World Student Games- 30yrs!

11 minutes ago, geared said:

Do they even still hold the event these days?

Yes, the next one is in China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universiade

TBH was never sad to see Don Valley Stadium get razed to the ground, the place was a dump.

If you want to see a much worse example of sporting venues being left to rot after the event they were built for was held, go and look at most of the Athens Olympics 2004 venues. Absolutely criminal what has happened to those.

Edited by HeHasRisen

or the Rio Olympics and world cup stadiums.

Some held only a couple of events, I don't think there was any follow-up plan for most of the stadiums after the events ended.

Just now, geared said:

or the Rio Olympics and world cup stadiums.

Some held only a couple of events, I don't think there was any follow-up plan for most of the stadiums after the events ended.

At least London 2012 got that absolutely spot on.  

We just went through with what we'd already said we would do after the games ended.  Other countries made similar promises, but when everyone went home they just sacked it off and let everything to rot.

Now ongoing use is a big talking point, I doubt things will change tho, just shovel some more money into brown envelopes and the organising committee will look the other way as usual.

I fully expect Qatar to follow that well trodden path when their World Cup finished in a few years.

Think Brazil was notable for epic waste too.

Didn't one stadium ,Mannasus? get built for 2 games and there is no local side to even consider using it afterwards.

2 minutes ago, butlers said:

Think Brazil was notable for epic waste too.

Didn't one stadium ,Mannasus? get built for 2 games and there is no local side to even consider using it afterwards.

No, 4 games, including an England one that was originally scheduled at 2pm. In the middle of the jungle. In summer. In the end they swapped it to 5pm local time I think.  A 4th division side now use the stadium.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Don Valley Stadium was a great venue for Athletics. The only problems were that Athletics rarely attracts full houses and there aren't enough top ranking athletes to justify holding events week in, week out.

As for using the stadium to host football or rugby meant having the pitch so far from the stand that it was difficult to watch at that distance. Chuck in that behind the goad fans would be even further from the action and it was a non starter. I think there was a plan for Sheffield United to move to Don Valley, but the club turned it down.

The only covered seats were in the main stand, with the rest uncovered.

From what i remember the only space for a TV gantry was at the finish line, so it would hardly have been suitable for TV coverage of ball games

30 years since the WSG.  Let's celebrate by having a celebratory games down at Don Valley Stadium.....oh hang on.  I see a problem with that Idea. 

Agree with Hopman's comments.  I watched a few SUFC reserve games down at DVS & the players were miles away.  Another problem was that the roof was only on about 1/4 of the stadium, not great if you want to use it for sport or other mass events, outside the summer months & expect people to pay to sit in the rain & freezing winds. 

If you remember, about a decade before the WSG, the then Chairman of SUFC, Reg Bearley, wanted to develop Bramall Lane & basically pay for redevelopment & expansion of Bramall Lane & provide the city with an additional athletic track around the football pitch at no expense to the Sheffield rate payers. 

SCC knocked  Brearley's idea back. 

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Whoopee!

Debt linked to Sheffield's World Student Games to be cleared 33 years on https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-68361306

…and worth every penny for the prestige it brought to the city. Just like it did to the cities of err… err…

Listened to Clive Betts this morning trying to explain the total debt and how the games "only cost £10M and was paid back in a couple of years". SCC then essentially kept remortgaging the loan to the grand total of £650M

So given interest is probably about £40M and the games cost £10M

What did the other £600M go on?

"He said it was the additional loans needed to build the various venues which led to the debt and the perception the event had cost so much was wrong because the council had re-mortgaged the original loan to pay for other services over the years."

Don Valley cost £29M to build

Sheff Arena - £34M

Ponds Forge - £40M

So can reasonably wipe out £120M if you include the improvements to the Lyceum that Betts was crowing about as part of the money spend

So what about the other £480M on "other services"