Edwin Brocklehurst At The White Swan

Hi

I'm researching  my family history. I'm looking  for any information about Edwin Brocklehurst's time as landlord of the White Swan, Greenhill. I think he was there in the 1960's but I'm not sure of the exact dates. Edwin was my grandmother's first cousin.

3 hours ago, KLD said:

Hi

I'm researching  my family history. I'm looking  for any information about Edwin Brocklehurst's time as landlord of the White Swan, Greenhill. I think he was there in the 1960's but I'm not sure of the exact dates. Edwin was my grandmother's first cousin.

Is he any relation to Ernest Brocklehurst who had the car dealership and garage just along the road at Meadowhead when it was Four Lane Ends . 50/60s to my memory ?

I used live a couple of doors up from the White Swan. As far as I remember the pub was renovated in 1961 when Ted Brocklehurst took over from Nappers the previous tenants. I think Ted Brocklehurst left in 1972 to take over the Devonshire Arms in Baslow. His wife, Norma, was landlady in both pubs.

Edited by sovrappeso

remember the garage,we used to buy sweets from there on our way to school in the 60s

2 hours ago, sovrappeso said:

I used live a couple of doors up from the White Swan. As far as I remember the pub was renovated in 1961 when Ted Brocklehurst took over from Nappers the previous tenants. I think Ted Brocklehurst left in 1972 to take over the Devonshire Arms in Baslow. His wife, Norma, was landlady in both pubs.

I think thats about right. The Swan was a great pub in those days and Ted was a very good landlord.

the white swan has gone through many landlords since and changes with the times,it even had a shooting a few years back,but thats the times we live in.

Thanks for the replies. Ted is definitely the right person. 

Karen 

On 04/06/2021 at 15:23, Dreb48 said:

Is he any relation to Ernest Brocklehurst who had the car dealership and garage just along the road at Meadowhead when it was Four Lane Ends . 50/60s to my memory ?

I don't think so.

Karen

22 hours ago, sovrappeso said:

Yes this is him. Thanks

The White Swan was a Whitbread pub.

In the 1960's / 1970's their main beers were Whitbread Trophy and Whitbread Tankard. About this time Whitbread ran a TV advertising campaign and used the White Swan for the film location. 

They may have used actors but if your relation was tennant at the time he may have made an appearance. 

12 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

The White Swan was a Whitbread pub.

In the 1960's / 1970's their main beers were Whitbread Trophy and Whitbread Tankard. About this time Whitbread ran a TV advertising campaign and used the White Swan for the film location. 

They may have used actors but if your relation was tennant at the time he may have made an appearance. 

I remember those adverts. The former Sheffield United player, Tommy Hoyland , featured very briefly in one. I don't remember seeing Ted Brocklehurst  though.

31 minutes ago, sovrappeso said:

I remember those adverts. The former Sheffield United player, Tommy Hoyland , featured very briefly in one. I don't remember seeing Ted Brocklehurst  though.

Tommy Hoyland lived locally to the Swan  and had a newsagents  in Greenhill after his playing days 

I realise that this is not relevant to his time at the White Swan but my mother remembers Edwin Brocklehurst growing up on Summerfield Street. She remembers him being in the sea cadets.

If I remember rightly Ted Brocklehurst used to be in the painting & decorating trade just prior to becoming the landlord of the White Swan. During that time he worked with the former ABA middleweight  champion, Eric Ludlam.