Ac Power Supp

Simply, will an OLD laptop which says it needs 19V 3.42A work on 19V 2.37A?

I have two 19V Acer laptops one is NEW one is OLD(permanently dead battery and a broken power pin).

The power socket is the same on both 1.1mm , 3.00mm.

The pin on the OLD one is broken and it needs replacing and is difficult to source and costs £7.00.

I can buy a charger for the NEW laptop for £9. 00 and would be a useful spare.

But the 19V output for the OLD charger is 3.42A as is the input of the OLD laptop(no battery).

The 19V output for the NEW charger is 2.37A as is the input of the NEW laptop.

Provided the charger you want to use, is equal to, or higher Amperage, you should be fine...

The Voltage being the same is perfect....

the "3.42A" is just the maximum that charger can handle, so if your new laptop only draws 2.37A, then it will never reach the max...

however, the connectors really aren't that expensive (Usually only £2 or so) and take 5 minutes to repair usually....

46 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Provided the charger you want to use, is equal to, or higher Amperage, you should be fine...

The Voltage being the same is perfect....

the "3.42A" is just the maximum that charger can handle, so if your new laptop only draws 2.37A, then it will never reach the max...

however, the connectors really aren't that expensive (Usually only £2 or so) and take 5 minutes to repair usually....

Thank you. Most helpful.

I am on my third pin! So I just though that for a few more quids I would have a spare charger for the NEW laptop as well. 

Referring to your first sentence, the old laptop would be possibly overloading the 2.27A charger as it would be trying to draw 3.42A?

3 minutes ago, carosio said:

Referring to your first sentence, the old laptop would be possibly overloading the 2.27A charger as it would be trying to draw 3.42A?

Probably not. Although the charger is rated lower all that will mean is it will take a longer time for the laptop to charge as it only has 2.27A available. All modern appliances will only draw what they can from the charger as they have built in protection circuits and in most cases that is much lower than what is rated as its maximum current anyway. It's basically the same as charging a phone. The more powerful the supply and the better the amp rating of the cable is determines how much the phone can pull and how quickly it will charge. 

But may run a bit hotter ….and probably shorten it’s lifespan 

Thanks everyone.

The OLD 19V 3.42A contains a dead battery and does not charge at all.

is your old laptop 3.42A, and the only remaining power supply is the 2.37A? if so I got it the wrong way round...

If this is the case, then I would not use that new (lower rated) charger, on your old laptop... it may work ok, but could potentially cause the power supply to fail early, or nothing at all could happen... but there's still a chance...

If it doesn't get too warm when it's been on a few hours (tried with and without battery) then it might be ok. My PSU (charger) is 19.5V @ 4.62A and feels slightly warm when held in the hand, even when on all day.

Thank you all for your advice.

I have made a repair on the broken pin of the OLD charger. It works but as it the battery is dead the OLD charger pin is partly fixed to the OLD laptop to immobilize the broken pin.

I am now making all the data safe with backups etc. I think the Pin is sturdy enough for a bit. 

The 128Gb SSD in the OLD laptop can be taken out and put in the NEW laptop (both Acers).

Thanks