Colin Pitchfork To Be Released From Prison

The Parole  Board have decided to let this double murderer and rapist have the freedom of our streets, he’ll most probably be housed and given benefits, I wonder what Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth’s families think about this. 

Just now, crookesey said:

The Parole  Board have decided to let this double murderer and rapist have the freedom of our streets, he’ll most probably be housed and given benefits, I wonder what Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth’s families think about this. 

Just to play devils advocate: you do realise it isn't a freebie for the taxpayer to keep him locked up either, don't you?

So your alternative would have to be the death penalty, I’m not a supporter as mistakes cannot be rectified. The cost is irrelevant, he’s the responsibility of the state, who’s actions in this case are not to my taste.

I never said that, you are putting words in my mouth. I merely said if he is in or out of prison it costs the taxpayer regardless.

People do get hung up on the "life" tariff people are given, in practice it never actually means this and he has actually served more than he was sentenced to. (by two years).  I have no idea if he is still deemed a threat to society, if they have decided to release him someone has clearly decided he isn't. Maybe this will prove to be incorrect, who knows.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Guest sibon
23 minutes ago, francypants said:

He's a monster who should die in prison.

There are a lot of monsters who

go into prisons. You’d hope that 40 years inside would result in some demonsterification.  Otherwise, what’s the point.

It would be useful if the parole board had to publish reasons for their decisions. 

Holding every murderer in prison for ever isn’t possible and isn’t necessary. Let’s hope the decision to release proves to be the correct one.

19 minutes ago, sibon said:

There are a lot of monsters who

go into prisons. You’d hope that 40 years inside would result in some demonsterification.  Otherwise, what’s the point.

It would be useful if the parole board had to publish reasons for their decisions. 

Holding every murderer in prison for ever isn’t possible and isn’t necessary. Let’s hope the decision to release proves to be the correct one.

Unless he's a decrepit old man (at 61, who knows his condition) he could do it again If he's fit enough to. I'm not sure killing and brutally murdering (I choose those words carefully) 2 teenage girls is something you can be reformed out of.

I'm not part of the hang em and flog em brigade but I'd be interested in why he wasn't suitable for parole in 2018 but he is now.

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Unless he's a decrepit old man (at 61, who knows his condition) he could do it again If he's fit enough to. I'm not sure killing and brutally murdering (I choose those words carefully) 2 teenage girls is something you can be reformed out of.

I'm not part of the hang em and flog em brigade but I'd be interested in why he wasn't suitable for parole in 2018 but he is now.

I’m with you 100%, he’s societies responsibility so society owed it to to us all to act responsibly. I fear that someone might just dispense their own version of justice and land themselves in prison, he should have been left to die in prison.

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

I’m with you 100%, he’s societies responsibility so society owed it to to us all to act responsibly. I fear that someone might just dispense their own version of justice and land themselves in prison, he should have been left to die in prison.

More fool them if they try that stunt.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

There are plenty of people released from prison who have committed heinous crimes but after incarceration have gone on to lead the rest of their lives without resorting to criminality.

That's the point. Prison is both punishment and an opportunity for change.

Who is in a better position to judge his suitability for re-entering society than those that work with him every day and have an input to his parole judgement, or us who know nothing apart from the headlines of over 30 years ago?

I will admit, when he does get released he will have a very ironic surname.

The answer to anyone thinking the death penalty should return is

https://medium.com › ...A victim of an egregious miscarriage of justice that led to mental health ...