One Britain One Nation Anthem

Guest sibon
46 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Whats wrong with Rule Britannia ?

We could start with the supremacy in the lyrics, or the degrading references to slaves.

Or the dreadful rhymes and dreary tune.

Take your pick.

7 hours ago, the_bloke said:

It's a song as part of a campaign that started in 2005 and has been endorsed by various MPs of all flavours in the past. The lyrics:

.. are probably only offensive to people who hate this country and/or find more pleasure in division than inclusivity. The lyrics are twee yes, but it's a song for kids, not a Dylan opus.

It’s not the lyrics per se, more the ridiculous suggestion that we brainwash little kids by singing “patriotic” songs.

If you want that sort of thing, I believe that North Korea is on the green list.

I've only heard a clip of the chorus, but it sounded dismal anyway. 

What about something along the lines of:

One fles one bone

One true religion

One voice one hope

One real decision 

Wowowowo  etc

😀😀

8 hours ago, Delbow said:

You know, for years now I have genuinely wanted to hear a rational explanation of what this actually means. People who 'hate Britain'. Maybe you're my guy?

I would have thought it quite obvious. People who loathe the country they live in and find every opportunity to talk it down, compare it badly with other countries, lambast the people, the infrastructure, the culture and generally everything about it and find a strange pleasure in doing so. Reminds me of people who watch a newly launched news channel long enough to know the programmes, presenters, production changes over days and weeks then log onto a forum (which they create a new account on every six months) to say how bad it is but they will keep watching it.

Oh, and please respect my pronouns. They/it.

7 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

I would have thought it quite obvious. People who loathe the country they live in and find every opportunity to talk it down, compare it badly with other countries, lambast the people, the infrastructure, the culture and generally everything about it and find a strange pleasure in doing so. Reminds me of people who watch a newly launched news channel long enough to know the programmes, presenters, production changes over days and weeks then log onto a forum (which they create a new account on every six months) to say how bad it is but they will keep watching it.

I don't think anyone like that exists though. I've never met anyone like that. I know people who have many criticisms of whichever country they live in, but they couldn't be accurately described as loathing where they live. I'm also interested in the idea of "the country" you mention - what does that consist of? Surely any society is too complex to boil down to one straightforward concept or idea that we either love or hate?

Guest makapaka

Written by primary school children wasn’t it - 9 year olds in Bradford.

Edited by makapaka

19 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

* - My bold

I don't think anyone could find a person in the whole country who fits this description.

It's the finality of the terms that will stop anyone taking this seriously. 

"My country right or wrong. Anyone who thinks different is a traitor" - seems to fit with this post.

Delbow put it better than me.

Calling people nasty names dosen't make it true.

The TV referance is a bit odd.

They'll never get the words right. Somebody, somewhere will find them offensive.

They'll be revised so much that nobody will remember the latest improved woke version.

Just like Canada, it's still a work in progress. It will be changed at whim, and in two language versions.

For a laugh, watch the lips of the crowd at a Canadian sporting event, nobody knows the current version.

Then of course, they'll come after the flag.  That Union Jack, is oh so colonial, represents religious iconry,  and is outdated.

They changed Canada's to a Red Maple Leaf. So I predict a Red British Flag. I think they still have a few they used to fly over Sheffield Town Hall.

Edited by trastrick

2 hours ago, Flanker7 said:

* - My bold

I don't think anyone could find a person in the whole country who fits this description.

"My country right or wrong. Anyone who thinks different is a traitor" - seems to fit with this post.

It seems to be used as a way to shut down debate. 

"I disagree with you"

"You hate Britain so I WIN"

40 minutes ago, Delbow said:

It seems to be used as a way to shut down debate. 

"I disagree with you"

"You hate Britain so I WIN"

That's poor; it wasn't used in a way to shut down the debate at all.

I just see it as a song to celebrate the country and it's diversity for kids to sing. Maybe I don't read enough negativity into things to instantly dismiss a children's patriotic song as drivel.

2 hours ago, Flanker7 said:

* - My bold

What nasty names?

Where did I call someone a traitor?

FYI the TV reference is based on the posts in the GB news thread, that seems to be entirely composed of people complaining about it but watch it all the time. Life is too short for that.

It's being revised today apparently

One shoe

One sock

Matt Hancocks wandering........

They've got a thinktank working on a rhyme