Massive Sheffield Housing Crisis On Its Way?

37 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Now imagine a referendum for every single decision a local authority has to make, would be absolute carnage. There is a reason we vote people in to make decisions on our behalf, whether we like them or not.

Look what happened when we let Dave and Karen who live over on Arbourthorne decide if we should stay in a European trading bloc or not....

Well, yes they can be problematic. I believe California went bankrupt at one point after multiple referendums on reducing tax and increasing public services.  Not to mention all the problems Switzerland has had after referenda vetoing free movement, joining the EU etc. At least in the Swiss case though I believe they have very strict laws on unbiased information, so you can't argue people did not know what they were voting for.

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Look what happened when we let Dave and Karen who live over on Arbourthorne decide if we should stay in a European trading bloc or not....

Look what happened when we let them vote on the same issue back in 1975!

On 03/09/2021 at 13:27, carosio said:

Look what happened when we let them vote on the same issue back in 1975!

[none of which relates to the thread's topic, you know...]

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Neither did the idea of letting the electorate decide every single bit of council policy, but I see you didnt pounce on that one.

But I suppose it was worth bumping the thread after 6 days of inactivity to get a dig in.

Edited by HeHasRisen

I often take a shortcut on Lowedges Road after visiting my favoured garden centre, New Leaf. I don’t know what to think when I see complete neglect on one hand and pride on the other. One house never fails to amaze me by having a very tidy front garden with a selection of topiary bushes, another is an obvious ‘right to buy’ with an artificial stone frontage, along with a small front garden that is so overgrown it could easily contain a hidden lion.

The commercial areas look very down market, as do many of the residents, have the council given up hope? I feel really sorry for the bought property owners, having to put up with scum bag neighbours.

On 03/09/2021 at 08:45, HeHasRisen said:

Jesus christ you want to give the general population that level of responsibility? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 no thanks. 

Also, you are aware that council tax is a small percentage of a local authority budget yes?

And your point is?

On 03/09/2021 at 08:19, Annie Bynnol said:

Why should the

"...all paid for by the hard working tax payers of Sheffield."?

Your point is?

On 03/09/2021 at 08:45, HeHasRisen said:

Jesus christ you want to give the general population that level of responsibility? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 no thanks. 

Also, you are aware that council tax is a small percentage of a local authority budget yes?

Why not if they pay for it they should have a choice how its spent we waste to much money on snowflakes and woke politics 

Stop it. Are you aware how much referenda cost?

On 10/09/2021 at 16:35, Conshefsky said:

Why not if they pay for it they should have a choice how its spent we waste to much money on snowflakes and woke politics 

Go on - tell us how much...........................

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/your-city-council/budgets-and-spending/council-tax-booklet-2021-22.pdf

Edited by Longcol

Guest sibon
On 10/09/2021 at 15:35, Conshefsky said:

Ok. That’s sorted then.

I pay for some of the council’s business and I choose that we don’t waste my taxes having hundreds of pointless referenda. We elect councillors to make decisions, let them get on with it.

On 12/09/2021 at 23:24, sibon said:

Ok. That’s sorted then.

I pay for some of the council’s business and I choose that we don’t waste my taxes having hundreds of pointless referenda. We elect councillors to make decisions, let them get on with it.

Yes. If only decisions were always made by councillors themselves, rather than political groups' pre-meetings or a sub-committee's chair alone, the 'Governance' Referendum would have been wholly unnecessary..

On 10/09/2021 at 16:08, HeHasRisen said:

Stop it. Are you aware how much referenda cost?

Whereas a quick poll on Sheffield Forum costs nothing.

I'd like to see the council use something similar on it's website to guage people's opinions on important issues. Not binding, but a public consultation. In this day and age of every council should have an simple and accessible open forum of some sort .