Sign in to follow this  

Britbox Put Warning Out Before Blackadder 'Chains' Episode

Well here we go again with the warnings about a programme containing strong language and upsetting scenes. I mean lets be honest all the gruesome torture scenes must be in the minds of the idiots that decided the programme needs a warning to viewers. Like someone says in the article the only warning needed is that you might split your sides with laughing.

Blackadder scenes hit with viewer warning (msn.com)

Every TV programme and film on every single streaming service I can think of contains some classification or guidance info that give people a very basic overview of what the content and themes of the programme or film might be. It's not an attack on those programmes by snowflakes or the 'woke'; it's not censorship; it's just a way of allowing people to make an informed decision about whether or not a programme or film may be appropriate for them or maybe for their kids, before they start the programme.

The show was broadcast after the watershed for a reason. That specific episode does contain strong language. It does contain scenes that someone, like a small child or someone who takes offence at sexual innuendo, might find upsetting. We don't all have the same tolerances and there's nothing wrong with giving people some idea of what it is they might be about to watch so they can make an informed choice, based on their personal preferences, as to whether or not they or their loved ones see the programme or film. We've done this for decades with film classifications, we do it with broadcast TV with the concept of the watershed. In both those cases whether or not something is appropriate for a certain audience or a certain time of day is decided by Govt legislation and by people whose job it is to interpret that legislation. Streaming services don't have that. We can play the most (BBFC certified) adult themed content at any hour of the day, therefore the streaming services add guidance info so we know what we might be clicking on.

This article is just clickbait. They had a short quote from Tony Robinson that wasn't enough for a real article and wouldn't generate much traffic to their website if they'd made it the headline so they bolted it on a nothing story with a tabloidy headline guaranteed to trigger certain people in 2021. Hey presto! Loads of clicks and people reposting the link elsewhere so they'll get even more clicks. And that's how marketing works.

Streaming services display the age rating in the program metadata, and most if not all also allow parental controls. We didn't have warnings about content on video tapes which could be watched anywhere anytime, the pre content warnings in videos on streaming services is a modern phenomenon. Britbox also labels shows with warnings on such as 'contains nudity' next to the video thumbnail.

https://www.britbox.co.uk/series/Blackadder_II_36921

I for one don't understand why Britbox do not use the well understood BBFC age ratings instead of `G` which is confusing.

https://help.itv.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000565433-What-does-a-G-Rating-mean-

10 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

Every TV programme and film on every single streaming service I can think of contains some classification or guidance info that give people a very basic overview of what the content and themes of the programme or film might be. It's not an attack on those programmes by snowflakes or the 'woke'; it's not censorship; it's just a way of allowing people to make an informed decision about whether or not a programme or film may be appropriate for them or maybe for their kids, before they start the programme.

The show was broadcast after the watershed for a reason. That specific episode does contain strong language. It does contain scenes that someone, like a small child or someone who takes offence at sexual innuendo, might find upsetting. We don't all have the same tolerances and there's nothing wrong with giving people some idea of what it is they might be about to watch so they can make an informed choice, based on their personal preferences, as to whether or not they or their loved ones see the programme or film. We've done this for decades with film classifications, we do it with broadcast TV with the concept of the watershed. In both those cases whether or not something is appropriate for a certain audience or a certain time of day is decided by Govt legislation and by people whose job it is to interpret that legislation. Streaming services don't have that. We can play the most (BBFC certified) adult themed content at any hour of the day, therefore the streaming services add guidance info so we know what we might be clicking on.

This article is just clickbait. They had a short quote from Tony Robinson that wasn't enough for a real article and wouldn't generate much traffic to their website if they'd made it the headline so they bolted it on a nothing story with a tabloidy headline guaranteed to trigger certain people in 2021. Hey presto! Loads of clicks and people reposting the link elsewhere so they'll get even more clicks. And that's how marketing works.

If your in a nervous disposition about anything on Blackadder you perhaps shouldn't be allowed TV, over sensitive. nanny state nonsense.

9 hours ago, top4718 said:

If your in a nervous disposition about anything on Blackadder you perhaps shouldn't be allowed TV, over sensitive. nanny state nonsense.

How is giving the individual the information needed to make your own informed choice the 'nanny state'? It's literally the opposite of what that silly phrase means.

And if you have a nervous disposition about anything on Blackadder (like a scene where all the characters are dead for example) then perhaps you're a toddler who gets upset at things that wouldn't upset you or me? When they add the guidance they're not just thinking about us, they're thinking about anyone old enough to be plonked in front of a TV and then they're leaving it up to us to decide for ourselves whether everyone in the room with us should be seeing whatever we're about to watch.

26 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

How is giving the individual the information needed to make your own informed choice the 'nanny state'? It's literally the opposite of what that silly phrase means.

And if you have a nervous disposition about anything on Blackadder (like a scene where all the characters are dead for example) then perhaps you're a toddler who gets upset at things that wouldn't upset you or me? When they add the guidance they're not just thinking about us, they're thinking about anyone old enough to be plonked in front of a TV and then they're leaving it up to us to decide for ourselves whether everyone in the room with us should be seeing whatever we're about to watch.

No one has ever been traumatized by Blackadder, ever. Its absolutely ridiculous.

30 minutes ago, top4718 said:

No one has ever been traumatized by Blackadder, ever. Its absolutely ridiculous.

If you say so. Personally I've seen little kids bawling their eyes out for 30 minutes because someone was wearing the wrong colour coat...

5 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

If you say so. Personally I've seen little kids bawling their eyes out for 30 minutes because someone was wearing the wrong colour coat...

Life lessons, wrap people in cotton wall and as soon as something traumatic does happen there's problems, no wonder mental health issues are through the roof.

14 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Life lessons, wrap people in cotton wall and as soon as something traumatic does happen there's problems, no wonder mental health issues are through the roof.

Hmmm... :huh:

If builders these days are using 'cotton wall'...

... I'm not surprised a few people are getting a bit upset! :roll:

I'd much rather see a warning than a cut.  I was surprised to see C4 edited out the line "sh*t for brains" in Crocodile Dundee at 7pm.  C4 used to be really edgy and took risks.

On 28/06/2021 at 12:31, alchresearch said:

I'd much rather see a warning than a cut.  I was surprised to see C4 edited out the line "sh*t for brains" in Crocodile Dundee at 7pm.  C4 used to be really edgy and took risks.

Being edgy and taking risk is one thing but the watershed rule by Ofcom is very strict. That word is obviously a swear word and is not suitable for family viewing at 7pm.   Don't think it's fair to blame C4 for complying with mandatory rules set by the regulator.

10 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Being edgy and taking risk is one thing but the watershed rule by Ofcom is very strict. That word is obviously a swear word and is not suitable for family viewing at 7pm.   Don't think it's fair to blame C4 for complying with mandatory rules set by the regulator.

Jesus wept 🤦‍♂️