Ultra-Processed Food

More than half the calories the average person in the UK eats come from ultra-processed foods. New research has linked these foods to early death and poor health. But what is ultra-processed food?

Ultra-processed junk foods such as crisps, hot dogs, chips, ice cream, chocolate and sweetened breakfast cereals,  to low quality ready-made meals are so unhealthy that regular consumption significantly increases the risk of an early death, a study has found.

People who ate a lot of ultra-processed foods were 26 per cent more likely to die from any cause during the eight years of the study than low consumers – and 58 per cent  more likely to die from heart problems.

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/ultra-processed-junk-food-increases-risks-early-death-heart-problems-study-799494

Really worrying.

Generally I'm quite a healthy eater, though having to work from home my diet has gone through the floor, and I'm not exercising as much. I suspect my cholesterol levels are even higher than they were before the pandemic ☹️

23 minutes ago, El Cid said:

More than half the calories the average person in the UK eats come from ultra-processed foods. New research has linked these foods to early death and poor health. But what is ultra-processed food?

Ultra-processed junk foods such as crisps, hot dogs, chips, ice cream, chocolate and sweetened breakfast cereals,  to low quality ready-made meals are so unhealthy that regular consumption significantly increases the risk of an early death, a study has found.

People who ate a lot of ultra-processed foods were 26 per cent more likely to die from any cause during the eight years of the study than low consumers – and 58 per cent  more likely to die from heart problems.

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/ultra-processed-junk-food-increases-risks-early-death-heart-problems-study-799494

What is the likelihood and percentage of people dying from those who don't eat these foods as that is needed as a comparison as this is just percentages. For instance I did read that eating bacon increases the likelihood of increasing the risk of bowel cancer by 18% but the likelihood of dying from bowel cancer though is 16,000 per 65,000,000 and works out at around 0.24%. Now increase that by 18% and you will still see that it is a very low figure indeed. We really need some perspective thinking in all this as for instance with bowel cancer more people die from traffic accidents than bowel cancer.

Just now, El Cid said:

More than half the calories the average person in the UK eats come from ultra-processed foods. New research has linked these foods to early death and poor health.......

It's a shame something as obvious as that makes the news, when it's just plain old common sense.

Your body is a finely designed machine. If you feed it the materials it was designed to process, it will serve you well.

I used to ask my bored students if they had an expensive Italian car, would they put in junk oil and petrol, and water from the local duck pond in the radiator.

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Really worrying.

Generally I'm quite a healthy eater, though having to work from home my diet has gone through the floor, and I'm not exercising as much. I suspect my cholesterol levels are even higher than they were before the pandemic ☹️

Not really.... All designed to scare unnecessarily as no actual proof of causation can be made.

How many of us have eaten a fat topped pizza or a cow face burgers with added addictive sugar ?

How many have bought reduced calorie products, traditional recipe pies,  chilli sauces, British ham and cheese with their lovely water absorbing chemicals, water saturated fruit and vegetables created for water retention properties etc.

Well -we all have!

Our smugness in thinking that only the poor and uneducated eat junk, highly processed foods and blaming the consumer for their choices gives the Government and the food manufacturers an easy excuse to opt out of their responsibilities. 

Junk food is not cheap, is made out of products that would be a difficult sell and are often sold with sauces that are as bad, or worse than the junk they are covering.

Stop blaming the consumer!

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Shocker, people who eat junk food high in sugars and fats are more likely to die than those who don't. How many of those who died of heart problems were also obese due to eating this rubbish?

our national food is fish/chips,so we cannot eat them,even though we ate them as a main diet through 2 ww,cannot eat kentucky,cannot eat mc donalds,cannot eat pizza,cannot eat butter,crisps,pop,beer,wine ect,so its salad leafs/tomatoes and cucumber,no bread,no salad cream,maragrine is bad as well,no salted nuts,no meat as thats bad as well,total madness,forgot no dairy products,milk,cream cheese,eat everything in moderation i say.

4 minutes ago, bassett one said:

our national food is fish/chips,so we cannot eat them,even though we ate them as a main diet through 2 ww,

What makes you think that fish/chips was our main diet through 2 world wars?

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

How many of us have eaten a fat topped pizza or a cow face burgers with added addictive sugar ?

But is sugar addictive? There is definitely a link between sugar and obesity but only a very tenuous link between sugar and sugar addiction. Many people have sugar and yet they don't seem to suffer from any addiction or obesity from using it.

How many have bought reduced calorie products, traditional recipe pies,  chilli sauces, British ham and cheese with their lovely water absorbing chemicals, water saturated fruit and vegetables created for water retention properties etc.

Well -we all have!

True. 

Our smugness in thinking that only the poor and uneducated eat junk, highly processed foods and blaming the consumer for their choices gives the Government and the food manufacturers an easy excuse to opt out of their responsibilities. 

Junk food is not cheap, is made out of products that would be a difficult sell and are often sold with sauces that are as bad, or worse than the junk they are covering.

Stop blaming the consumer!

Me bold... It's the consumer that is to blame though as there is plenty of data available for all to see so they can then to decide on what to follow. Junk food seems to be the choice of the lazy and I agree it's not so much about being poor either as many eat it and have no problems doing so.

Edited by apelike

There's no one size fits all solution for food intake, and the "government" can only advise, but even they get it wrong.

Turns out those eggs, dairy, English Breakfast, beer, wine, coffee and red meat, are not the enemy they've been made out to be. In moderation, of course.

More good news! Now they say fried bread is actually good for you.

But the legendary British crooked and missing teeth, is due in no small part to their love affair with toffee and boiled sweets.

The "woke" folks should sue Thornton's. They must have cost the NHS $millions over the last 50 years or so.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

... It's the consumer that is to blame though as there is plenty of data available for all to see so they can then to decide on what to follow. Junk food seems to be the choice of the lazy and I agree it's not so much about being poor either as many eat it and have no problems doing so.

Every attempt by consumer groups, poverty action groups, healthier living groups are thwarted by Government inaction.

For every pound spent on food education, a hundred thousand is spent on advertising fat.

fessionals 

'Pizza ... ' only sell fat, they claim that salad is free, but you have to buy fat first.

Fat is cheap so colour it, shape it, form it, flavour it out of all recognition, add addictive additives, advertise illegally and immorally, promote brainwashing behaviours etc, etc.

Life is hard enough without having to face down a barrage of professionals who are paid to get to buy things you don't want and another bunch of professionals who are paid to get to buy things that hide the contents and an indifferent government who block simple systems that would help you choose.