Replacement Washer For Bathroom Tap

I'm needing a washer replacing, on a bathroom sink tap. Can anyone help or recommend anyone to fix it please?

It would help if you stated area where you live, and whether it's an old-style tap or a more modern one which will use a replaceable 'cartridge' style washer system. These will have to be detached from the tap body so as to identify the type as there are many different 'cartridge' styles available.

If it's a quarter turn ,it's the cartridge type

Go on to google how to change a bathroom tap washer and it should link to videos on Utube that are often excellent. The main thing is to identify what washer you need and the best way is to take the old one with you to a proper plumber outlet (not screwfix/toolstation). I found out that when I changed my kitchen tap washer that there were two types of half inch washer and of course I got the wrong one. Start the job in the morning so the outlets are open and you can leave the water turned off

6 hours ago, butlers said:

If it's a quarter turn ,it's the cartridge type

That's a good point, but I think that applies only to the lever types; some round knob types have more than one revolution.

Bigal1- I sense that the OP isn't inclined to attempt a self-repair even though, in theory, replacing a washer/ cartridge should be straightforward.

The Phillips or allen screw securing the tap head could be seized/rounded, and the cartridge itself could be extremely tight to undo.

A friend asked me (I'm not a plumber!) to replace the cartidges on his two kitchen lever taps. I removed the heads and then fixed a combination spanner on the usual 17mm 'nut' that secures the cartridge, but it wouldn't move. I then used a socket with a more than 2ft extension tube on it, but still couldn't budge it, and in the end I gave up. The next day he called in a plumber who managed it but not without difficulty.

Yup ,the valve nut is often horribly tight and it's easy enough for the whole tap to turn and then the tap connector be leaky.

22 hours ago, carosio said:

Bigal1- I sense that the OP isn't inclined to attempt a self-repair even though, in theory, replacing a washer/ cartridge should be straightforward.

The Phillips or allen screw securing the tap head could be seized/rounded, and the cartridge itself could be extremely tight to undo.

A friend asked me (I'm not a plumber!) to replace the cartidges on his two kitchen lever taps. I removed the heads and then fixed a combination spanner on the usual 17mm 'nut' that secures the cartridge, but it wouldn't move. I then used a socket with a more than 2ft extension tube on it, but still couldn't budge it, and in the end I gave up. The next day he called in a plumber who managed it but not without difficulty.

Agree if you hit problems stop and get plumber or someone who knows what they are doing. For me the bigger problem was finding where to turn the hot water off as there were no isolation tap  and in my airing cupboard several taps and I had no idea which was the right one (now marked for future reference)!

It's a good idea to turn them occasionally as they can sieze due to non-use. This can happen to the valves underneath a gas boiler. Also, stop-taps can jam if they are left open tight to the stop; it's best to back off slightly with a quarter turn.