Windows 11.

This article Microsoft does and doesn't want you to know it won't stop you manually installing Windows 11 on older PCs may be of interest to some in this thread.

But what it doesn't want to say out loud is that these hardware requirements will only be enforced if you upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 through Windows Update. If you, for example, install the OS manually from an official ISO file, or use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, the hardware checks will not be performed, and your older PC will not be blocked from running the operating system.

This ability to sidestep the Windows 11 requirements is not in today's announcement, though journalists were privately told of the loophole.

6 hours ago, altus said:

I've got a 6th gen i3 hp pc failed on everything needed for win 11 took me 2 mins to google workaround I now have fully functioning win 11 and have not spent a penny doing it anyone buying  buying stuff to make it work need head testing

I have tried Windows 11 and it didn't last 3 days on my device since I have uninstalled it. I simply don't like this OS along with the 10. I still use the Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

On 14/10/2021 at 19:47, JHD said:

I have tried Windows 11 and it didn't last 3 days on my device since I have uninstalled it. I simply don't like this OS along with the 10. I still use the Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

We all want a different look and way of doing things from an OS.

While I think running Windows 7 isn't a wise move, it's your PC and your choice.

I went the other way. Beta tested Windows 11 for a couple of months, then it went on all my systems once the final release came out. It seems to work well, and it's very easy to use. I spend much more time in the advanced settings, they made that a couple more clicks to get to (unless you pin what you want) All my main systems were OK on the hardware, just needed BIOS tweaks on some. The ones that are too old will stay on 10 Pro.

It won't be for everyone, but I use Windows, macOS and Linux. So I'm OK with a slight OS change. Plus the Win 11 keys are linked to my PCs now. If it goes the wrong way, I have full images of Win 10-21H1 of them all (Macrium Free) I can't see a problem restoring to 10 but I'll give it an offline test when I get round to it.

I sound like a broken record but as always...use the OS that suits you.

I think I will wait a few months just to see how things pan out and the glitches have been sorted.

4 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I think I will wait a few months just to see how things pan out and the glitches have been sorted.

heh heh heh . . . you'll be waiting a very, very long time for that!

Just bite the bullet and upgrade a secondary PC.

Only got the one P.C. and a chromebook. I agree I could be waiting a long time.

Edited by Kidorry

I'm using Windows 11 on my main personal laptop and after 2 weeks of daily use I've not uncovered any major issues, a few minor glitches with the UI but that's it.

However, I am just installing the KB5006746 update and the list of fixes is large. I'm still happy I upgraded when I did.

I was going to upgrade to windows 11 then thought, why bother? Looking at the list of things that are new or "upgraded" I don't really use any of them.

Think I'll stick with 10 for now 🤷‍♂️

On 21/10/2021 at 19:51, chipfork said:

I'm using Windows 11 on my main personal laptop and after 2 weeks of daily use I've not uncovered any major issues, a few minor glitches with the UI but that's it.

However, I am just installing the KB5006746 update and the list of fixes is large. I'm still happy I upgraded when I did.

I went through the beta on a couple of HTPC's. When it was released I decided to install on all my main systems. Like you, no major issues. I installed the update you mention. No problems but run updates again after the reboot as there's a .NET update.

On 22/10/2021 at 09:37, whiteowl said:

I was going to upgrade to windows 11 then thought, why bother? Looking at the list of things that are new or "upgraded" I don't really use any of them.

Think I'll stick with 10 for now 🤷‍♂️

No problem staying with Win 10. It's worth keeping in mind that a lot of how things work in any OS, we don't see. If you decided to give it a go, it keeps Windows 10 in 'Windows.old' on the OS drive (takes up about 25GB) I'm not sure how long it keeps it, but roll it back to Win 10 if you don't like Win 11.

On 22/10/2021 at 12:40, alchresearch said:

'Windows 11 has been successfully downloaded,' says update for Xbox version of Microsoft Flight Simulator

https://www.theregister.com/2021/10/21/windows_11_flight_sim_xbox/

So it was a bit of advertising? Not really relevant to installing Windows 11 on a PC but quite funny, and some worried Xbox owners!

I'm just in the process of testing it.  Despite all their efforts to make it not install on a core i5 with 8Gb of RAM it runs fine (thanks to RUFUS for modifying the ISO).

I note that they've removed accessing task manager by right-clicking on the taskbar.  And Powershell is now "Windows Terminal"

Its quite disappointing to see even at idle and doing nothing it's using 2.2Gb of RAM.  Compare that to Antix Linux which uses just 700Mb.