Sign in to follow this  

Samsung A10 Phone Losing Wifi.

Has anyone had this problem and managed to sort it? I had bt internet installed a week ago and since then my phone keeps losing its connection to the router. I have tried things from the internet to try and solve my problem but not been able to, I also tried contacting bt but getting nowhere. The phone has worked fine with connecting to the internet it's only with this bt connection.  Thanks for any help. Fred.

@Fred GNo guarantees this will work, as I don't use Android devices, but try it anyway. Tell your phone to 'forget' your home network, totally power it down, leave it a couple of minutes, then restart it. Once fully restarted, reconnect to your home network.

Do you have 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi networks with the same name? Some devices can get confused by this.

Hello to you Rollingj,q thanks for getting back to me. I have tried what you suggest but will have to wait and see if my phone disconnects from wifi, sometimes it can stay connected most of the day and then somedays it will disconnect 4or5 times. I will let you know if it has worked. Thanks again Fred.

Hello Andy,  I'm not sure about what you ask I'm not that clued up on tech stuff. The phone loses its connection even when my phone is next to the router. I only use internet for WhatsApp and to search for things. I don't download anything. Sorry. Fred.

Hello RollingJ, I tried what you suggested but it hasn't worked. Thank you again for replying to me. Fred.

13 minutes ago, Fred G said:

Hello RollingJ, I tried what you suggested but it hasn't worked. Thank you again for replying to me. Fred.

Sorry to hear that, but I did say no guarantees. I don't have any experience of Android devices, but was merely hoping they behaved in similar manner to most other electronics - obviously not.

Did this phone work properly on WiFi before having BT installed?

One possibility is that you are using one of the more aggressive power saving modes on the phone, which may turn off the phone's wifi connection when the phone goes to sleep. When the phone is woken up it may take a short while to reconnect to the wifi network. Instructions for checking power saving mode: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-a10/power-saving-mode/

Another option is that the BT router has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks with the same name, which can sometimes cause issues. To change to separate wifi networks follow the instructions in the video below. At 0:42 in the video turn on the 'Separate bands' switch (near right hand side of screen) and set the Network name for the 5GHz band so it is different to the 2.4GHz band (you can just chnage 1 letter if you want). You don't have to change the password.

Hello Andy, Thanks for the help, yes I have had the phone for around 2 years now and it's worked perfect all the time. It's only started playing up since having the bt internet installed. I was on the phone this morning for 40 minutes and they tried to help but its dropped out 7 times today. I will have a look at the video and try what you suggest will let you know how I get on. Thanks again. Fred.

On 20/06/2021 at 10:40, andysm said:

Do you have 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi networks with the same name? Some devices can get confused by this.

They removed the option to split bands on the latest router. I've been using one for a while and it seems to sort things out fairly well. My newer/faster WiFi goes on the 5Ghz, and the slower to the 2.4

I'm not sure if they send out different routers depending on which speed/plan you go for.

Fred G, I've used an S8, S9, A71 and an iPhone 12 on the BT router and never had an issue. If I was trying what's mentioned above by removing the network from your phone, also delete the device in 'My Devices' on the router. Although not a problem on phones up to now, this has caused issues on PCs etc. 

Hello to all that tried to solve my problem, it turns out that the samsung Galaxy A10 doesn't recognise the 5Ghz and it still keeps dropping the 2.4GHz 9 times yesterday. I'm getting a new router and upgrade to fiber next week so will see if I still have the same problem if I do will try a different make of phone. Thanks again to you all. Fred.

If it 'sees' the 5Ghz when you search for a WiFi network, then it supports/recognizes it..

5G is faster, but weaker signal and shorter range...

For Stability, and range, you should be using the 2.4Ghz WiFi - this may however be slower than being on the 5Ghz

it's just the way WiFi works..