Windows 11.

I thought that W10 operating system was supposed to be their last and it would be updated rather than having a new O.S. As I read it, it is going to be a free update if you are running W 10. Am I right or have I read it wrong?

yeah, I also thought Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows ever . . . but apparently it seems that was only the personal opinion of a single Microsoft developer, rather than official Microsoft policy.

I expect it will still be free to upgrade if you own Windows 10.

Windows desktop operating systems aren't as important for revenue than they were in the past; Microsoft now makes more money from Office and their Azure cloud services:

rev.png

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/filing-shows-microsoft-really-making-money-reveals-m-adds-netflix-hulu-tencent-list-rivals/

Do people really still believe what Microsoft says?  They've made so much money over the years from selling new versions of their OS's and application software like Word and Excel, that of course they are going to keep bringing out new versions and selling them.  New PC's and Laptops normally come bundled with their latest versions of their software, so if you want to be able to read files created on a laptop using the latest Windows versions and the latest version of Word or Excel, then you really need to upgrade.

Those of us who have been "burned" in the past by switching to the latest offering, only to find the bug-ridden piece of rubbish playing havoc with their lives are very wary!  I managed to go back to Windows 7 after using Windows 8 for a while, and hating it.  After repeated prompts to move to Windows 10, I'm still not sure its safe, so I'm still with Windows 7.  I may move to W10 now that many of the problems have apparently been sorted, but I may not.  They build loyalty, then try to destroy it!  XP was great, and its taken them ages to kill it off.  I expect the same with W7.

The big push is for us to have monthly Direct Debits with Microsoft to use their OS's and Application Software.  It's started with Microsoft365, and the idea is that in future you will not need big hard drives to store copies of their huge software, but the bits you need are downloaded immediately before you use it, so you must be online and up-to-date with your payments to use the vast majority of the software.

Don't like the idea?  Neither do I, but its the way they see the future!

Windows 11 is a tweak of 10 and uses the same code but needs a higher spec to run.

It will be useful as it will run Android in parallel

Windows 10 ends in 2025.

I will upgrade my new laptop.

A previous 'fresh' installation worked wonders for an ageing computer so I might try it on a desktop.

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

I thought that W10 operating system was supposed to be their last and it would be updated rather than having a new O.S. As I read it, it is going to be a free update if you are running W 10. Am I right or have I read it wrong?

According to the blurb I have read it will be a free upgrade for Win 10 users. Seen some early review on youtube and they seem to be a bit mixed about it especially as the specs are much higher.

So to use W11 (slightly upgraded from W10), you need a higher spec PC, so many PC users will need a new machine to use effectively the same OS.

As I don't use Android, I don't need W11

Yes,  Microsoft announced that support for W7 ends in 2025.  They also announced Windows XP support was meant to end in 2014, but they kept updates coming, and my oldest laptop was using it on the web until it died of old age a couple of years ago.   Windows 7 support was meant to end on 14th January 2020, but my machines are still working and are still getting Microsoft Updates regularly.

Worldwide, according to market share, W10 has 60%, W7 has 22.31%, and at 1.26%, XP beats its successor W8 (at 0.57%).https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/if-you-can-believe-it-millions-of-people-are-still-using-windows-xp

I may be a Relic, but I'm not the only one!

As I read it, it is going to be a free update if you are running W 10. Am I right or have I read it wrong?

It was announced by Microsoft that Windows 11 would be a free upgrade to Windows 10.

I've tried out the leaked early Windows 11 image and apart from the user interface changes it doesn't appear a great leap however, under the hood is where much of the work seems to have happened. It's an early taster and a little underwhelming at this stage.

The big push is for us to have monthly Direct Debits with Microsoft to use their OS's and Application Software.  It's started with Microsoft365, and the idea is that in future you will not need big hard drives to store copies of their huge software, but the bits you need are downloaded immediately before you use it, so you must be online and up-to-date with your payments to use the vast majority of the software.

Don't like the idea?  Neither do I, but its the way they see the future!

It's very much the here and now and has been that way for some time. I think my Office 365 (now M365) subscription is around 6 years old. It's not just Microsoft, plenty of software vendors have gone the subscription route as it provides a clearer projection of revenue and results in a greater sales return. Subscriptions work better for them rather than software with a perpetual licence and the hope that people will spend money on maintenance and upgrades rather than them sticking with something that does just what they need.

Microsoft never seem to have driven people to pay for a desktop OS for home users, you can still upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. 

6 minutes ago, chipfork said:

Microsoft never seem to have driven people to pay for a desktop OS for home users, you can still upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. 

I get that, I just don't see the need to move to W10.  W11 needs higher spec and a Microsoft Account to activate/install it- whatever that is.  I've not got one, and I've been using Windows versions for many years, so W11 is a long way away to me.  I may test the waters and put W10 on a laptop, but I can't see me doing much more than that at present.

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I get that, I just don't see the need to move to W10.  W11 needs higher spec and a Microsoft Account to activate/install it- whatever that is.  I've not got one, and I've been using Windows versions for many years, so W11 is a long way away to me.  I may test the waters and put W10 on a laptop, but I can't see me doing much more than that at present.

I completely understand, for many people Windows 7 is more than adequate, it's what they're familiar with and provides them with everything they need. Microsoft however don't really want to be providing vulnerability updates for older software and of course there will other upsides for them and their partners in getting people onto newer operating systems that need newer software.

I have taken my Mum's computer from Windows 7 to 8.1 and then 10 and each time it took some getting used to. She has a Microsoft account (free Outlook.com account) although she doesn't know it, it's there purely for some of the "online" features which some have been removed in Windows 11.

I think it'll be some years away before anyone is pushed to make the leap forward.

14 minutes ago, chipfork said:

I have taken my Mum's computer from Windows 7 to 8.1 and then 10 and each time it took some getting used to. She has a Microsoft account (free Outlook.com account) although she doesn't know it, it's there purely for some of the "online" features which some have been removed in Windows 11.

I think it'll be some years away before anyone is pushed to make the leap forward.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply - I thought the Microsoft Account was something more like a banking or identity check rater than a simple email address.    I was thinking of reluctantly looking into LINUX.  Ok, so IF/when I move to W10 or W11, Mr Relic may get an Outlook account!

Old Windows versions don't stop working. 

They become  unreliable, unable to run some new software and prone to hacking, viruses etc.

Microsoft have already ended  support for versions older than 10, which means new software versions may not work as well. You are not protected as well because there are no updates. 

You can run older versions but you run the risk.

Every time Windows bring out a new version  it's the same arguments.

51 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Old Windows versions don't stop working. 

They become  unreliable, unable to run some new software and prone to hacking, viruses etc.

Microsoft have already ended  support for versions older than 10, which means new software versions may not work as well. You are not protected as well because there are no updates. 

You can run older versions but you run the risk.

Every time Windows bring out a new version  it's the same arguments.

There is a constant cycle of vulnerabilities and faults found, then updates, then more faults and so on.  This is the same with new and old software.  That's life with software, especially Operating System software!  There are risks with old software, but also the same risks with new - however well they have tried to test it, nothing beats live use with millions of people.  They use Beta Testers, but still encounter problems, and the cycle goes on.

As I've shown, Microsoft have not ended support for W7- updates are still being passed to users of older software.  My latest one was this week for W7, just as there are regular updates to W10.