Heads Up - Phone Thief In Sheffield

hope its okay to post this here - just to give folks a heads up so it doesn't happen to you - my young daughter was just robbed of her mobile phone by a bloke pretending to have learning disability

She so upset its horrible, but he's bound to try it again

Basically he wandered in to a Costa with an A4 piece of paper pretending  he didn't understand what was going on - pretended to stumble, put the paper down on top of stuff on the table, got aggressive and left. The paper appear to have something written on it but it happened so fast she couldn't really tell

If anyone see the chap then feel free to PM me and I can pass to police. FWIW we remote erased and blacklisted the phone, but that doesnt get it back or heal the upset and violation

Edited by Skink

This is a well known tactic everywhere and has been happening for decades, and not just in Sheffield.

unfortunately true, but she is only just a teenager and didnt know - painful lesson learnt

total disgrace,to upset and cause a young person all this agro

It is upsetting to hear of such a despicable act, especially on a child.

I had not heard of this method  of stealing, but nothing suprises me.

Skink-are there any cctv in Costa?

54 minutes ago, Janus said:

It is upsetting to hear of such a despicable act, especially on a child.

I had not heard of this method  of stealing, but nothing suprises me.

Skink-are there any cctv in Costa?

As Hehasrisen said , this is a very common method of stealing anything on a table , phones , purses , i pads etc. Been going on years . 

Which is why I never leave anything of value on the table AND keep bags &c under the table. If things are not in sight, the thieving scrotes can't get anywhere near them.

Any info about cctv yet?

2 minutes ago, Janus said:

Any info about cctv yet?

I suspect you cant just give CCTV to a member of the public, there are GDPR requirements and I doubt the Police will be too bothered requesting it as they have better things to do.  I am sure someone may know better than me though.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

I suspect you cant just give CCTV to a member of the public, there are GDPR requirements and I doubt the Police will be too bothered requesting it as they have better things to do.  I am sure someone may know better than me though.

@HeHasRisenyou are correct, you, as a member of the public, have no rights of access to that CCTV footage (if it exists) and the police, unfortunately, will not spend much time, if any, on the crime - distressing as it is for the victim.

Edited by RollingJ

21 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Which is why I never leave anything of value on the table AND keep bags &c under the table. If things are not in sight, the thieving scrotes can't get anywhere near them.

This.

I don't even have a nice mobile phone, but I still treat it like I would a wad of cash, and I don't leave it on a table in public view.