Where's The Fairness.?

Having just heard the news regarding Laurel Hubbard the transgender athlete who's been selected for the Olympics I must say how disappointed I am.Dont get me wrong I'm all for equal rights and I don't accept any discrimination of any kind but can someone tell me how this is fair.Not only will she have an unfair advantage on the other athletes but my main issue is the case of Castor Semenya the fantastic athlete who was scrutinised and her private life was made very public with regards to her genetics.Something I might add that is totally out of her control.You can't help what your born with and she had no say in it which is why I'm  writing this as I feel she as been treated appallingly, especially given that Laurel Hubbard is praised for being the first transgender athlete to go to the Olympics which is great in a sense but what about Castor who was hounded and ridiculed for her looks and people said awful things about her which I find disgraceful.So if we are all getting behind Laurel then why didn't anybody get behind Castor.In my eyes she was a fantastic athlete and other athletes who had a problem with her were just jealous.So the question is Where's the fairness ?

It's outrageous and a slap in the face of women who have trained all their lives to reach the top of their sport. 

Even if this person does not win, the place of a women was still taken all in the name of wokeness. 

Sure I read somewhere that Laurel's personal best is still far short of even the womens world record so he/she won't be winning any Olympic medals soon if that is true. 

On 22/06/2021 at 12:55, HeHasRisen said:

Sure I read somewhere that Laurel's personal best is still far short of even the womens world record so he/she won't be winning any Olympic medals soon if that is true. 

Maybe, but it still opens the door for stronger men/women than him/her.

Why are you even calling this person ‘she’? They are essentially male, no amount of surgery or hormonal treatments or whatever, will change that fact.

Unless you’re arguing that they’re a male woman? Perhaps that male is a reference to biological sex, and woman (or she) is a reference to gender, and has no substantive reality and is simply a social construct?

I wonder if somewhere along the line, truth hasn’t been sacrificed on the alter of ‘thou shall not cause offence’. 

Edited by Waldo

On 26/06/2021 at 13:21, Waldo said:

Why are you even calling this person ‘she’? They are essentially male, no amount of surgery or hormonal treatments or whatever, will change that fact.

Unless you’re arguing that they’re a male woman? Perhaps that male is a reference to biological sex, and woman (or she) is a reference to gender, and has no substantive reality and is simply a social construct?

I wonder if somewhere along the line, truth hasn’t been sacrificed on the alter of ‘thou shall not cause offence’. 

Look Waldo I'm not scared to offend as if someone is offended by the truth then that's their problem.At the end of the day Laurel was born a male and will always be a male regardless of surgery etc and it's unfair to compete in women's athletics because of this.Laurel as chosen this path but my point was Castor Semenya didn't.She didn't choose to be born with a genetic defect but lived her life as a woman which is what she was born albeit with raised testosterone which if you tested the entire female population there would be many others.Castor Semenya as been treated appallingly and hung out to dry by the athletics federation who basically said either take suppresents or you cant race anymore.Why when she is a woman should she bow to this pressure when she produces high testosterone naturally not because of medication etc.

I don't know what the answer is Straighttalker. It's just one of those things I guess, no matter how you cut it; there are going to be losers.

I wasn't specifically making a reference to the Castor Semenya situation though, more of a general observation on how we tend to engage in little white lies and deceptions, in order not to be offensive.

On the other hand though, being bluntly honest, feels kind of crass and insensitive. So being dishonest (and, in this case, going along with the charade that Laurel is a she) is perhaps be the kinder thing to do. I feel there's something of conflict though, between truthfulness and kindness. Not sure how other's see it.

Edited by Waldo

Does anyone know any male athletes who were previously women competing in male classes?

It seems that the only transgender athletes are women who were previously men.

It’s a man and totally unfair.

so the trans "athlete" is being allowed today to compete in the Olympics as a women when she can only ever be a man, this is the thin end of the woke wedge, what next Andy murray playing in the womens tennis?? i understand these trannies take drugs to reduce their testosterone but they will still be physically stronger as the male ?? where does this stop or does it??

I agree if born male or female that’s what you are,I think it goes a lot deeper than being transvestite though,in the people’s mind they feel that gender but this person is always going to have an advantage when competing with women.

23 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

so the trans "athlete" is being allowed today to compete in the Olympics as a women when she can only ever be a man, this is the thin end of the woke wedge, what next Andy murray playing in the womens tennis?? i understand these trannies take drugs to reduce their testosterone but they will still be physically stronger as the male ?? where does this stop or does it??

Hmmm... :huh:

I think I read somewhere that there's a marsupial in Australia that has evolved over several generations and who now identifies as 'human'. :confused:

The descendant of the once famous TV actress 'Skippy' is currently in training to beat the Olympic long jump record... :roll: