Windows 11.

selling my asus maximus hero 7 and cpu soon, no TPM afaik, of dear.

On 28/06/2021 at 18:27, Ghozer said:

Many older machines that are reported to not be able to run Windows 11, will be able to if you are able to add a TPM, if your board has a TPM header (14-1) on your board, a small (roughly £10-15) device can be added, and you will be able to run Windows 11 (Providing you are running a 64bit CPU (who isn't nowadays?)  and meet the RAM and HDD requirements..

Just check your mainboard manual (or look at the board it's self) to check if you have a TPM header...

scalpers asking for 80 pounds on the Bay!

I heard that if you have an Intel processor it has to be at least an 8th gen processor, so if you bought your computer before about April 2018 you won't be able to run Windows 11.

I think there will be huge pressure on M/S to change this, even if it affects their security protocols.

On 01/07/2021 at 20:07, gamezone07 said:

selling my asus maximus hero 7 and cpu soon, no TPM afaik, of dear.

scalpers asking for 80 pounds on the Bay!

That's why you pay around £10 from a none-ebay site.. like quietpc or hitpcs

Just searched on their page, couldn't see one

On 01/07/2021 at 21:56, gamezone07 said:

I think there will be huge pressure on M/S to change this, even if it affects their security protocols.

I think you may be right as they are already receiving bad reports regarding this. It really should still be an option as most normal users would not be affected by the problems that TPM should effectively stop. 

4 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

Just searched on their page, couldn't see one

Ha... Just posted as well. Quietpcs were advertising them for £11.20 but were awaiting supply (coming soon)

Just to add. Just checked my motherboard and it has a header and I also enabled the AMD fTPM in the bios and it now shows up in device manager as TPM 2.0 but thats with a Ryzen 5600x. 

Still no clear guidelines as to what processors support firmware TPM though even on the AMD site.

Edited by apelike

On 04/07/2021 at 13:10, apelike said:

Still no clear guidelines as to what processors support firmware TPM though even on the AMD site.

Is this what you're looking for?

AMD

Intel

It seems the compatibility tool is in for repair, and has been for about 4 days. But have no fear, it's "coming soon"  😄

1 minute ago, zach said:

Is this what you're looking for?

AMD

Intel

It seems the compatibility tool is in for repair, and has been for about 4 days. But have no fear, it's "coming soon"  😄

I'm Not sure to be honest but thanks.

It seems that the information before for Win 11 originally stated only TPM 2.0 was supported but now has been amended to say from TPM 1.2 onwards but it also says its compatibility upgrade checker will flag it up as "not advised". I think that list now mirrors that later information as even the Atom CPU has TPM 1.2 support. What I query is whether the average home user actually needs it.

Intel from 6th Generation onwards support PTT which is TPM2.0 compliant/compatible..

Just enabled it on my 7700k....

8 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Intel from 6th Generation onwards support PTT which is TPM2.0 compliant/compatible..

Just enabled it on my 7700k....

As you are still here.... :)

Can you tell me what the benefits for the average home user is. I know it's mainly about security but does the home user need it as most people like you and me already had it but it was not enabled.

No go for 4970k then, does every bit of kit have to have TMP?

Just got the preview installed. Quite like it, marginally less annoying than Windows 10.

Would like to image it - normally I have used Clonezilla, but it is on an M2 drive and not sure if that will work, can anyone recommend a free alternative?