Colin Pitchfork To Be Released From Prison

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

I totally agree, but suffice to say there is no place in civilised society for Pitchfork, life in prison appears to be the only compromise.

I can't get my head around the fact he's even being considered for release.. 

Child rapist/killers should never see the light of day again 

2 hours ago, Janus said:

I think Pitchfork got someone else to take the DNA test on his behalf, initially.

Yes you are correct.  I remember watching a TV mini series about him because he was the first person to be caught using DNA evidence and he did ask a friend to take the DNA test for him.  

Edited by hauxwell

3 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Brady did not become eligible for parole.

As the case goes back to 1966,  his sentence came under a number of versions of "life sentence" as described by the Home Office.

One version was an "indeterminate" sentence was ruled to be a breach of  human rights, This was widely reported at the time and changed for all "whole life" convicts.

Hindley died just before a court decision which could have led to parole.

Pretty sure Brady was detained under section 37/41 of the Mental Health Act, which has no defined end. You can appeal your detention at a mental health tribunal, which he did unsuccessfully at least once, but otherwise it's entirely at the discretion of the secretary of state.

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

I can't get my head around the fact he's even being considered for release.. 

Child rapist/killers should never see the light of day again 

Pitchfork has spent 33 years in prison, have todays jail sentences got shorter?

Certainly seems like that for some crimes, not sure about murder.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Pitchfork has spent 33 years in prison, have todays jail sentences got shorter?

Certainly seems like that for some crimes, not sure about murder.

I'm not sure Tbh. It seems crimes against kids aren't punished nearly harsh enough. 

I used to work for a DIY retailer. I had the misfortune of working in the same place as a weird smelly bloke who just didn't seem right. Anyhow, I left and got on with life then low and behold 1 day recently I saw a picture of him online. He'd been sent to prison for nonce offences. Thing is he was already on the sex offenders register, been done for it twice before then got rumbled again by his probation officer so he was sent to prison. He got (if memory serves) just over 3 years. 

Absolutely pathetic if you ask me. 

Edited by The_DADDY
Spelling

On 07/06/2021 at 13:09, sibon said:

There are a lot of monsters who

go into prisons. You’d hope that 40 years inside would result in some demonsterification.  Otherwise, what’s the point.

It would be useful if the parole board had to publish reasons for their decisions. 

Holding every murderer in prison for ever isn’t possible and isn’t necessary. Let’s hope the decision to release proves to be the correct one.

" demonsterification" ? 

What are you talking about ?

Guest sibon
59 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

" demonsterification" ? 

Soz if it had too many syllables.

Is unmonsterifying any better?

Not sure dictionary corner would let that go..

14 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

" demonsterification" ? 

Rather like a terrorist would be deradicalised. Its not easy to change a persons deep ingrained views and personallity.

Its not even easy to educate a politically right/left voter, so perhaps once a criminal always a criminal, I hope not.

On 09/06/2021 at 10:37, El Cid said:

Rather like a terrorist would be deradicalised. Its not easy to change a persons deep ingrained views and personallity.

Its not even easy to educate a politically right/left voter, so perhaps once a criminal always a criminal, I hope not.

He  could come out of prison a very bitter man wanting to create as much hurt as possible. If he takes the lives of two children, then tops himself, we cannot turn the clock back. 

Edited by Janus

In early June the Parole Board ruled that Pitchfork could be released on licence, saying his behaviour in custody had been “positive and had included extensive efforts to help others”.

He's done such a lot of good in prison that it would be a shame to let him leave.