Virgin Wifi Speeds

Does anyone know what WiFi speeds I should get im on 350mb package and get 19mbps WiFi speed virgin say this is acceptable for WiFi is this right or am I being fobbed off

I'm on their 200Mb package and I consistently get high speeds across all my home computers.

Even the puny netbook I'm typing on has just gotten over 60Mb in a speedtest.

1) have you tested using a wired Ethernet cable ?

2) are you connected using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz frequency ?

3) does your home computer's WiFi adapter support the higher speeds of 802.11n or 802.11ac ?

3 minutes ago, The Joker said:

I'm on their 200Mb package and I consistently get high speeds across all my home computers.

Even the puny netbook I'm typing on has just gotten over 60Mb in a speedtest.

1) have you tested using a wired Ethernet cable ?

2) are you connected using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz frequency ?

3) does your home computer's WiFi adapter support the higher speeds of 802.11n or 802.11ac ?

Through 2g on phone and tablet ethernet on pc gets 250mbps phone and tab gets around 19mbps and 30mbps max 

Can you create a 5Ghz network and trying again?

I get much faster speeds on 5Ghz than I did on 2.4Ghz, even when the WiFi signal isn't as strong.

6 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Can you create a 5Ghz network and trying again?

I get much faster speeds on 5Ghz than I did on 2.4Ghz, even when the WiFi signal isn't as strong.

I have smart bulbs and smart plugs that only work on 2g so its not to easy the tivo box we can't use catch up we just get message that says WiFi signal is to weak we get spinning circle same as smart TV just feel something isn't right we had no issues with sky everything worked tied to an 18 month contract and can't use half the services had virgin out to look at it they just said they won't guarantee WiFi speed

I've got the Superhub 2, and it can create separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi networks, so my older devices can use the slower, more compatible 2.4Ghz, but my newer devices can use the faster 5Ghz network.

Edited by The Joker

Just now, The Joker said:

I've got the Superhub 2, and it can create separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi networks, so my older devices can use the slower, more compatible 2.4Ghz, but my newer devices can use the faster 5Ghz 

I'll have a try tomorrow  is this something that virgin engineer would have done when they came out they been here 3 times

6 minutes ago, Hans-solo said:

I'll have a try tomorrow  is this something that virgin engineer would have done when they came out they been here 3 times

I can't say if the engineer should have done or not; I expect the engineers would usually deal with hardware faults such as damaged cables or faulty routers, while the call centre workers would deal with software faults or router configuration issues.

It's worth giving their support team a call to guide you through the process of creating a separate 5Ghz network.

It may be you have too many devices on your WiFi, you may need to split them out.. and/or there are too many WiFi networks on the channel your router is using...

download WiFi analyzer, take a look at the channel usage, and which networks are on what channels, find empty / unused channels and set your router to use those in the WiFi settings...

You will need to reconnect your devices (often just a restart to force a re-connection is enough) but if there's less on the channel, then there will be less interference, and less slow-down.

Also, use 2.4Ghz for your 'smart' devices, but use 5Ghz for Laptops and Phones etc where possible..

Also, if a device doesn't need to access the LOCAL network (but needs internet connectivity) - and you have a newer VM Router (Hub 3.0 or newer) you could set up a 'Guest' WiFi network, on a separate channel also, this will still provide internet connectivity, but is separate from your main network/LAN

Edited by Ghozer

According to speedtest …..I was getting 25mbs on WiFi on my iPad earlier today ….but at the moment it’s 215mbs ..? As above depends on WiFi traffic is suppose .

on Virgin ….

Edited by alarmingmark

The virgin hubs used to be rubbish at wifi, I don't know whether that's still true.

I've always put it in modem mode and used a third party wifi router for my wifi.