Poor Parking Around Burngreave.

I travel around pitsmoor and Burngreave daily, from spital hill around the shops, outside Red Sea cafe/Supermarket and all surrounding roads, just pull up, double park, park on double yellows with kerb marks, in restricted bus stops even on the roundabout at the junction of gower street and ellesmere road, the area between that roundabout and the lights on Burngreave road are a particular favourite all on double yellows yet parking services pass through  often stop occasionally, hand out tickets , never to my knowledge yet if I park on double yellows in town or anywhere else, tickets would shower on me like confetti.

is there a legitimate reason , taxis especially "abandoning" there vehicles in a often dangerous parking situation are often ignored, and yes I've seen it happen , even actively by passed in this area? 

Is this another "don't cause a scene" for the sake of integration in this massively diverse area but shouldn't the law apply no matter what or who is breaking it?

this is not looking for arguments, I'm looking for a simple reason the law is not being applied evenly in different areas of Sheffield.

30 minutes ago, MunXy said:

I travel around pitsmoor and Burngreave daily, from spital hill around the shops, outside Red Sea cafe/Supermarket and all surrounding roads, just pull up, double park, park on double yellows with kerb marks, in restricted bus stops even on the roundabout at the junction of gower street and ellesmere road, the area between that roundabout and the lights on Burngreave road are a particular favourite all on double yellows yet parking services pass through  often stop occasionally, hand out tickets , never to my knowledge yet if I park on double yellows in town or anywhere else, tickets would shower on me like confetti.

is there a legitimate reason , taxis especially "abandoning" there vehicles in a often dangerous parking situation are often ignored, and yes I've seen it happen , even actively by passed in this area? 

Is this another "don't cause a scene" for the sake of integration in this massively diverse area but shouldn't the law apply no matter what or who is breaking it?

this is not looking for arguments, I'm looking for a simple reason the law is not being applied evenly in different areas of Sheffield.

Yes, it's the same deal as Wicker/Firvale/Firth Park/Attercliffe/Page Hall, you get the pattern.

In speaking with actual CEOs on the ground, they know about it & want to go into these areas but their bosses, who also know, send them elsewhere, only once in a blue moon, having a couple of hours in a problem area, making a big song and dance about it in local press/social media then allowing business as usual the day after. 

/end thread

Edited by Resident

1 hour ago, MunXy said:

I've seen enough parking wardens giving out tickets in Page Hall and Fir Vale to contradict your claims that those areas are ignored for the sake of diversity.

I've also seen too few parking warderns giving out tickets in the less diverse areas of the city's restricted parking zones to contradict your claims that if you illegally parked in those areas that you'd get tickets showered on you like confetti.

Mods can close this thread now.

30 minutes ago, Resident said:

Yes, it's the same deal as Wicker/Firvale/Firth Park/Attercliffe/Page Hall, you get the pattern.

In speaking with actual CEOs on the ground, they know about it & want to go into these areas but their bosses, who also know, send them elsewhere, only once in a blue moon, having a couple of hours in a problem area, making a big song and dance about it in local press/social media then allowing business as usual the day after. 

/end thread

Parking Services, as you would expect, prioritise enforcement in some locations.

The city centre and permit zones around it are obvious ones. Major routes and public transport corridors are another at busy times. Areas around school entrances get attention at school run times.

The city centre is an obvious priority. Permit zones are regularly enforced because the council commits to do so when they introduce a zone. Main roads and transport corridors are obvious priorities, particularly at busy times.

I was closely involved with Parking Services for a good few years and during that time neither I nor anyone else there was told by senior managers or councillors not to enforce certain areas. I asked staff whether they had ever received such instructions in the past. They said not.

Politicians are involved in priority setting and they approve the Parking Strategy ( Google it).  School entrances are an example. Councillors get a lot of grief about parking around schools at school run times and want enforcement, so it happens daily. Very few tickets are issued, so if the council were chasing more tickets, the CEO’s would be elsewhere.

All the areas you mention are not permit zones. If they were, they’d be enforced very regularly. The council wanted to put a permit zone in around the Northern General Hospital, the locals rejected it.

The CEO’s are strong minded people and sometimes don’t agree with their deployments and think other priorities should be pursued. They can speak to their managers about it, but the decisions aren’t theirs. 

If people want enforcement action in certain areas they should tell Parking Services and speak to their Councillors. Parking services are happy to tell people how many tickets are issues on particular streets or specific areas. You just need to ask.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Parking Services, as you would expect, prioritise enforcement in some locations.

The city centre and permit zones around it are obvious ones. Major routes and public transport corridors are another at busy times. Areas around school entrances get attention at school run times.

The city centre is an obvious priority. Permit zones are regularly enforced because the council commits to do so when they introduce a zone. Main roads and transport corridors are obvious priorities, particularly at busy times.

I was closely involved with Parking Services for a good few years and during that time neither I nor anyone else there was told by senior managers or councillors not to enforce certain areas. I asked staff whether they had ever received such instructions in the past. They said not.

Politicians are involved in priority setting and they approve the Parking Strategy ( Google it).  School entrances are an example. Councillors get a lot of grief about parking around schools at school run times and want enforcement, so it happens daily. Very few tickets are issued, so if the council were chasing more tickets, the CEO’s would be elsewhere.

All the areas you mention are not permit zones. If they were, they’d be enforced very regularly. The council wanted to put a permit zone in around the Northern General Hospital, the locals rejected it.

