Jump to content


How Do You Get Sponsorship?

Recommended Posts

It sounded easy but my attempts at getting sponsorship for my daughter have fallen flat. I figured I must be doing it wrong or I'm just thick but I still need to try and sort something out. 

Has anyone here got or had experience successfully getting sponsors for an athlete competing in contact sports? 

I could really do with a shove in the right direction. 

Cheers for reading 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pass a sponsorship form around other parents, or perhaps this is an adult and you want a backer that will give money in return for promoting their bussiness?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Pass a sponsorship form around other parents, or perhaps this is an adult and you want a backer that will give money in return for promoting their bussiness?

Sorry I should have been clear. It's  the bold bit. She's 17 and goes to college full time and goes to the gym 5 to 6 days a week training around 4 to 5 hours a day. She competes in organised fight shows (WKO) and has  fought in quite a few one off events so any company willing to sponsor her would get regional and national exposure. In a short time she'll be taking part in the European championships and her coach expects her to do very well and he's an honest guy so he won't say she'll do well unless he genuinely believes it. 

She's my little superstar 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be proud of your little superstar.  She is certainly dedicated with all of that training.  What about her coach contacting  some supermarkets?  

Hope someone on here points you in the right direction failing that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Sorry I should have been clear. It's  the bold bit. She's 17 and goes to college full time and goes to the gym 5 to 6 days a week training around 4 to 5 hours a day. She competes in organised fight shows (WKO) and has  fought in quite a few one off events so any company willing to sponsor her would get regional and national exposure. In a short time she'll be taking part in the European championships and her coach expects her to do very well and he's an honest guy so he won't say she'll do well unless he genuinely believes it. 

She's my little superstar 😊

In reality, how much regional and national exposure? Is it on the telly? Is it on a youtube channel? Do your daugther do other social media stuff around her sport? What platofrms? How many followers?

 

What are you wanting from a sponsor, money for kit, money for travel expenses, money to live on?

 

Are there some kit items a sponsor could provide? That's a very common form of sponsorship at amateur sports level.

 

Have you been clear what you are asking for from a sponsor and what they might expect in return?

 

You have been very vocal about mask wearing etc on other threads, how might that affect a potential sponsors view, "her Dad was on social media spouting his ideas, which I disagree with massively, no way am I putting my money in that direction...."

 

Please take all the above as stuff to think about, not me having a dig 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

In reality, how much regional and national exposure? Is it on the telly? Is it on a youtube channel? Do your daugther do other social media stuff around her sport? What platofrms? How many followers?

 

What are you wanting from a sponsor, money for kit, money for travel expenses, money to live on?

 

Are there some kit items a sponsor could provide? That's a very common form of sponsorship at amateur sports level.

 

Have you been clear what you are asking for from a sponsor and what they might expect in return?

 

You have been very vocal about mask wearing etc on other threads, how might that affect a potential sponsors view, "her Dad was on social media spouting his ideas, which I disagree with massively, no way am I putting my money in that direction...."

 

Please take all the above as stuff to think about, not me having a dig 🙂

Yeah, sports kit manufacturers will be your one and very probably only bet unless they're going to be on telly very often or they have social media followers in the 10s of thousands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your replies. Its given me plenty to think about. We had a stroke of luck today, turns out one of the members of the gym specialises in gaining funding for charities and the like so he's said hell go through everything with me and see what he can do. Also another gym member has offered to help with it too. She's going to write an email I can then send to as many places as I can. Usually I write my own letters and emails but long story short my health isn't great and I'm struggling with a lot of day to day tasks so having somone take the strain off a big help. 

As an added bonus her coach and his wife have given some free membership which will help a lot and tonight my girl was presented with a gift from the gym of shin guards, pad gloves, new wraps, t-shirt, shorts and a gum shield. We were totally bowled over and if I'm being honest I could have cried she was so happy lol. 

I always pay my way but a messy divorce, unable to work due to having to look after my son and other boring stuff has made things quite difficult which is the reason I'm looking for sponsorship. 

I know no one has suggested otherwise but to be honest looking for sponsorship has been quite a hit to my pride so thank you all for not judging me. 

🙏

15 hours ago, hauxwell said:

You should be proud of your little superstar.  She is certainly dedicated with all of that training.  What about her coach contacting  some supermarkets?  

Hope someone on here points you in the right direction failing that.

 

 

I can't begin to tell you how proud I am. She's had it very hard having to deal with quite bad learning difficulties, her mum leaving and a couple of very traumatic incidents all in a very short space of time. She's been through things no one should have to and she's still battling. She really is an inspiration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

In reality, how much regional and national exposure? Is it on the telly? Is it on a youtube channel? Do your daugther do other social media stuff around her sport? What platofrms? How many followers?

 

What are you wanting from a sponsor, money for kit, money for travel expenses, money to live on?

 

Are there some kit items a sponsor could provide? That's a very common form of sponsorship at amateur sports level.

 

Have you been clear what you are asking for from a sponsor and what they might expect in return?

 

You have been very vocal about mask wearing etc on other threads, how might that affect a potential sponsors view, "her Dad was on social media spouting his ideas, which I disagree with massively, no way am I putting my money in that direction...."

 

Please take all the above as stuff to think about, not me having a dig 🙂

Cheers for your honesty. I do appreciate it and I get you aren't having a dig, just saying it as it is and I'm thankful for that. I'll be chatting to the fundraising guy from my daughters gym when he's in next and hopefully hell help get the ball rolling. Thank you again for your suggestions and words of advice 🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Yeah, sports kit manufacturers will be your one and very probably only bet unless they're going to be on telly very often or they have social media followers in the 10s of thousands.

Sadly her social media followers aren't in the 10s of 1000s but I'll see what can be done to change that. We have masses of videos from training and fights, 1000s of pictures including some professional ones done for Pro Tape (I'm sure that's what the brand is called) so I can make a start uploading those to see if they help. Cheers for your post 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

 

I can't begin to tell you how proud I am. She's had it very hard having to deal with quite bad learning difficulties, her mum leaving and a couple of very traumatic incidents all in a very short space of time. She's been through things no one should have to and she's still battling. She really is an inspiration. 

I find that very touching Daddio,

Can I just wish you and your daughter every success in the future.

Thanks for sharing..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Cheers for your honesty. I do appreciate it and I get you aren't having a dig, just saying it as it is and I'm thankful for that. I'll be chatting to the fundraising guy from my daughters gym when he's in next and hopefully hell help get the ball rolling. Thank you again for your suggestions and words of advice 🙏

You're welcome. You said earlier that looking for sponsorship has been a hit to your pride, no need for you to feel that way, sportspeople getting sponsorship, whether it be kit, wages, travel is part of amateur and professional sport at all levels, and is pretty much essential for someone to progress.

 

Best of luck, and it will be a combination of method, luck and perseverance that finds those sponsors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Padders said:

I find that very touching Daddio,

Can I just wish you and your daughter every success in the future.

Thanks for sharing..

Me too.   Well done to your daughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.