Rowing Machine - Advice Welcomed

My GP wants me to lose weight, my diet is OK but excercise is lacking.  I have lingering problems with a knee which precludes running - I still have to use a stick. He suggests a rowing machine to help with the cardio I have looked on t'net and there is a bewildering variety.  Any suggestions for c.£150-£200? 

I hope I have posted this in the correct thread....

Chubby of S8. 

49 minutes ago, Cyclecar said:

My GP wants me to lose weight, my diet is OK but excercise is lacking.  I have lingering problems with a knee which precludes running - I still have to use a stick. He suggests a rowing machine to help with the cardio I have looked on t'net and there is a bewildering variety.  Any suggestions for c.£150-£200? 

I hope I have posted this in the correct thread....

Chubby of S8. 

Just seen this on eBay that might suit your purposes and it's below your budget.

Thank you, looks ideal. 

Tim.

There's several listed locally on Gumtree for sub £100.

Decent looking machines 

Use the money to join a gym and use all the non-weight bearing equipment.

If they have a swimming pool even better.

The 'Concept 2' rowing machine is by far the best and most commonly found. At £1000 its not cheap hence my advice above.

There is also a fantastic website (or 2) if you're a stats nerd like me.

Spinning is also a great knee workout as its non  weight bearing and gives an wide range of movement.

You have a dodgy knee, and your GP suggested a rowing machine to lose weight? A cumbersome, expensive, and pointless piece of equipment which will put further strain on your knee. It will inevitably sit unused in a corner after a few sessions, especially when you notice that all that effort is doing nothing for your weight loss. Same applies to gym membership.

Anyone serious about losing weight needs to know their calorie intake. Spend a few quid on a kitchen scale, weigh your food, count your calories, reduce your calorie intake. It's the only way.

More (non starchy) veg, less carbs/fat/alcohol/protein/junk food/sweets.

Edited by fools

That's the attitude .😉

2 hours ago, butlers said:

That's the attitude .😉

But true. Weight loss generally comes by diet, rather than exercise, unless you're doing serious volume.

Yup granted but OP says diet is in hand .

It's astonishing but body fat is about as energy dense as petrol

I’d definitely look at diet AND exercise.

With diet, I keep hearing calories are not all the same, sugars are  especially good at turning in to fat as they quickly release their energy; and slow release carbs are better. Can’t remember exactly what the dynamics and processes are, but would think it’s worth some research,

Also, have you considered other exercise forms, swimming for example? Or, if your knee issue doesn’t prevent you, long walks?

All advice read and appreciated.  I have nothing against gyms and 'pools, it's the hassle of getting there, getting changed, and getting back that puts me off.  Wifey has bought me a diet recipe book, but she won't eat any of the stuff.  I will plod on. 

Just read about a new "boil in athe bag" system whereby you encase yourself inside what looks like a hot water bottle and sweat for England.  You might lose weight but pong the house out....🥵

I wouldn't recommend a rowing machine if you have bad knees; you don't necessarily put much load on your knees but you're bending them and straightening them for every row. To row a kilometre I'd estimate 500 rows unless you put some welly into it.