Poor Parking Around Burngreave.

1 minute ago, andyofborg said:

no, but enforcement costs money and the council do not have unlimited funds which means decisions must be taken as to the best use of the limited resources. 

the residents in permit zones pay for them because enforcement is part of the deal. 

Ok I get the paying extra, but that does not explain the parking services driving through areas and even, in my experience being held up by inconsiderate and illegally parked vehicles yet doing nothing about it.

these areas should be targeted as bad areas and be treated as such, not ignored.

26 minutes ago, MunXy said:

Ok I get the paying extra, but that does not explain the parking services driving through areas and even, in my experience being held up by inconsiderate and illegally parked vehicles yet doing nothing about it.

these areas should be targeted as bad areas and be treated as such, not ignored.

Have you considered that the staff you have seen being delayed have been specifically tasked to work on other priorities? They can’t just stop where they like and do whatever they want. 

No council in the country has enough enforcement resources to enforce all areas equally,  all the time. They all prioritise. 

Some places, like Burngreave Road, could in the past be enforced by camera. Parking services had a couple of camera vehicles and used them to good effect. The government changed the rules and effectively dictated that only school entrance markings and bus stop clearways can  be enforced by camera. That means parking pcn’s have to be issued by a CEO on foot. It makes the operation much less efficient. The area a CEO can cover isn’t anywhere near as big as can be covered by a camera vehicle. 

Parking Services do the best they can with the resources they have.

If you want more enforcement, you need to tell your councillors. They control the budgets and dictate how much resource each service can have. 

Different politicians will have different views on what level of enforcement activity is proportional, given the extent of the known problems. Depends who is in power and taking the decisions. If there was a groundswell of opinion that consistently higher levels of enforcement were needed and they thought it was a vote winner, I’m sure they’d listen. There are many views on appropriate levels of enforcement activity, the council can’t please everyone. 

26 minutes ago, MunXy said:

in my experience being held up by inconsiderate and illegally parked vehicles yet doing nothing about it.

The contravention has to be something they can actually enforce.

For example, they can’t do anything about obstruction. Only the Police can do that. 

Some places folk can get away with parking on the footway, even when there’s a restriction on the carriageway, because the restrictions in place do not cover the footway, so there’s no contravention the CEO can enforce. 

Edited by Planner1

1 hour ago, MunXy said:

So you take an alternate route because of parking yet ironically say my post should be closed when I point it out?

rutland is extremely busy during peak times because many people use that very same idea as you to avoid spital, even if it may be quicker or simpler.

Inconsiderate parking on Spital Hill isn't the only reason I avoid it at rush hour; the number of buses being funnelled through it is another cause.  It only took a couple of buses to pick up passengers on Spital hill, and the congestion would go all the way back down to the ring road.

And the large supermarket there closed off access to Carlisle street some years back; I could no longer avoid the Spital Hill / Gower Street bottleneck after that, so had to skip that route as suitable shortcut entirely.

The situation has improved a little after the bus stop was moved from outside Mangla further up the road, but I've been taking alternate routes for too long to change back now.

And the bus lanes, oh the bus lane that comes down Burngreave Road from Firs Hill, that serves no purpose other than to frustrate motorists for several minutes at a time as we wait on red for a bus that is still picking up passengers to go through on green.

I'm aware that councils are promoting safer walking routes / bus lanes, so I doubt any of the above will ever change.

So please, as I said earlier, just avoid the area entirely if you can.

Seconded. The Council/Police clearly have no interest in enforcing traffic/parking laws on the Wicker/Spital Hill.  A month or so ago I witnessed five or six buses and (much more worryingly) a "blue light" ambulance delayed whilst some 'entitled' (and inevitably immune from prosecution) individual unloaded umpteen large sacks of 'whatever' from a white van double parked just above Tesco.

Needs clamping (literally) down on so hard that the culprits need to buy new vehicles (tax and insurance might be a bonus).

7 hours ago, Martin C said:

Seconded. The Council/Police clearly have no interest in enforcing traffic/parking laws on the Wicker/Spital Hill.  A month or so ago I witnessed five or six buses and (much more worryingly) a "blue light" ambulance delayed whilst some 'entitled' (and inevitably immune from prosecution) individual unloaded umpteen large sacks of 'whatever' from a white van double parked just above Tesco.

Needs clamping (literally) down on so hard that the culprits need to buy new vehicles (tax and insurance might be a bonus).

That is a bit disproportionate 🤣

8 hours ago, Martin C said:

Loading / unloading is allowed on many parking restrictions, like single and double yellow lines, unless there is a specific loading restriction. 

Obstruction is something only the police can enforce.

Clamping for parking contraventions was outlawed several years ago.

You saw one incident, some time ago, that caused a traffic problem. That is not proof that the Council or the Police don’t want to enforce there.

There are probably a dozen or so CEO’s patrolling at any one time in the whole city. Expecting them to be there to enforce every parking contravention that occurs, isn’t a reasonable expectation. Same goes for the Police.

15 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Loading / unloading is allowed on many parking restrictions, like single and double yellow lines, unless there is a specific loading restriction. 

Obstruction is something only the police can enforce.

Clamping for parking contraventions was outlawed several years ago.

You saw one incident, some time ago, that caused a traffic problem. That is not proof that the Council or the Police don’t want to enforce there.

There are probably a dozen or so CEO’s patrolling at any one time in the whole city. Expecting them to be there to enforce every parking contravention that occurs, isn’t a reasonable expectation. Same goes for the Police.

It shouldn't really need "enforcing" though.  If you actively and selfishly choose to obstruct/block a whole carriageway on a major route in/out of the city for 20 minutes or so just to save yourself wheeling whatever you're loading or unloading that little bit further (the "dead end" of Carlisle St would have involved only a few extra yards/metres in this instance - and not caused any obstruction whatsoever) then you're an arrogant and entitled 'numpty '(other "less-polite" descriptives are available).

On 20/06/2021 at 10:32, Resident said:

Yes, it's the same deal as Wicker/Firvale/Firth Park/Attercliffe/Page Hall, you get the pattern.

In speaking with actual CEOs on the ground, they know about it & want to go into these areas but their bosses, who also know, send them elsewhere, only once in a blue moon, having a couple of hours in a problem area, making a big song and dance about it in local press/social media then allowing business as usual the day after. 

/end thread

What a load of codswallop pal! 

I see the traffic wardens in their little electric  Zoe's, orange lights on,  all the time as I drive through the areas mentioned quite frequently, dishing out tickets.

But despite the tickets people will still park illegally for the sake of selfishness NOT because they are given free reign to,  as you claim.

I see just as much bad/illegal parking across many  areas of Sheffield. 

Some of the most stupidly dangerous is normally a £70K Range Rover parked right across a pavement or on corner of a junction, completely blocking turning view for all other drivers.

Do you know if there is an active edict from the "bosses" to let Range Rovers off to encourage British car manufacturing by any chance??! 😉 

On 21/06/2021 at 01:26, Martin C said:

If you'd helped the van driver, he'd have been gone quicker.

On 20/06/2021 at 11:23, Planner1 said:

I was closely involved with Parking Services for a good few years and during that time neither I nor anyone else there was told by senior managers or councillors not to enforce certain areas. I asked staff whether they had ever received such instructions in the past. They said not.

Why would you ask that?

5 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Why would you ask that?

Maybe to debunk tinfoil theories spouted on here?

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

Why would you ask that?

Because I would often see / hear people making those claims and wanted to definitively  know the truth of it.