Is The Hillsborough Area Racist?

Hello all,   

I am an African. I need to move to Sheffield to be near work. But I have heard Sheffield is segragated. Hillsborough would be ideal , I have heard it is a 98% white or something which I do not have an issue with, it is England after all. But just want to know if there is a racist attitude in the area. I just want to get on  with my life without being harrassed. Thanks

1 hour ago, africanperson said:

Hello all,   

I am an African. I need to move to Sheffield to be near work. But I have heard Sheffield is segragated. Hillsborough would be ideal , I have heard it is a 98% white or something which I do not have an issue with, it is England after all. But just want to know if there is a racist attitude in the area. I just want to get on  with my life without being harrassed. Thanks

This is one of the least racist countries in the world, opportunities for anyone who's prepared to put a bit of effort in,

Hillsborough is fine as long as you don't walk around in a Red and  White stripped shirt

Edited by lobster

12 hours ago, top4718 said:

This is one of the least racist countries in the world, opportunities for anyone who's prepared to put a bit of effort in,

Is it more racist for those who don't put a bit of effort in?

14 hours ago, top4718 said:

How do you know?

4 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Is it more racist for those who don't put a bit of effort in?

No they just won't earn as much money, the opportunities are there.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

How do you know?

Name me a country with better opportunities for BAME people, one with black leadership preferably.

I was born and brought up in the Hillsborough area and I visit family and friends in this area quite often - although I've lived and worked in London for many years. It's true to say that Hillsborough is a majority white working class area. There will always be some ignorant fools and racist bigots in any area, although I don't get the impression that Hillsborough is particularly a racist area. I have often visited with black, Chinese or Turkish friends and none have experienced any direct racism. Occasionally, a few heads have turned - like when we've walked into an all-white pub.  Of course, my friends have been aware when they have the only non-white face in a specific venue, but none of my  friends  have told me that they've ever felt threatened or made to feel particularly uncomfortable in the Sheffield 6 area.

That is good to know FIRETHORN1.  Are there non white people/families   like your friends black, chinese etc in area? Or is it majority white with a few pakistani which I know are a large minority in Sheffield. Thanks

1 hour ago, top4718 said:

No they just won't earn as much money, the opportunities are there.

Name me a country with better opportunities for BAME people, one with black leadership preferably.

What on earth has that got to do with racism? Should those BAME people accept whatever racist language gets chucked their way, because they have "better opportunities" than another country?

2 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

What on earth has that got to do with racism? Should those BAME people accept whatever racist language gets chucked their way, because they have "better opportunities" than another country?

You originally questioned why the UK was less racist than elsewhere I answered your question, abuse is directed at many people - fat, thin, short, tall etc etc, I'd rather live somewhere I can rise above that and get myself a good career etc, the opportunity to do that is here in the UK.

39 minutes ago, top4718 said:

You originally questioned why the UK was less racist than elsewhere I answered your question, abuse is directed at many people - fat, thin, short, tall etc etc, I'd rather live somewhere I can rise above that and get myself a good career etc, the opportunity to do that is here in the UK.

You haven't answered any question about racism, you have suggested that there are good opportunities for BAME people. They are not the same.

1 hour ago, africanperson said:

That is good to know FIRETHORN1.  Are there non white people/families   like your friends black, chinese etc in area? Or is it majority white with a few pakistani which I know are a large minority in Sheffield. Thanks

Hi africanperson

I think it's still a majority white area. You see a few non-white people in the Hillsborough area, particularly in the main shopping areas, but not many.  I don't think there's a very big Pakistani community in the Hillsborough area either.  Hillsborough is by and large a majority white area. My London friends have not had any problem with direct racism, but a few have been a bit fed up at having to go into the town centre or to other more ethnically-diverse parts of Sheffield to buy certain foods and cosmetic products - such as yam, plantain, green bananas or certain shampoos, conditioners and skin-care products.