Windows 11.

"Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020"

"Internet Explorer (IE) 11 desktop application will end support for certain operating systems starting June 15, 2022"

Support for Internet Explorer on Windows 7 ended in January 2020. However as IE is such a vulnerable and widely used product they are likely to continue to produce technical and security fixes.

Edit:

The Microsoft tool has failed the desktop and the old laptop but will continue to support Windows 10 until 2025.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

13 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply - I thought the Microsoft Account was something more like a banking or identity check rater than a simple email address.    I was thinking of reluctantly looking into LINUX.  Ok, so IF/when I move to W10 or W11, Mr Relic may get an Outlook account!

I moved over to Linux mint and it was the best thing I did.

1 minute ago, Kidorry said:

I moved over to Linux mint and it was the best thing I did.

I moved to Zorin - another Linux distro - and wouldn't move back.

Keeping my W7 machine, though, for a couple of programs that I must have, and there are no easy-to-use Linux alternatives -YET.

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Keeping my W7 machine, though, for a couple of programs that I must have, and there are no easy-to-use Linux alternatives -YET.

Must admit I will probably also go with Zorin as I like that but put it on another drive. As a gamer I will still need Windows for now but could possibly strip it back and create just a game profile.

19 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Windows 11 is a tweak of 10 and uses the same code but needs a higher spec to run.

It will be useful as it will run Android in parallel

Windows 10 ends in 2025.

I will upgrade my new laptop.

A previous 'fresh' installation worked wonders for an ageing computer so I might try it on a desktop.

It's not necessarily a higher spec that's required, the new CPU requirements mean some processors that are perfectly fast enough to run it are unsupported.

5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

It's worth checking to see if they run under WINE if you haven't tried already.

21 minutes ago, altus said:

It's not necessarily a higher spec that's required, the new CPU requirements mean some processors that are perfectly fast enough to run it are unsupported.

It's worth checking to see if they run under WINE if you haven't tried already.

That will be my next step - I'm still getting to grips with it, and while I can still relatively safely use the W7 machine, they are not a priority.

The same goes for Linux - if you use one of the major OS's it has the awful SystemD boot process - for a more secure Linux OS choose one without SystemD and choose one that has SysVInit, runit, OpenRC, s6, or Upstasrt.

To breathe fresh life into an old machine consider Devuan xfce (and choose SysVinit as bootloader - super light, Antix, or MX Linux.

I also received an email from M$ about changes to their Policies that you will not be allowed access to any of their services unless you have a M$ account. And the way I view it is that if you want to access their service there will be a cost such as using their search engine, Maps and so on. I would also advise using SoftMaker Office while it is still available for one-off payment - plus you get to install on 5 machines which can be a combination of Windows, Mac or Linux. The only downside to the Linux version is you don't get access to the fully customisable Equation Editor that is present in the Windows version of TextMaker - it's exactly like Math Type and better than the Equation Editor that comes with M$ Office.

Edited by swarfendor437

22 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

The same goes for Linux - if you use one of the major OS's it has the awful SystemD boot process - for a more secure Linux OS choose one without SystemD and choose one that has SysVInit, runit, OpenRC, s6, or Upstasrt.

To breathe fresh life into an old machine consider Devuan xfce (and choose SysVinit as bootloader - super light, Antix, or MX Linux.

Linux newbies are definitely better off going with one of the better known, well supported distributions.

As for systemd, if Raspberry Pi Zeros can manage with systemd in 512MB of RAM I doubt it will be  a problem for anything that can run Windows 7 or newer.

Many older machines that are reported to not be able to run Windows 11, will be able to if you are able to add a TPM, if your board has a TPM header (14-1) on your board, a small (roughly £10-15) device can be added, and you will be able to run Windows 11 (Providing you are running a 64bit CPU (who isn't nowadays?)  and meet the RAM and HDD requirements..

Just check your mainboard manual (or look at the board it's self) to check if you have a TPM header...

Edited by Ghozer

It's not a question of managing with Systemd it's a security issue.

Edited by swarfendor437

You can check if your PC has a TPM module using the Microsoft builtin tool:

Open a powershell as Admin and use: tpm.msc

On 29/06/2021 at 13:52, ChrisIB said:

You can check if your PC has a TPM module using the Microsoft builtin tool:

Open a powershell as Admin and use: tpm.msc

But even if it says no, You 'may' be able to add a TPM as I stated above..