Just now, geared said:

Yes?

There is not god given right to council housing, if you can't behave yourself and cause so much strife you get evicted then why should they be re-housed by the council again?  Kick em out and tell them to sod off and sort themselves out.

But then the bleeding heart Liberals will be moaning that they are on the street and the Council should be sorting them out, they cant win either way.

Maybe they could move in with the bleeding heart liberals?

28 minutes ago, geared said:

Maybe they could move in with the bleeding heart liberals?

An excellent suggestion. Those who care the most can then look after (and pay for bills for) the sort of troublemaking people as described upthread.

I seem to remember a clause in the terms for being housed by the council where if you owed them money (rent, council tax) even if you were priority they wouldn't house you until you sorted it out. Presumably to stop you being evicted from one council property to be immediately housed in another and never paying a penny in rent and getting a new place to live every six months.

So if there are conditions like that, I'm amazed that being evicted for what sounds like ASB or being a problem tenant doesn't seem to preclude you from getting a council property again.

3 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

I seem to remember a clause in the terms for being housed by the council where if you owed them money (rent, council tax) even if you were priority they wouldn't house you until you sorted it out. Presumably to stop you being evicted from one council property to be immediately housed in another and never paying a penny in rent and getting a new place to live every six months.

So if there are conditions like that, I'm amazed that being evicted for what sounds like ASB or being a problem tenant doesn't seem to preclude you from getting a council property again.

Quite possibly more to the story.

3 minutes ago, geared said:

Quite possibly more to the story.

Ah, it's not that he's been banned from having a council property, he's just been banned from certain areas due to ASB.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/nuisance-neighbour-banned-from-sheffield-estate-in-2018-now-terrorising-a-new-street-3280575

Sounds like a lovely chap.

3 hours ago, ab6262 said:

such a shame that doesnt happen now!

During and after the War in Heeley, neighborhood crime was almost non existant. No vandalism,  kids could stay out safely in the parks, and on the streets after dark, and old folks were safe.

Back doors were rarely locked, and you could leave your bike out back.

Nobody stole from their neighbors. The community managed to take care of its own quite well.

Just now, trastrick said:

During and after the War in Heeley, neighborhood crime was almost non existant. No vandalism,  kids could stay out safely in the parks, and on the streets after dark, and old folks were safe.

Nobody stole from their neighbors. The community managed to take care of its own quite well.

Oh here we go, the good 'ol days shtick.  Because nothing bad ever happened back then, oh no.

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Load of  crap.

Didn't happen or just didn't get to hear about it as much as nowadays thanks to the instant communication have??   Is life on the street really that much more dangerous today or is it just the exaggerated and sensationalized culture of fear which has grown.

Let's not pretend that burglary, assault, yobbish behaviour, vandalism, paedophilia and granny bashing is some newfangled concept.

You know what we also had back in those "good old days" lower life expectancy, limited welfare state, limited employment rights, child labour, rampant racism, rampant sexism, slums, dire domestic facilities, outside toilets, life-threatening levels of pollution, hazardous industrial practices....  

Some people really do have the rose tinted glasses glued on.  If we were back in the so-called good old days, the clearly mentally disturbed individual subject to the original post would presumably be chucked out onto the streets and left the fester.  

Maybe that's ok to some people but I'd like to think we are slightly more civilised and forgiving than that. The troublemaker clearly has issues for which they of course should be penalised for controlled but as with another hotly debated topic on another thread, we shouldn't be just tossing people aside and abandoning them. 

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Load of  crap.

Didn't happen or just didn't get to hear about it as much as nowadays thanks to the instant communication have??   Is life on the street really that much more dangerous today or is it just the exaggerated and sensationalized culture of fear which has grown.

Let's not pretend that burglary, assault, yobbish behaviour, vandalism, paedophilia and granny bashing is some newfangled concept.

You know what we also had back in those "good old days" lower life expectancy, limited welfare state, limited employment rights, child labour, rampant racism, rampant sexism, slums, dire domestic facilities, outside toilets, life-threatening levels of pollution, hazardous industrial practices....  

Some people really do have the rose tinted glasses glued on.  If we were back in the so-called good old days, the clearly mentally disturbed individual subject to the original post would presumably be chucked out onto the streets and left the fester.  

Maybe that's ok to some people but I'd like to think we are slightly more civilised and forgiving than that. The troublemaker clearly has issues for which they of course should be penalised for controlled but as with another hotly debated topic on another thread, we shouldn't be just tossing people aside and abandoning them. 

That's saved me typing something very similar. 

but the fellas on his 3rd flat ,causing problems again,somthing has to be done,it must be bad for 2 asbos and a 3rd on its way,and what about the innocent neighbours?

18 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Load of  crap.

Let's not pretend that burglary, assault, yobbish behaviour, vandalism, paedophilia and granny bashing is some newfangled concept......

.....Some people really do have the rose tinted glasses glued on.  If we were back in the so-called good old days, the clearly mentally disturbed individual subject to the original post would presumably be chucked out onto the streets and left the fester.  

When people offload their family and community responsibilities, and leave all life's problems to "the government", it just engenders more problems for the Nanny State to solve for them.

Where I live, government support is almost non existent. So people rely on  close knit and extended family, and neighbors, for child support, caring for the aged etc. No nurseries or nursing  homes here to dump the kids and the old folks.

Here the elders of the family (abuelos and abuelas) are the most respected members of the family unit.

They keep house, do the cooking, watch the kids, while the young ones go out to work, and the kids they help raise, respect and love them.

In turn they remain an integral part of the family, among young folks, and remain with the family until they pass.

There's a 100 year old blind granny, who sits in front of the shack, and sways to the music, and listening to the street sounds. She remembers who I am, and I get a hug when I visit. She's surrounded by loving and caring relatives and neighbors.

It's a community I'm privileged to be part of.

When we walk down the street, everybody smiles and says hola. It's a hard life, but they are proud people, self reliant, resourceful, and retain the capacity to be happy and help each other.  I'm old, and there is no NHS, so there is motivation to eat properly, exercise and swim, and remain active. The minor aches and pains are treated with local home remedies that work.

Like the old days in Sheffield, there is crime, but very little directed at the local community. It just isn't tolerated,

Aside from stamping my passport when I arrive, I've had no interact with the government here in the 12 years I've been coming here.

Before I moved here, I lived in a condo apartment in Toronto for five years. I never got to know the neighbors next door, and if you volunteered a "good morning"  it was rare you'd get a  surprised response.  There's far more smiles on the street than I ever saw in Canada or the UK, these last 50 years. They don't complain about their politicians, they mostly ignore them.

There's more than one way to live your life, and you get to make the choice.

Edited by trastrick