Helium (Hnt) Mining

haven't got a Bobcat one yet to compare it to my Nebra, but yes the antenna is slightly more powerful on the Bobcat. I have also purchased a 5dbi antenna for my house, so hopefully I will be able to reach a bit further. I have been in the crypto world for several years so payment via USDC was not a problem. All miners seem to be made in China even the Nebra ones, They ship worldwide. Should get my full allocation by October hopefully.

Nebra are experiencing many problems at the moment as they don't seem to be handling the volume of sales very well, Bobcat seem more organised. Yeah the Bobcats stock antenna is more powerful. What I have read is that a more powerful antenna is not always the best way to go, depends on your topography and buildings etc....

Thanks Sam. I decided to take the plunge with a Bobcat given Nebra's supply issues. The first challenge has been Coinbase and unfortunately their support is dreadful so I'll see how easy it is to manage the conversion and payment through Binance, which I've not used before.

Hopefully our elevated position and a decent line of sight will mean the more powerful aerial works out.

Doesn't the price of Helium halve in August?

6 hours ago, chipfork said:

The first challenge has been Coinbase and unfortunately their support is dreadful so I'll see how easy it is to manage the conversion and payment through Binance, which I've not used before.

What's the issue with Coinbase? Should be quite straightforward to sign up and get through the KYC stuff.

Sign up for coinbase through the following link and get free $10 BTC when you buy $100 or more worth of BTC.

https://www.coinbase.com/join/woodho_wm

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

What's the issue with Coinbase? Should be quite straightforward to sign up and get through the KYC stuff.

Sign up for coinbase through the following link and get free $10 BTC when you buy $100 or more worth of BTC.

I had an issue with my payment method and did wonder if my bank was the cause. Messaged Coinbase support weeks ago and nothing but from what I've read that isn't unusual. I wanted to persist with Coinbase as the fees are better than Binance. I have loaded my wallet before as I already have some crypto in my portfolio so tried loading my wallet again this morning and it's working again, how and why is anyone's guess. 

So I've ordered a Bobcat miner and have joined the wait list.

Doesn't the price of Helium halve in August?

It does, on August 1st I believe. I watched this a little while back which covers halving: Frank Mong (Helium) Interview

17 hours ago, Waldo said:

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/helium/

Given current value of HNT (around £9.50) all sounds very lucrative! What are you thoughts on placement of the 40 miners? I'm guessing, renting space (for the miner to be plugged in and running) in people's houses or in businesses?

Sorry if I come across a bit nosey, just curious about the technology in general. What kind of things (devices etc) would use the network currently, or likely to use it in future?

I'm paying a proportion of my rewards to people who agree to host a hotspot. Everyone I have approached so far is well keen on the idea. They are essentially getting paid to do nothing. The word has spread to friends and now people are asking me to site one at their house. Its actually proving easier than I thought to place them. I have preferred locations for the first 20.

IoT - Internet of things is what uses the network, low power and data using items, like pet collars, fitness trackers, gas and electricity meters, smart bikes etc.... the list is quite long 

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Coinbase doesn't support HNT at the moment, only Binance

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Yes, then every 2 years. Generally a halving decreases supply, so hopefully the price will eventually increase which would cancel out the halving. Hopefully, nothing is certain

9 hours ago, chipfork said:

Thanks Sam. I decided to take the plunge with a Bobcat given Nebra's supply issues. The first challenge has been Coinbase and unfortunately their support is dreadful so I'll see how easy it is to manage the conversion and payment through Binance, which I've not used before.

Hopefully our elevated position and a decent line of sight will mean the more powerful aerial works out.

Good luck with it, happy to help with any advice, I am by no means an expert, just learning as I go along. Coinbase is no good as they don't support HNT at the moment, however you can use them to buy your miner with USDC. You will need Binance if you want to trade and sell your HNT. Maybe Coinbase will support it in the future

Hi Sam, yep, was aware Coinbase don't support HNT right now. Just thought chipfork was using it to get from fiat to USDC to buy a Bobcat miner?

Binance looks to be the place for trading HNT: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/helium/markets/

It is currently #67 by market cap (impressive); so maybe in future they will. Best of luck with your venture.

Hi both, yes it was issues with Coinbase for the USDC for the Bobcat miner, all resolved now.  I have Binance in place if in the future I need to trade HNT but I would hope that it soon becomes a tradeable asset on Coinbase. I believe the fees are smaller on there.

I have just ordered the one for now as I wanted to do a bit more research before looking to place them with friends.

@Sam @ Dearne Good luck with the enterprise and good to hear that you'll be significantly increasing the number of hotspots in Sheffield 😉

On 04/07/2021 at 20:56, chipfork said:

Hi both, yes it was issues with Coinbase for the USDC for the Bobcat miner, all resolved now.  I have Binance in place if in the future I need to trade HNT but I would hope that it soon becomes a tradeable asset on Coinbase. I believe the fees are smaller on there.

I have just ordered the one for now as I wanted to do a bit more research before looking to place them with friends.

@Sam @ Dearne Good luck with the enterprise and good to hear that you'll be significantly increasing the number of hotspots in Sheffield 😉

Thanks, there a few people looking to place hotspots in Sheffield. I am in a group with several people in South Yorkshire, we are hoping to help each other out over the coming year by carefully placing hotspots to maximise profit

3 hours ago, Sam @ Dearne said:

Thanks, there a few people looking to place hotspots in Sheffield. I am in a group with several people in South Yorkshire, we are hoping to help each other out over the coming year by carefully placing hotspots to maximise profit

If I can help in any way then please feel free to message me. It's something I explored a while back but never followed up until now albeit with only a single hotspot which won't arrive any time soon 🙁 

Helium price seems to be doing pretty good. How are people doing with the hotspots? Notice there are a few more around Sheffield now. How's it working out? Tempted to get one.

There is a 12-20 week waiting list for the bobcat miners, others are available, mine are due to be shipped in October, so still waiting. The price of HNT is doing very well, however, earnings are dropping due to more people coming onto the network, still worth doing but not as lucrative as it used to be. Sheffield is getting a few more hotspots, when I started there was only 4!