiserres.dll in Windows 11 Setup

October 12, 2021: A big update! Please note that you no longer need to replace the appraiserres.dll file in order to bypass the TPM check and fix the installation error when installing Windows 11. …

1. For in-place update, double click install.exe

For fresh install

1. Create ISO file from modded installer files using K3B

2. Use Rufus to create installer USB

3. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-bypass-the-windows-11-tpm-20-requirement/

After the error message press Shift+F10 on your keyboard at the same time to launch a command prompt.
At this command prompt, type regedit and press enter to launch the Windows Registry Editor.

When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup, right-click on the Setup key and select New > Key.

When prompted to name the key, enter LabConfig and press enter.

Now right-click on the LabConfig key and select New > DWORD (32-bit) value and create a value named BypassTPMCheck,
and set its data to 1.
Now create the BypassRAMCheck and BypassSecureBootCheck values and set their data to 1 as well.

Once you configure those three values under the LabConfig key,
close the Registry Editor, and then type exit in the Command Prompt followed by enter to close the window.
You will now be back at the message stating that the PC can't run Windows 11.
Click on the back button in the Windows Setup dialog.

Start over from selection of Windows edition.

A small question.

If I enable TPM then download Win 11 can I then disable TPM and use 11 as normal or will it refuse to work.

*** Found the answer here

https://nerdschalk.com/can-you-disable-tpm-and-secure-boot-after-installing-windows-11-what-happens/

Edited by Dromedary

Before installing read the EULA in its entirety - you might want to change your mind. For the last 18 months of my employment I was able to do everything I used to do at work using GNU/Linux, and what's more I could use Remmina remote to login to the school servers with one logon - using Windows 8.1 Pro as a VM required me to login 3 times before I could access my Z drive and shared folders on the server!