The CEO’s are strong minded people and sometimes don’t agree with their deployments and think other priorities should be pursued. They can speak to their managers about it, but the decisions aren’t theirs. 

If people want enforcement action in certain areas they should tell Parking Services and speak to their Councillors. Parking services are happy to tell people how many tickets are issues on particular streets or specific areas. You just need to ask.

Arundel Gate - Main road often busy & transport corridor - Persistently has cars parked on the pavement outside the university building next to the Odeon.  - NO enforcement present despite a DAILY issue

Wicker - transport corridor, probably the busiest after Arundel Gate - Persistently cars parked on double yellows, junctions and bus stop bays. - NO enforcement despite a DAILY issue
Spital Hill/Burngreave Rd - Persistent parking in restricted area and/or double parking - NO enforcement despite a DAILY issue
Attercliffe around junctions of Staniforth Rd & Shortridge St - Parking on restrictions/pavements/bus bays - NO enforcement despite a DAILY issue
Firth Park Centre - Parking on restrictions/pavements/bus bays - NO enforcement despite a DAILY issue.

I could go on and post more but I think you get the jist of what you posted is complete and utter nonsense about priorities. Parking services & council HAVE been told MULTIPLE times by individual members of the public & the transport operators. 

Other than ONE token enforcement event, of which they blew their own horn about in the local media,  in at least 4 years has ever been undertaken on the Wicker and 24hrs later it was back to 'business as usual'.

As for 'not permit zones', from that you're suggesting, as far as parking services/council are concerned, that only areas with permit schemes deserve to be patrolled and enforced, sod everyone else that pays council taxes to pay for the services.

Edited by Resident

43 minutes ago, Resident said:

As for 'not permit zones', from that you're suggesting, as far as parking services/council are concerned, that only areas with permit schemes deserve to be patrolled and enforced, sod everyone else that pays council taxes to pay for the services.

those of us in permit zones pay extra for the enforcement, if you want more enforcement start campaigning for a permit zone.

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

I've seen enough parking wardens giving out tickets in Page Hall and Fir Vale to contradict your claims that those areas are ignored for the sake of diversity.

I've also seen too few parking warderns giving out tickets in the less diverse areas of the city's restricted parking zones to contradict your claims that if you illegally parked in those areas that you'd get tickets showered on you like confetti.

Mods can close this thread now.

Mods can close this just because you claim to have seen in 2 areas enough to contradict me?

jog on mate, round here burngreave and pitsmoor heading up from the wicker, they park in no parking, loading only and bus stops, both sides of the road, blocking traffic often including many ambulances with blue lights on coming from NGH , speak to any regular bus driver that does any of the routes that pass through spital hill and burngreave road they will all tell you, it's insane and at times dangerous.

as for other areas, look at the parking up from western park hospital, the parking services patrol that and are there several times a day handing out tickets, contradict that old boy.

there are areas that get a blind eye and others that are blanketed  with parking services.

so mods you can ignore the joker as he obviously is speaking from a point of ignorance of the facts.

7 minutes ago, MunXy said:

round here burngreave and pitsmoor heading up from the wicker, they park in no parking, loading only and bus stops, both sides of the road, blocking traffic often including many ambulances with blue lights on coming from NGH , speak to any regular bus driver that does any of the routes that pass through spital hill and burngreave road they will all tell you, it's insane and at times dangerous.

I know parking on Spital Hill is bad; it's why I never travel that way at rush hour anymore.

I take Rutland road into the city centre nowadays and I suggest you do the same and give your blood pressure a rest.

9 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

those of us in permit zones pay extra for the enforcement, if you want more enforcement start campaigning for a permit zone.

So essentially what your saying is the laws of the road and parking only apply to those that pay a premium for them?

if that's the case why bother having the restrictive lines, parking restrictions etc anywhere other than in permit zones?

maybe only convict drunk drivers if they can't afford a levy that allows them to drive drunk?

speeding allowed if you pay for the extra miles per hour your can can achieve?

the list is endless.

but I digress, I was originally asking if the laws should be applied to ALL in ALL areas regardless of affluence in that area or any other factors.

Just now, MunXy said:

So essentially what your saying is the laws of the road and parking only apply to those that pay a premium for them?

no, but enforcement costs money and the council do not have unlimited funds which means decisions must be taken as to the best use of the limited resources. 

the residents in permit zones pay for them because enforcement is part of the deal. 

1 minute ago, The Joker said:

I know parking on Spital Hill is bad; it's why I never travel that way at rush hour anymore.

I take Rutland road into the city centre nowadays and I suggest you do the same and give your blood pressure a rest.

So you take an alternate route because of parking yet ironically say my post should be closed when I point it out?

rutland is extremely busy during peak times because many people use that very same idea as you to avoid spital, even if it may be quicker or simpler.

my point is parking in all areas need equal time, not just the permit holding areas, the laws should be upheld regardless of any other factors.

10 minutes ago, MunXy said:

as for other areas, look at the parking up from western park hospital, the parking services patrol that and are there several times a day handing out tickets, contradict that old boy.

there are areas that get a blind eye and others that are blanketed  with parking services.

I was parking by the Hallamshire Hospital several times a week earlier this year, and I can count the number of times I saw parking wardens on the fingers of one hand.

Daily, I see dozens of cars parked on the double yellow lines of Beech Hill road leading all the way up to Broomfield road.  This causes congestion for the buses that park within the turning circle of the Hallamshire, and blocks the road going up the hill.

I think I've see two cars get parking tickets in that time.