So, I Need To Get Rid Of A Fridge.

...the problem is two-fold:

- It is too big to get in the car to get to the tip.

- Veolia offer a bulky home waste collection service however their website states that double door American fridge-freezers cannot be collected, which this is. By that token I assume the tip wont accept it either even if I could get there.

Does anyone have any (legal!) suggestions and recommendations as to who can get rid of this for me? Many thanks.

Edited by HeHasRisen

I would have thought that the first thing to do would be to contact veolia and ask their advice after all you are probably not the first person to want to get rid of one

7 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

I would have thought that the first thing to do would be to contact veolia and ask their advice after all you are probably not the first person to want to get rid of one

I have this morning. They cant pick it up due to the oul "health and safety", they cant offer any alternatives other than I can take it myself to one of the five Waste Collection Centres....not helpful when it wont fit in the car mind.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Ask em if you get a man and van is that acceptable.

Or if you are replacing it sometimes A0 etc do a removal service

Guest sibon
21 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I have this morning. They cant pick it up due to the oul "health and safety", they cant offer any alternatives other than I can take it myself to one of the five Waste Collection Centres....not helpful when it wont fit in the car mind.

I had exactly the same problem a few months ago. They refused to collect an American fridge freezer because they are too heavy.

In the end, I got a man with a van (and a waste carriers licence) . The two of us popped said heavy fridge into the van with ease.

It makes you wonder how they deal with the fly tipped fridge freezers that are inevitable given their daft stance.

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

It makes you wonder how they deal with the fly tipped fridge freezers that are inevitable given their daft stance.

Indeed but the council are genius and adapting rules to suit their needs

The question that has not been asked and perhaps should is will the council accept the man in a van without a carriers license assuming that it is just the fridge and perhaps some other waste

1 minute ago, Bigal1 said:

Indeed but the council are genius and adapting rules to suit their needs

The question that has not been asked and perhaps should is will the council accept the man in a van without a carriers license assuming that it is just the fridge and perhaps some other waste

Veolia told me on the phone they would accept an american fridge freezer at the tip, easier said and done when you have to arrange in advance for a van to go on site and you wont know the vehicle reg number!

Rang a couple of places this morning, one quoted me £100, a place in Woodseats just quoted me £50, so some variance. Wondered if anyone had any personal recommendations also.

Sadly the place I had already bought the replacement from doesnt offer a removal of old ones, to be honest I have two other bulky items to get rid of and was happy to use the Veoila "£23.50 for three items" service until that got the kybosh this morning.

Edited by HeHasRisen

I had to move an american fridge once , certainty on the " no fun to be had list"

I removed both the doors made a significant difference.

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Veolia told me on the phone they would accept an american fridge freezer at the tip, easier said and done when you have to arrange in advance for a van to go on site and you wont know the vehicle reg number!

Rang a couple of places this morning, one quoted me £100, a place in Woodseats just quoted me £50, so some variance. Wondered if anyone had any personal recommendations also.

Sadly the place I had already bought the replacement from doesnt offer a removal of old ones, to be honest I have two other bulky items to get rid of and was happy to use the Veoila "£23.50 for three items" service until that got the kybosh this morning.

I’m afraid I don’t have the details of the guy who took mine, but he charged me £50 and was from Woodseats. You might have contacted the same man

Just now, sibon said:

I’m afraid I don’t have the details of the guy who took mine, but he charged me £50 and was from Woodseats. You might have contacted the same man

Howarth Recycling?

Guest sibon
Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Howarth Recycling?

No, not them.  But if they’ll do the job properly for £50, go for it.

Can't help thinking it is odd that these health and safety rules do not apply to retailers who deliver the fridges!!