New Blood Donation Rules

Today is World Blood Donor day - (it's the birthday of Karl Landsteiner who was the scientist who discovered the ABO blood group system ) - and new donation rules have now come into force so that homosexual men can now donate...

https://www.blood.co.uk/news-and-campaigns/news-and-statements/fair-steering-group/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57445053

Please have a look and give blood if you are able to!!! 

I used to give blood. But then they changed the system to where they wanted you to book so far ahead.   I don’t know where I’m going to be from one day to the next so very difficult to give a date / time I would be free.   Used to be great just turning up . Donating then leaving. 

14 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

I used to give blood. But then they changed the system to where they wanted you to book so far ahead.   I don’t know where I’m going to be from one day to the next so very difficult to give a date / time I would be free.   Used to be great just turning up . Donating then leaving. 

^^^^^^^^^^

This.

It was so convenient to give blood during my lunch hour; I used to donate at least twice a year 👼.

Now I have to book 2 to 3 months in advance?  Sorry, but I don't know what my health will be like next week, let alone a couple of months from now 🙁

Edited by The Joker

Never given blood but walked past the centre in town many a time.

I guess knowing " spaces" are fully booked makes sense but if there's really no slack in system for the odd walk up seems more than a bit poorly thought out.

Edited by butlers

14 minutes ago, butlers said:

Never given blood but walked past the centre in town many a time.

I guess knowing " spaces" are fully booked makes sense but if there's really no slack in system for the odd walk up seems more than a bit poorly thought out.

Don’t hold me to this but I think you can pop in and ask if there have been any cancellations and be allowed to wait a short while in off chance a bed comes free and no one waiting for it. 

Not sure how it works in the English blood service - here in Wales we have an appointments system and also drop-in clinics... Things have changed since last March, in that instead of the WBS travelling to towns/villages etc and setting up  a clinic there for a couple of days and then moving on, a clinic is set up in a specific location for a week or so and donors in that area have to travel to the clinic.

It worked quite well - people were desperate to get out of the house and blood donation was considered "essential travel"!!!

Have you tried booking on-line?? Do they have more appointments that way??