Is This Legal

Does anyone know why Sheffield  City Council need to keep  our personal details ,including Bank details for at least 6 years

Probably have to as a legal requirement.

I remember the days when travel agents had to keep air ticket counterfoils for (from memory) 12 years.

That's a lot of paper!

I would suspect it is likely yes. There are set rules regarding retention of data after archiving for so long before it gets destroyed.

I do not know the exact rules off the top of my head but certainly in my own profession, law, we must retain all files for at least 6 years before being destroyed.

It would not surprise me if similar rules apply to government functions, local authorities and/or banks.

Auditing rules - everyone who submits accounts has to keep financial records for 6 years plus the current year (so 7 years in reality).

In answer to the OPs question, yes it is legal - in fact, not to do so is illegal

What a bizarre thread, 6 years is the standard period for this kind of thing, be it public or private sector.

Does the OP wish to tell us the rest of the story?

34 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

What a bizarre thread, 6 years is the standard period for this kind of thing, be it public or private sector.

Does the OP wish to tell us the rest of the story?

Not really bizarre at all  just because you know - not everyone is aware of this and may have come across the clause somewhere

Just now, Bigal1 said:

Not really bizarre at all  just because you know - not everyone is aware of this and may have come across the clause somewhere

I am assuming there is a bit more to the story than that tbh.